Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
8 year old lost recess...
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:50 am
Sewsew_mom wrote:
U nailed it.
I spoke with the teacher. I'm so thankful I posted here before, because I went into the conversation so calm and trusted myself.
Turns out.. Teacher said kids were eating in class and she said it must've been a thing last year that kids were able to eat in class so she made a rule no eating. And my daughter was chewing gum one day - to which the teacher decided was the same thing as eating. She punished her saying she can join the class in 5 minutes, and get her snack and drink for recess. Problem is.. My daughter doesn't know the time. So she sat there the whole time. Teacher forgot. And a diff girl went back to the class and my daughter asked her if she can ask the teacher if she can have her snack back. Teacher said omg she's still there? I didn't realize she never came down. She must've not heard or misunderstood me. But it wasn't supposed to be such a harsh punishment.
She also didn't realize that my daughter didn't even put food eating together with chewing gum, and she was so happy I brought that up. She realized how unclear that can be.

We cleared things up. She was sooo thankful I called because she didn't realize how badly it affected her.
And I told her the next time someone eats in class they may actually be hungry. Maybe u can sit them right outside the classroom to finish their snack.
They are 8. They don't mean to be bad. They may actually just be hungry.
She heard me and agreed..
Thanks for all the support here. This could have ended very differently. ❤️

Oh.. And edit to add.. She didn't once mention about a no chewing gum in school rule. This wasn't about gum. It was about eating..
Now I will go through the handbook about gum chewing because it was brought up and I find it interesting..

I literally can't imagine any school allowing children to chew gum in class.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:55 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
So OP, did you speak to the teacher?
8yr olds are little and I would speak to the teacher for your daughters sake and to get clarity in the whole episode.

My primary boy actually came home from school yesterday telling me that he was sent to the classroom during lunch time and completely missed lunch. He sat by himself in the classroom until his classmates returned. (Poor kid!!!) He had no answer as to why his rebbe sent him there.

Obviously I called the rebbe. His rebbe felt terrible. My son had been pushing on line as the boys were walking to the lunch room so the rebbe sent him to the back of the line.(I guess this is what he does...) so my son was told to go back and he went back to the classroom. And sat there. (Poor kid!!) when I told the rebbe he said he was thinking that a kid was missing but he couldn’t figure out who. (That’s what happens when you’re in charge of 28 5 yr olds...)

Today my son came home and told me that rebbe told him that next time they have pancakes for lunch, (what he missed and felt bad about missing cuz it’s his favorite lunch) he is getting doubles. My son seems happy for it.

Please clarify with the teacher! Call her tonight!

That’s terrible!!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:56 am
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:

For kids with ADHD, it can be in their IEP if suggested by their OT. Then the school HAS to allow it, if the teachers agree that it actually helps.

This doesn't mean a free for all, though. The child has to be responsible enough to not leave used gum everywhere. Gum is a privilege and a learning tool, but there needs to be respect for school property.

If you wouldn't poop on your desk, don't leave used gum there.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 8:24 am
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:

I’m a teacher (high school, not elementary) and I allow my students to chew gum, drink, eat (snacks or even their whole lunch) during class as long as it doesn’t become a distraction (I don’t allow sharing).

I want them to learn. If having a full stomach helps them learn, then they’re free to munch all period.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ Tulip ] wrote:
I’m a teacher (high school, not elementary) and I allow my students to chew gum, drink, eat (snacks or even their whole lunch) during class as long as it doesn’t become a distraction (I don’t allow sharing).

I want them to learn. If having a full stomach helps them learn, then they’re free to munch all period.

What do you do about messes? Does your admin support you in allowing eating ?

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 9:34 am
notshanarishona wrote:
What do you do about messes? Does your admin support you in allowing eating ?

They clean up after themselves. And my admin doesn’t care—or at least they’ve never said anything on the topic. If students are learning, why should it matter if kids eat or not? The goal is creating life long learners and critical thinkers, and if that goal is being met, the little things (like chewing gum or going to the bathroom at designated times) don’t really matter.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 10:03 am
It's not about eating or not eating. It's about being your child's advocate. Your child shouldn't think that they can break the rules and that the parents will run interference but the parents will intervene if the punishment is harsh or unfair.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics