Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My 8 year is SO fat!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 4:54 pm
I have not responded till now, however I felt compelled to chime in.
I was that kid. I got chubbier and chubbier! Finally in 10th grade at my physical, I panicked when I saw the numbers on the scale! At that moment, I made the decision to watch what I eat. I lost 16 pounds, fluctuated and struggled again, and eventually lost the weight I needed too. Weight will always be a struggle for me. Honestly, my mother never said a word to me about it. Yet, we didn't always have the healthiest food at home. We were not a salad and water type family. When I got older and started watching my weight, I would make delicious salads that even my brothers loved!
My advice- don't say anything (you already sound like you are doing great!) and make small changes to the food for the whole family to eat healthy. (Maybe you are doing that, don't know your cooking style). My very skinny friends never understood why they would need to exercise or eat healthy- they are thin. It is for overall health- for anyone!
Transition to brown rice/whole grains (slowly- like half white rice, half brown if they need to get used to it), don't fry your schnitzel- bake it, limit the carbs, etc... Make salads they love!
Have a policy- for each junk snack they bring to school, they bring 1 healthy snack. And of course you model this behavior, even though you are thin. If she ever suspects anything, say it has nothing to do and skinny people get health problems also! (my husband is a stick and has major GI issues that never came until marriage; he ate what he wanted before- although there are always genetics but still).
You might be doing all this already but in case not I would say start with this. (You can always go to a nutritionist for guidance, not with her, just in case you need guidance on switching to be more healthy as a family).

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:48 pm
amother [ Oatmeal ] wrote:
Kids in school don’t want salad with chai seeds as their Rosh Chodesh treat.
Of course no kid wants salad and chia seeds for a treat if they are used to donuts and ice cream. That’s basic neurology. But guess what. Dates and raisins used to be a perfectly fine once in a while treat until processed sugar came along. We humans as a species survived for a loooong time before pizza and donuts were invented. Nobody needs it for survival. Everybody would be better off without it. Yes, I know we can’t put the genie back in the bottle but you keep missing the point like that.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics