Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Calling principal over teacher

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 8:47 pm
I’d like to discuss dd s reading and math level. I’m wondering about how up to par she is etc.
but, I don’t really like her teacher from when j met her for a few min at orientation.

Is it okay if I just call the principal directly to discuss my concerns about dd? She has many years exp and I trust her alot. And would like her input and ideas…

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 8:50 pm
Why not? You didn't reach out yet. You can call the principal and if she wants to direct you elsewhere, she can tell you.

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 8:52 pm
I think you should give the teacher a shot. I am not a teacher, but I would be offended if someone called my boss in the first instance to discuss a matter that they knew was under my direct supervision.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 8:53 pm
Speak to the teacher first. As you said, you met her foe a few minutes. If you don’t feel like she knows your child and the expectations you can speak to the principal.

ckk

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 8:53 pm
I’ll reply as a teacher.
When parents do this most likely the principle calls the teacher to ask her how the student is doing. She trusts that her teachers will have a better gauge on the child than herself. So all you’re doing by calling the principle is getting second hand information rather than first hand information. Even in a small school where the principle knows every kid well. Knowing the child and teaching them is different so she would rely mostly on what the teacher says.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 8:57 pm
OOTforlife wrote:
I think you should give the teacher a shot. I am not a teacher, but I would be offended if someone called my boss in the first instance to discuss a matter that they knew was under my direct supervision.

This is why I’m not sure what to do

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 8:59 pm
ckk wrote:
I’ll reply as a teacher.
When parents do this most likely the principle calls the teacher to ask her how the student is doing. She trusts that her teachers will have a better gauge on the child than herself. So all you’re doing by calling the principle is getting second hand information rather than first hand information. Even in a small school where the principle knows every kid well. Knowing the child and teaching them is different so she would rely mostly on what the teacher says.

For sure. I know the principal will for sure ask the teacher. But I trust the principal a lot more to tell me how concerned I have to be and for ideas and tricks of what to do and how…

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 8:59 pm
If I were you, I would schedule a conversation with the teacher. Be prepared in advance with your specific questions. She may surprise you and it may be very informative.

If it's unsatisfactory, then you could always escalate to an assistant principal or principal.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:00 pm
Always call the teacher first. You wouldn't like it if someone went over your head to your boss before giving you a chance to discuss something about your work.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:00 pm
If you want to know how your daughter is doing in school, you need to talk to the teacher. I don't think a principal knows the progress of every student and how they're doing in class. This is something you need to discuss with the teacher.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:03 pm
I was arguing with dh that I really need to call teacher first because it’s not nice to her to go directly to the principal. He was adamant that I’m being ridiculous and just looking for an excuse not to take care of the issue Wink

Even though I trust the principal a lot more I guess I’ll call teacher first! Wish me luck:)

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:05 pm
If you know the principal and trust her then just call her as well after teacher - nothing against teacher and you can stress that to principal just you are concerned and have a relationship with principal
Does not have to be either or

amother
Black

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:07 pm
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
If you know the principal and trust her then just call her as well after teacher - nothing against teacher and you can stress that to principal just you are concerned and have a relationship with principal

I don't think a girls progress in class is something to be discussed with the principal. If something, with the remedial director.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics