Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Cold and fever: do you wait before sending back to school
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:01 am
It’s not covid. Just a cold and fever.
Do you really wait 12-24 hours until sending back to school?
That’s missing so many days of work…

Kids woke up feeling much better after two days of being sick. I can tell they turned a corner for the better but they did have fever before bed last night.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:09 am
No way. A fever before bed wouldn’t disqualify from sending my kid back to school. In NY the weather is terrible today and not the sort of day I’d send my feverish kid out in! 24 hours afebrile is the way to go

DREAMING

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:11 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
No way. A fever before bed wouldn’t disqualify from sending my kid back to school. In NY the weather is terrible today and not the sort of day I’d send my feverish kid out in! 24 hours afebrile is the way to go

A fever would not disqualify sending a child to school?

Op a child that had fever before bed should not be going to school the next day

Classicookie

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:12 am
Even pre covid rule is 24 hours fever free with no meds if they had a fever before bed they can’t go to school today

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:12 am
It has always been the rule 24 hours fever free even before Covid. It’s basic common decency

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:18 am
Also many times fever isn't present or high in the morning and gets higher later on. Definitely no school. Sorry ☹️

exaustedmom

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:21 am
Definitely wait 24 hours fever free. As others said, many times the fever stops for a couple of hours and then comes back.

keym

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:22 am
IME fevers tend to spike in the evening.
My children can run 101 at night, be perfectly fine the whole day and then 101 again at night for 2-3 days as the cold/virus is finishing up.
Yes it's annoying to take off of work.
But that's life of having a toddler/preschooler.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:26 am
24 hours fever free, please moms! Don't be selfish, for your kids sake and for other kids sake as well.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:34 am
The only exception would be if child is on antibiotics for an ear infection, if child feels better and has no fever I would send to school.

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:41 am
Every school I have ever worked at and/or sent my kids to has had a 24 hour fever free rule. If my child is sent home from school with fever for example at 2:00, he can not return until he is fever free for 24 hours and they literally will not let him in. If he had fever on Sunday, it's on my honor not to send him on Monday.

mom!

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:52 am
My pediatrician says fever after 6 pm and the kid can’t go to school the next day.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:05 am
DREAMING wrote:
A fever would not disqualify sending a child to school?

Op a child that had fever before bed should not be going to school the next day

I mis typed. It would disqualify!

tweety1

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:10 am
I wait 24 hours fever free. With the exception if it's 22 hours and the kid has to leave then I send. But if the kid had fever last night the kid can not go to school.

thunderstorm

I would never send a child to school if I knew that he/she had fever. Children usually don’t feel good when they are feverish, regardless of whether they could make others sick or not, it’s not fair to the poor kid.

Chayalle

mom! wrote:
My pediatrician says fever after 6 pm and the kid can’t go to school the next day.

Do we use the same pediatrician? Smile

I was going to post this.

amother
Fern

What about teething? My child has been teething for months now and has been feeling on and off over the last couple of months. If I were to keep him home every time he felt under the weather due to his teething, he’d be home on more days than not. Any advice or suggestions?

I feel bad sending him to playgroup when he's not feeling 100% himself but it seems impossible.

chatz

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:14 am
24 hours fever free.

That's life with little kids.

Besides being school policy, I've found they really need that extra day of rest. Pushing them back to school before they're ready just makes them sicker.

When there's no fever- that can be harder to evaluate.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:14 am
Even if they have an active fever, just give them some Tylenol and off they go. I need school to babysit my children, I don’t pay school for nothing and it’s surely not homework I am looking to get out of it. If my kids are home it infringes on my me time.

SYA

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:15 am
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
What about teething? My child has been teething for months now and has been feeling on and off over the last couple of months. If I were to keep him home every time he felt under the weather due to his teething, he’d be home on more days than not. Any advice or suggestions?

I feel bad sending him to playgroup when he's not feeling 100% himself but it seems impossible.

If it's just teething and not sick then give Motrin just before sending and send the Tylenol with the time it should be given. I always say if they're really kvetchy then call me and I'll pick up the toddler. Usually they get busy playing and forget about the pain.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers