Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What does MA stand for?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 1:12 pm
Today in my pediatricians office there was somebody who I thought was a new dr. When I asked the nurse she said he's an MA. What does that mean?

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 1:13 pm
Medical assistant

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 1:33 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
Medical assistant

Is that the same thing as a PA?

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 1:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is that the same thing as a PA?

No
PA is a step under being a doctor
MA is a step under being a nurse.
Most doctors offices will hire MA’s because it costs much less an hour to pay a MA than a registered nurse.
There aren’t too many male ma’s.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 1:45 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
No
PA is a step under being a doctor
MA is a step under being a nurse.
Most doctors offices will hire MA’s because it costs much less an hour to pay a MA than a registered nurse.
There aren’t too many male ma’s.

Thanks for explaining

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 2:00 pm
Off topic, perhaps for a s/o: why does the medical establishment want us to trust MAs and PAs as much as a RN or MD?

miami85

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 2:16 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Off topic, perhaps for a s/o: why does the medical establishment want us to trust MAs and PAs as much as a RN or MD?

A PA has very rigorous training and they can work mostly independently just need "supervision" of Dr for malpractice reasons, but since the DR is liable they have to trust their PAs tremendously.

Nurses don't make their own medical decisions, they are just going about routines that they are familiar with. Medical assistants--again not sure where their expertise ends, perhaps it has to do with medications but have routine assignments that they are trained to do.

geemum

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 3:23 pm
What does PA stand for?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 3:26 pm
geemum wrote:
What does PA stand for?

Physician Assistants

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 5:28 pm
MA's aren't exactly "trusted" with anything too complicated. They do things like take weight and temperature and pass that along to the doctors.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 5:56 pm
seeker wrote:
MA's aren't exactly "trusted" with anything too complicated. They do things like take weight and temperature and pass that along to the doctors.

This
And blood pressure, oxygen or whatever vitals are needed. some do labs too

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 6:03 pm
Sunny Days wrote:
This
And blood pressure, oxygen or whatever vitals are needed. some do labs too

And Covid tests!

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 6:09 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

PA’s level of training is well above that of RN. They’re grouped in the provider level of care along with nurse practitioners.

dena613

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 7:42 pm
PAs and NP s are similar.
Medical asssistants can do basic weight checks, shots, intake...

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 7:45 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

Its not about trusting one more than other. Each one plays a different role on the healthcare team, and is trusted with whatever responsibilites /tasks fall under their jurisdiction

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 8:08 pm
dena613 wrote:
PAs and NP s are similar.
Medical asssistants can do basic weight checks, shots, intake...

MAs are not licensed to give shots.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 8:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Today in my pediatricians office there was somebody who I thought was a new dr. When I asked the nurse she said he's an MA. What does that mean?

I am a certified MA. We could do everything nurses can do. Draw blood, give shots, vitals, etc. Only difference is nurses have more schooling, better pay (significantly), and have all the paperwork. We are also not allowed to give meds and they are. You won't really see MAs in a hospital, more in doctors offices. Doctors would rather pay much less to someone that can do the same thing as a nurse.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 8:13 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
MAs are not licensed to give shots.

I am! In NY they don't let MAs give shots for some reason but everywhere else they can.

bruriyah

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 8:47 pm
miami85 wrote:
A PA has very rigorous training and they can work mostly independently just need "supervision" of Dr for malpractice reasons, but since the DR is liable they have to trust their PAs tremendously.

Nurses don't make their own medical decisions, they are just going about routines that they are familiar with. Medical assistants--again not sure where their expertise ends, perhaps it has to do with medications but have routine assignments that they are trained to do.

It is true that PAs have rigorous training. But they need MD/DO supervision not only for malpractice reasons, but because they are not as rigorously trained as physicians. They can get very good at what they do with experience, but if being a PA were the *same* as being a physician, PAs would just all go to medical school.

Sorry, don’t want to hijack the thread but just had to mention that 😬.

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 8:53 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I am! In NY they don't let MAs give shots for some reason but everywhere else they can.

Ok. I am in NY. I didn't realize it was different elsewhere.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics