Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Women in healthcare, I'm open to advice!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 3:51 pm
I am currently in school for a healthcare-related field. While I always knew there were some things I am squeamish about, unfortunately I have been finding that more and more things are hard for me to handle. I am not dropping out of school- if I really can't handle it, I will look for a job in that field but in a less-clinical type of environment. My question is; I believe a lot of it is mindset-related. Please share with me any and all tips/ideas/mindsets you use to help yourself while working with patients to deal with nausea and passing out feelings:) Thank you!

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am currently in school for a healthcare-related field. While I always knew there were some things I am squeamish about, unfortunately I have been finding that more and more things are hard for me to handle. I am not dropping out of school- if I really can't handle it, I will look for a job in that field but in a less-clinical type of environment. My question is; I believe a lot of it is mindset-related. Please share with me any and all tips/ideas/mindsets you use to help yourself while working with patients to deal with nausea and passing out feelings:) Thank you!

Serious advice- watch the television show ER. Not grays anatomy or any other stupid "medical" show.
ER showed lots and lots of accurate and detailed medical conditions in their episodes. The more you blood and guts you watch the more you will get used to the sight of it.
It's also very entertaining, and educational.
Believe it or not, I watched it during nursing school and lots of times knew the answers the professor asked about, because of what I had seen in the show!

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:21 pm
You just get numb to it. Kind of like vaccinating you kids. You know it needs to be done and it is in the p’s best interest.
In all fairness, I still can’t deal with the smell of necrotic tissue and stage 4 wounds.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:28 pm
amother [ Zinnia ] wrote:
Serious advice- watch the television show ER. Not grays anatomy or any other stupid "medical" show.
ER showed lots and lots of accurate and detailed medical conditions in their episodes. The more you blood and guts you watch the more you will get used to the sight of it.
It's also very entertaining, and educational.
Believe it or not, I watched it during nursing school and lots of times knew the answers the professor asked about, because of what I had seen in the show!

Thank you! I do plan on watching some stuff to get myself exposed at home, in a more "safe" environment, where I likely will not actually pass out or vomit

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:28 pm
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
You just get numb to it. Kind of like vaccinating you kids. You know it needs to be done and it is in the p’s best interest.
In all fairness, I still can’t deal with the smell of necrotic tissue and stage 4 wounds.

I know everyone has their stuff they never get used to. But what do you do about it? You can't just pass out or vomit while trying to deal with the pt...

ETA-I appreciate the validation

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 9:56 pm
Breathe through your mouth. It helps to have a mask on.

Mentally focus on the patient’s story and what they are going through

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 9:59 pm
There are a lot of different areas of medicine and some require more exposure to grossness than others.

I’m a pediatric NP in primary care. I don’t see many disgusting wounds or injuries. Even when I did a rotation in the ER it was mostly routine stuff. Very rarely did a major trauma come in.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 10:03 pm
amother [ Celeste ] wrote:
There are a lot of different areas of medicine and some require more exposure to grossness than others.

I’m a pediatric NP in primary care. I don’t see many disgusting wounds or injuries. Even when I did a rotation in the ER it was mostly routine stuff. Very rarely did a major trauma come in.

Nice. I definitely think I'll have to work in a field that sees minimal crazy stuff. But I need to get through school:(

greenteaorange

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 10:10 pm
Every health care worker I know has their own story of what made them
“ throw up/ gag”
I hate secretions/ suctions
But especially when it’s your patient it’s very much mind over matter!
It’s hard just being a student and observing things seem more gross. Honestly trying to be a little more hands on while seeing these gross things may help u.
If smells are an issue I know a lot of nurses use vapo rub prior to going into a smelly situation

mp5

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 2:25 am
For me, it mostly depends on whether or not I am actively involved in the situation. Like for many years I couldn't watch 'interesting' procedures just to learn, but when a patient is in front of me I have no problem doing what is needed at the time.
Also, no one likes being vomited on or getting blood and worse on them, but when you are dealing with a real person you see the whole person and are less likely to react as you think you would have when imagining this situation.
Plus a lot of good advice already given on strategies to cope and yes, we all encounter those situations that are too much for us and that's okay (as long as we accept that and deal with it after) because we're only human.
It sounds like you are aware of yourself and I am sure you will find the right place for you in your field.
Good luck!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 8:23 pm
Read "Year of the Intern" by Robin Cook. It helped DD a lot as she was in school and doing clinic work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics