Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Will a half-done kitchen look terrible? Function?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:17 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
4k on counters
30 linear feet (counters are 2 feet deep)

Thanks! Quartz?

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:29 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
4k on counters
30 linear feet (counters are 2 feet deep)

15k cabinets
4k counters
1500 tiling
10k labor

This number doesn't include lighting or appliances etc

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! Quartz?

Yes

harriet

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:09 pm
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
I know you didn’t ask - but please speak to a rav about moving an oven.
It’s not a simple thing are there are precautions you need to take when moving an oven.

I’ve never heard of this being an issue or something you’d need to consult a rav about. Can you explain more?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:37 pm
harriet wrote:
I’ve never heard of this being an issue or something you’d need to consult a rav about. Can you explain more?

Similar to closing up hole that's meant to be there l'zecher chorban. Closing a hole can have some ill effects according to kabalah.

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:39 pm
harriet wrote:

It has to do with sheidim.

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:42 pm
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
Similar to closing up hole that's meant to be there l'zecher chorban. Closing a hole can have some ill effects according to kabalah.

I think you are mixing several things up. You are not supposed to close an opening such as a window, without leaving a small hole or opening. Again, it has to do with sheidim.

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:45 pm
amother [ RosePink ] wrote:
I think you are mixing several things up. You are not supposed to close an opening such as a window, without leaving a small hole or opening. Again, it has to do with sheidim.

Actually, I just found this:
https://www.halacha2go.com/php.....r=433

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 7:03 pm
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
Oh my! Are you my sister?

Maybe Very Happy

Librarian

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 7:33 pm

Moving the oven also has to do with sheidim.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 7:55 pm

Moving an oven is the same issue as closing a window or opening.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

It can’t hurt to ask. Best case your rav wil say it doesn’t apply.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 3:29 pm
Librarian wrote:
Moving the oven also has to do with sheidim.

I know. I meant that the zecher l'churban was getting mixed up with the sheidim.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Feb 28 2022, 3:45 pm
Oh wow! Just stumbled upon this post, and this is quite shocking! I am about to redo my kitchen, and I definitely need to move my oven to a different spot. A. where the oven is right now is dangerous. It is right at the entrance and people can get chalila into the flame on the stove, or knock down a pot. It just makes no sense that it is there in the first place, and is unsafe. B. I may switch to electric stove where the stove and the oven are separate. So altogether I would have to move it. Is there a safe way to do it, without issues or concerns of Sheidim and the like ( I thought many rabbanim are not concerned with Sheidim these days, and that this is a thing of the past).

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, Feb 28 2022, 4:07 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
Oh wow! Just stumbled upon this post, and this is quite shocking! I am about to redo my kitchen, and I definitely need to move my oven to a different spot. A. where the oven is right now is dangerous. It is right at the entrance and people can get chalila into the flame on the stove, or knock down a pot. It just makes no sense that it is there in the first place, and is unsafe. B. I may switch to electric stove where the stove and the oven are separate. So altogether I would have to move it. Is there a safe way to do it, without issues or concerns of Sheidim and the like ( I thought many rabbanim are not concerned with Sheidim these days, and that this is a thing of the past).

Call your rav.

happy12

Post Mon, Feb 28 2022, 4:32 pm
The problem is not with moving a modern oven, it's with moving a fireplace, furnace , or old fashion oven that has a chimney. You can't close up the chimney.

pinkpeonies

Post Mon, Feb 28 2022, 6:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
From asking other people, it sounds like it's a huge range, 10k-50k+. It really depends on how many cabinets, new appliances and plumbing/electric you need done. You can usually have a contractor come to your house and quote you a price, but it sounds like then you need to assume 20-30% more.

I guess it depends on what you want to do. My kitchen reno will cost me minimum 100k so I’m pushing it off for a few years until I can afford it fully.
As to your original question, I would never in a million years do that, the real question is what you are ok with. I can’t live in construction or any place that is not complete (even if it is complete but not fully organized I have a very very difficult time).
But if you are super chilled and it won’t affect you, then kol hakavod! Go ahead!
I personally don’t understand why you wouldn’t just wait until you can afford the whole thing

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 28 2022, 6:49 pm
I would never do half a job.
I’m finally redoing my kitchen now and it’s costing me $80k
I waited until I could afford to do the whole thing.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 28 2022, 7:22 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:

I believe it's from the tzava'ah of R' Yehuda Hachasid. Call your Rav to find out what needs to be done. I have experience with closing windows but not moving ovens so I'd call.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics