Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Smart kid getting restless

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:02 pm
What do you do with a smart kid that has no patience sitting through boring subjects? For example she hates kriah because it's boring and repetitive, it's also gibberish to her because she doesn't understand the words she is reading ( tehillim mostly ). She's very advanced in english reading but even though the class is behind her she has no problem with it because every single thing she reads is interesting to her since she understands the stories. The problem is she gets restless and sometimes disturbs the class. But it's not like they can give her other work to do because she needs the practice and needs to finish those sheets. She's in second grade if it matters.

She was tested and has no official issues, other than being restless when she's not stimulated.

trixx

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:05 pm
Why can't she be given other reading? Tehillim should not be used for kriah, it follows no Hebrew or even chumash language patterns.

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you do with a smart kid that has no patience sitting through boring subjects? For example she hates kriah because it's boring and repetitive, it's also gibberish to her because she doesn't understand the words she is reading ( tehillim mostly ). She's very advanced in english reading but even though the class is behind her she has no problem with it because every single thing she reads is interesting to her since she understands the stories. The problem is she gets restless and sometimes disturbs the class. But it's not like they can give her other work to do because she needs the practice and needs to finish those sheets. She's in second grade if it matters.

She was tested and has no official issues, other than being restless when she's not stimulated.

In 2nd grade don’t they do Chumash
Let her start doing sheroshim on flash cards

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:16 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
In 2nd grade don’t they do Chumash
Let her start doing sheroshim on flash cards

Yes she's learning chumash too, I'm just giving an example of a subject she finds boring. She's not going to do more chumash instead of the kriah.

TBW

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:40 pm
for one of my kids that struggled similarly I would send regular books for them to read in class when they were bored as well as activity books like hidden pictures and word searches. All with the teachers permission of course.
Think airplane activities, things that can be done in a seat without too much disturbance.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:42 pm
TBW wrote:
for one of my kids that struggled similarly I would send regular books for them to read in class when they were bored as well as activity books like hidden pictures and word searches. All with the teachers permission of course.
Think airplane activities, things that can be done in a seat without too much disturbance.

They were allowed to do it instead of regular school work or only when they finished?

TBW

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 12:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They were allowed to do it instead of regular school work or only when they finished?

I don't think it was ever 'instead of' but in the younger grades I relied more the teacher's discretion to prompt my child to take out their 'busy work' when they got bored/restless. In the older grades (4/5th and above) my child would just take out their book/word search etc. on their own when their work was finished.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 9:37 am
Been there done that.
There isn't much you can do.

For my 2nd grade daughter, when she fights me on kriah homework, we try to find ways to make it fun. Recently I had her try to sing the kriah to her favorite songs. She loved the challenge.

I know you mentioned kriah in school, but maybe you can find a way to twist it to make it more fun for her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics