Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
PTs: I have a question for you

6000miles

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:07 am
I know I'm asking for free advice but I don't know who else to ask!!

My baby is 11 months old, (corrected age 10 months, if that matters)
I've been told by a few friends that crawling on all fours is a very important stage, should not be skipped.

My baby can not crawl and he can't get onto all fours. He can sit up and pull himself to wherever he wants to go in a seated position. He stands with support and scoots while holding onto furniture (or my skirt Laugh )

He is very short, still wearing some 3-6 clothes (if its wide cuz he's a chubby one)
So when I put him in a crawling position he freezes, and if I help him put one leg in front of another, he crumples down on the floor. It sounds like it's painful for him, either in his legs or shoulders.

He has always hated tummy time, and if I put him on his tummy he will lay his head on the floor as if to go to sleep. Sometimes he will do a down dog position, but right after that, lay down as if to rest.

Do you think I need to evaluate him and get him therapy? Or am I just being an overdramatic FTM and eventually he will get this crawling thing?

ETA: I can't go to the pediatrician cuz I don't have insurance yet for him, due to covid and he's not an Israeli citizen. Were in the middle of getting it done but until then I'm kinda stuck

Last edited by 6000miles on Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:11 am; edited 2 times in total

Beyla

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:45 am
He looks adorable! I would take him to a pediatrician to have his opinion. Some of my kids crawled some others didn’t but I always checked with a doctor for their developments.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:55 am
DD absolutely despised tummy time, and cried non stop. She cruised and walked before she crawled. She went to crawling for a while because it was faster than wobbling around, but within a month was walking again.

I thought "Oh, she's so smart!" but I found out that later on this was not a good thing. It messed up her left/right brain integration. She ended up needing PT for gross motor skills. I had her do things like walking toe to heel on sidewalk curbs, and at first she couldn't do it. She had to hold my hand to keep from falling over. Eventually she got the hang of it and also developed enough core strenght.

Still, she wasn't able to ride a bicycle until she was almost 8 years old. All of the other kids in the neighborhood were out of training wheels by the time they were 4 or 5. Fortunately she was not embarrassed about her delay, as I didn't make a big deal of it. (When she turned the corner, I did cry with joy for her. I really thought she'd never be able to do the left/right balance and figure it out.)

Left/right integration is extremely important for learning later on in life. For kids with learning issues, many therapists will have them practice crawling even at much older ages, because it stimulates the communication between the two hemispheres.

Your baby will cry and be frustrated, but PLEASE encourage crawling as much as possible. Cut the toes off of some old socks, and use them as padding for the little knees, that will help. Placing a snack or favorite toy just out of reach will also help motivate your baby to move forward.

6000miles

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:14 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
DD absolutely despised tummy time, and cried non stop. She cruised and walked before she crawled. She went to crawling for a while because it was faster than wobbling around, but within a month was walking again.

I thought "Oh, she's so smart!" but I found out that later on this was not a good thing. It messed up her left/right brain integration. She ended up needing PT for gross motor skills. I had her do things like walking toe to heel on sidewalk curbs, and at first she couldn't do it. She had to hold my hand to keep from falling over. Eventually she got the hang of it and also developed enough core strenght.

Still, she wasn't able to ride a bicycle until she was almost 8 years old. All of the other kids in the neighborhood were out of training wheels by the time they were 4 or 5. Fortunately she was not embarrassed about her delay, as I didn't make a big deal of it. (When she turned the corner, I did cry with joy for her. I really thought she'd never be able to do the left/right balance and figure it out.)

Left/right integration is extremely important for learning later on in life. For kids with learning issues, many therapists will have them practice crawling even at much older ages, because it stimulates the communication between the two hemispheres

Your baby will cry and be frustrated, but PLEASE encourage crawling as much as possible. Cut the toes off of some old socks, and use them as padding for the little knees, that will help. Placing a snack or favorite toy just out of reach will also help motivate your baby to move forward.

Yes, that's what ppl have been telling me. wow, crazy story with your dd... I'm just not sure what kind of movements I should do with him to encourage crawling... whatever I found online was not helpful.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:14 am
A few of my children skipped crawling.
I did too.
No left/right integration problems BH. Skipping crawling does not mean this will happen and they all eventually learned to crawl.
It's so convenient because we also late walkers and I can just put these babies down in one place and not worry about where they will go. My current baby does crawl and it's hard to keep track on where she is.
But of course ask your pediatrician. Mine told me who cares when they crawl or walk.
Tummy time is important so just try it out even if you baby cries.
Eta- not a PT, just a mother

6000miles

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:15 am
Beyla wrote:
He looks adorable! I would take him to a pediatrician to have his opinion. Some of my kids crawled some others didn’t but I always checked with a doctor for their developments.

thanks!!! can't go to the pediatrician cuz don't have insurance yet for him, due to covid and he's not an Israeli citizen. Were in the middle of getting it done but until then I'm kinda stuck

Rabbit613

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 7:16 am
If your in Israel can you take him to tipat chalav?

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 7:23 am
As a PT who works in early intervention definitely get I'm evaluated. Even though he is moving around, the fact that he can't hold himself up through his arms, can't stay in hands and knees position etc is a sign of significant weakness. Developmental progression isn't just about that skill but building the foundation and strength for future skills. Most kids who tushy bop have weakness in their core, shoulders, and hands as well as difficulty with trunk rotation, crossing midline, right left integration etc. This impacts building other skills as they grow.
It's not something to panic about, isn't crazy uncommon and is easily (although not necessarily happily on the baby's part) addressed. But the younger you start the better off you are.
Hatzlocha and lots of nachas.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 9:15 am
Hope I can explain this well I'm writing. My doctor told me to lie baby on his back and hold one leg and the opposite arm in each of my hands. Then bring the knee up to the opposite elbow. Alternate sides for 30. Do this 3-4 times a day. My son finally started to crawl properly after a few weeks of doing this consistently.

6000miles

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 12:08 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Hope I can explain this well I'm writing. My doctor told me to lie baby on his back and hold one leg and the opposite arm in each of my hands. Then bring the knee up to the opposite elbow. Alternate sides for 30. Do this 3-4 times a day. My son finally started to crawl properly after a few weeks of doing this consistently.

Thanks. will try it. waiting till he is one to take him for evaluation

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 12:10 pm
6000miles wrote:
Thanks. will try it. waiting till he is one to take him for evaluation

Why are you waiting until he is 1? Keep doing tummy time until you can get an evaluation.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 12:43 pm
6000miles wrote:
I know I'm asking for free advice but I don't know who else to ask!!

My baby is 11 months old, (corrected age 10 months, if that matters)
I've been told by a few friends that crawling on all fours is a very important stage, should not be skipped.

My baby can not crawl and he can't get onto all fours. He can sit up and pull himself to wherever he wants to go in a seated position. He stands with support and scoots while holding onto furniture (or my skirt Laugh )

He is very short, still wearing some 3-6 clothes (if its wide cuz he's a chubby one)
So when I put him in a crawling position he freezes, and if I help him put one leg in front of another, he crumples down on the floor. It sounds like it's painful for him, either in his legs or shoulders.

He has always hated tummy time, and if I put him on his tummy he will lay his head on the floor as if to go to sleep. Sometimes he will do a down dog position, but right after that, lay down as if to rest.

Do you think I need to evaluate him and get him therapy? Or am I just being an overdramatic FTM and eventually he will get this crawling thing?

ETA: I can't go to the pediatrician cuz I don't have insurance yet for him, due to covid and he's not an Israeli citizen. Were in the middle of getting it done but until then I'm kinda stuck

OT over here! Tummy time is super super important. Have you tried a rolled up towel or blanket under him to prop him up? This would be assisted tummy time and will help him to be able to left his head. Make sure to bring his elbows under his shoulders. Start slowly and eventually he can progress to just the floor
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics