Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
8 year old lost recess...
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:34 am
Ughhh the frum school system is stuck in the dark ages.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:36 am
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:

Not really. Some teachers are just so power hungry.

Sewsew_mom

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:36 am
cbg wrote:
DLKZ- maybe it wasn’t the first time
Please call the teacher
Also-
I would let her know that it’s not ok
1. To forget about her
2. To take away food and drink
I understand that you are not allowed to eat in the classroom

When I was teaching pre-school “TIME OUT” (when needed during recess) was a bench in the play area. There was no way I could forget the child was there.
Also I had a timer

Yes. I will give her a chance to share what's going on. Maybe there is something I'm unaware of. It's not like any teacher ever had to call me about her behavior before. But I honestly don't know why taking away recess would be OK unless a child is being violent (which forsure she wasn't!)
Seems like a rough harmful punishment imho regardless if it wasn't her first time. But I will Def come across as concerned and upset, but willing to hear a diff story.
And my daughter last year came late to school from recess (she went to the bathroom 🙄) teacher sent her out to the principal. Principal wasn't around so my daughter just waited in the office. Noone ever came to get her and they left her there for an hour! I did speak to the teacher and she fibbed up something that didn't actually make any sense but than she actually apologized for neglecting to call for her sooner.
Do teachers forget these are little kids with feelings? Were not talking children who are mega chutzpah, and are causing the whole class a rukus. (which I'm sure there are reasons behind that as well no judgment here) but how do they get away with treating little girls/boys like this.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:37 am
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
OP, I would also call the principal about this, just to let her know what's going on.

Don't do this unless the teacher isn't receptive. I'm going to guess the teacher will apologize or at least express remorse.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:40 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Don't do this unless the teacher isn't receptive. I'm going to guess the teacher will apologize or at least express remorse.

Why not? The principal should know what teachers are up to. I'd first call the teacher then the principal and let the principal know that I'd spoken to the teacher already but I just wanted to make her aware of what happened.

Sewsew_mom

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:43 am
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:
hi, posting anonymously because people may know my story:

I am a victim of what your child went through yesterday. (or worse)
When I was in kindergarten I was sent to the nursery classroom during dismissal time "for 5 minutes" because I did something that I did not know was wrong (looking back, it was something totally age appropriate for a 5 year old)
My teacher forgot about me and I was left in the nursery classroom after all the busses already left with the teachers and staff.
I remember being very afraid as the cleaning crew members kept coming in to clean the classroom. eventually one of the janitors contacted the administrator who then called my parents to come pick me up.

My parents did stick up for me and I appreciated it very much.

You need to come up with a smart way to do it though. Don't attack the teacher. I would say something like "I heard you punished (name), and I'm sure you had reason to do so. However it seems like the punishment was quite harsh. Can you explain what (name) did to deserve such a harsh punishment?" then you can talk to the teacher about being more careful when punishing a student to ensure the consequence is appropriate for the specific action.

I'm so sorry for you. These little things make an impact on our lives forever. These teachers have such an achrayius, do they realize that by taking these jobs?
I love the way you worded it I will speak with her and say exactly this.
Thank you!

Sewsew_mom

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:45 am
Why not? The principal should know what teachers are up to. I'd first call the teacher then the principal and let the principal know that I'd spoken to the teacher already but I just wanted to make her aware of what happened.

Thanks! I'm not ready to go to the principal until I understand if there is more to the story... But I appreciate where your coming from.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:50 am
I had one experience with a child who was docked from recess. And without going into extraneous details (it wasn't the only area of chinuch/discipline where the teacher was just over the top), I switched my next daughter's class to avoid that particular teacher (it was early on, so didn't majorly affect friendships, etc...)

I think you got great advice here. Keep us posted how it plays out.

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:52 am

It seems more like a case of a very inexperienced teacher who has no idea how to discipline.

Sewsew_mom

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:54 am
Chayalle wrote:
I had one experience with a child who was docked from recess. And without going into extraneous details (it wasn't the only area of chinuch/discipline where the teacher was just over the top), I switched my next daughter's class to avoid that particular teacher (it was early on, so didn't majorly affect friendships, etc...)

I think you got great advice here. Keep us posted how it plays out.

She has a wonderful wonderful English teacher. I wouldn't switch her.
I will update!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:55 am
amother [ Ballota ] wrote:
It seems more like a case of a very inexperienced teacher who has no idea how to discipline.

Unfortunately, in my daughter's experience - I can't speak for the OP - it was an experienced teacher who believed in harsh discipline.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:04 am

I once taught in a kiruv school, where we had girls from public schools and inexperienced teachers. A couple of the girls were talking about the differences between public school and their current school and saying that they are so happy not to be in public school because the teachers treat them much better here.

behappy2

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:06 am
I want to point out that in addition to protecting your daughter, talking to her and getting the verbal support and emotional support from you is probably even more important. You are the teacher of her worthiness.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:06 am

Should I start linking stories about horrific teachers and punishments in public school? This is about this specific teacher, no need to trash the frum community over one person's actions.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:08 am
Not ok! I would call the teacher first to corroborate the story and to make sure she knows that you know what happens in the classroom. And the I would call the principal.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:10 am
My sister was once sent out of class for something minor and was forgotten about by the teacher until recess. She was afraid to say anything.
Believe me, my mother came and spoke to the principal and something like that never happened again.

cbg

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:11 am

I don’t agree
Teacher is enough
Don’t make enemies for no reason
Your child will suffer for it
IF- it happens again then I would go to the principal

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:16 am
cbg wrote:
I don’t agree
Teacher is enough
Don’t make enemies for no reason
Your child will suffer for it
IF- it happens again then I would go to the principal

It's not making enemies. It's just giving a heads up to the principal so she knows what her teachers are up to and what's going on in classrooms. I think it's important for a principal to know.

GLUE

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 12:37 pm
When I was in 2nd grade if you did not do your homework the teacher would send you to the office to do it during recess.

Myself and 2 other girls were always being send there. The secretary would give us pretzels,Lolly's and a china jump rope. Doing homework? What's that?

Every ones in awhile another girl would come with us, she would be usually be crying and actually start doing her homework while we would would try to convince her to play china jump rope with us.

Something happened in the middle of the year and the teacher stopped sending us to the office.

octopus

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 1:19 pm
It's mom's choice to involve principal. I personally would wait because if teacher apologizes, that goes a long way. Although, punishments that involve health (deprivation of food) and safety(being left alone in a classroom) really should involve a principal.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics