Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Braces?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 1:29 pm
DS1 had pretty bad teeth and it was clear to everyone that braces were needed.

DS2 is in eighth grade, his teeth look fine, and braces never came up. However last week at the dentist she said maybe consult with an orthodontist. We were just at the orthodontist and he showed us there is a small area towards the back where the teeth don’t meet - open bite. He said it’s not a medical issue. He said he would suggest braces, and he found some other minor issues to fix.

I wonder though, if it never bothered him, and his teeth look fine, do I put the kid through this? I saw with DS1 how much pain and bother is involved. Also, keeping the teeth brushed and flossed properly with braces is a big job and DS2 is less careful.

Finally, we don’t have a frum high school here so DS will leave to board next year, making it all more complicated…

But of course I want to do what’s best for DS.

What would you do?

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 2:03 pm
Some bites can ruin teeth later.

I’d ask some questions like what would the long term affect on his teeth be if you don’t fix.
Ask both your dentist and orthodontist to get 2 opinions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children