Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
BARIATRIC SURGERY INFO
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:10 pm
Hi.
anyone here recently did bariatric surgery and is willing to share information? im looking or any information I can get my hands on.

-which dr did you use? would you recommend?
-what is involved in getting approved through insurance?
-how long is the process to get approved?
-what did pre op, op, and post op look like for you? (how long did you fast before and after)
-how soon after surgery can you go back to work?
-how much did you lose?
-do you have any regrets?
-what age group are you? (still having kids, or after?)
-just want to be sure- can it affect fertility?
-were you able to maintain it? for how long?
-how careful do you have to be afterwards not to gain back? would you recommend seeing a --nutritionist after?

as you can tell, I have loads of questions....if you can share this info and anything else that I left out, it would be a HUUGGEE help!!!
thanks in advance! Very Happy

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi.
anyone here recently did bariatric surgery and is willing to share information? im looking or any information I can get my hands on.

-what did pre op, op, and post op look like for you? (how long did you fast before and after)
-how much did you lose?
-how careful do you have to be afterwards not to gain back? would you recommend seeing a --nutritionist after?

as you can tell, I have loads of questions....if you can share this info and anything else that I left out, it would be a HUUGGEE help!!!

Hi! December will be 3 years since I did it.
I used Dr. Schwack at NYU
My insurance needed 6 months of consecutive weigh-ins by a doctor in order for me to be approved. I was approved pretty quickly.
I was back to myself a week after surgery (possibly sooner but I honestly dont remember)
I lost approx 70 lbs
I was 25 when I did it
As far as I know it doesn't affect fertility, I know a bunch of people that did the sleeve that went on to have healthy pregnancies and babies after. Some of them suffered from infertility before doing it and only had kids once they sleeved.
I was able to maintain my weight for a good 2 years, but I did gain 20 lbs over the past 1.5 years
you definitely need to eat healthy in order to maintain, if you're the type to watch what you eat by seeing a nutritionist I would 100% recommend it.

I don't have any regrets, but im terrified of gaining it all back by my next pregnancy ( thats how I became overweight in the first place)

Good luck!!

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi.

-how much did you lose?

Hi!

It’s been just a year and I’d love to help!
Pm me (will change to anon later) for details.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi.

-how much did you lose?

I’ll try to answer in order…
I had my surgery 3 years ago, I did the gastric bypass, not the sleeve.

- I used Dr. Sadek’s group and highly recommend
- I don’t remember the exact process, I think you need to speak to a nutritionist and a psychiatrist
-took three months to get approval
-I was on a 2 week liquid diet before the surgery….not gonna lie, it was hard! I had a small complication during my surgery (very rare) so I wasn’t able to eat for 3 days after and I needed to stay in the hospital. When I came home I was on liquid for a week and then purées etc.
-I would say about 3-5 days post op you can go back to work. Maybe a week.
-I lost 100lbs
-no regrets at all. One of the best things I’ve ever done for myself.
-I was in my high 20’s when I did it.
-it affected my fertility for the positive. I just had my first child post op. Conceived naturally and smoothed pregnancy and birth BH. In the past I needed help getting pregnant and had really complicated pregnancy.
-I gained 15 lbs in the three years since surgery. BH I’ve maintained that though I’m still trying to lose but it has slowed down.
-you do need to be careful afterwards. It’s not a quick fix, it’s a great tool if used right. A million percent see a nutritionist after.
Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:06 pm
thank you all! anyone else?

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:21 pm
Hi! I did the sleeve it a little over a year ago.
Went to Mexico. Had very good experience there.
I lost so far 50 pounds. Need to lose another 40. Bottom line is that it’s a tool. Bh I can really eat everything now. So I need to be very careful not too. Of course I eat much less by meals, but by grazing you end up eating more than what you’re supposed to.
I’m happy I did it because otherwise I wouldn’t have lost those 50 pounds. It is frustrating to me because I still need to lose. I need to figure out my emotional eating part to this.

Good luck! Happy to answer anything else if you need.

nicole81

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:42 pm
I don't have time to answer everything, but if you are near the NYC area, I highly recommend Dr. Mitchell Roslin. Every single person I know who use him was successful, whereas most people have significant weight gain. In doing your research, keep in mind how far out a bariatric patient is. Lots of people rave about their doctors and their experience in the first couple of years.

I had the vsg over 7 years ago. I lost 140 lbs, which was more than 100% of my excess weight (that's another term to familiarize yourself with so you understand outcome expectations). I had 2 kids after the sleeve. After my first, I became too skinny and malnourished so I put on 15 pounds. I'm still maintaining at that number, which is also over 100% of my excess weight.

Reflux, nausea, dumping syndrome, hypoglycemia are all side effects that affect me from time to time.

I have so much more to say and I know I didn't answer everything, but I need to go to sleep. Feel free to pm me about it anytime. Also join kosher sleevers on Facebook.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:47 pm
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
Hi! I did the sleeve it a little over a year ago.
Went to Mexico. Had very good experience there.
I lost so far 50 pounds. Need to lose another 40. Bottom line is that it’s a tool. Bh I can really eat everything now. So I need to be very careful not too. Of course I eat much less by meals, but by grazing you end up eating more than what you’re supposed to.
I’m happy I did it because otherwise I wouldn’t have lost those 50 pounds. It is frustrating to me because I still need to lose. I need to figure out my emotional eating part to this.

Good luck! Happy to answer anything else if you need.

This is literally me, about the frustration and the emotional eating coming back to the fore

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:49 pm
I had it done 4 years ago in Southern Ocean County hospital

I lost 160 pounds

Feel free to pm if you have specific questions

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 7:13 am
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
This is literally me, about the frustration and the emotional eating coming back to the fore

Any ideas how to help ourselves?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 12:27 pm
ladies its op here. thanks for all your responses I really appreciate it!

right now, my absolutely biggest fear, is going through the whole surgery, physically and emotionally, and losing all that weight, but possibly gaining it back after. I cannot afford the emotional struggle of gaining back!!!
from some of the responses here, it doesnt look to hard to gain back...any advice?

I do have some more questions, but no time now to write, I will do so later.
thanks!!!

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 2:00 pm
Hi!
I did the sleeve 3.5 years ago. I used Dr. Marc Neff in Cherry Hill, NJ (I live in Lakewood). Couldn't be happier with Dr BH!
I lost 100 pounds. 70 in the first 5 months, and 30 for the next 6 months. I maintained that easily for about 1.5 years, and then developed late-onset PCOS, with reactive hypoglycemia, which caused me to start gaining back Crying Crying
Once I started taking care of my medical issues I lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks. Then I got pregnant BH. I gained 14 pounds in pregnancy, and lost 18 with delivery, so I was 4 pounds below pregnancy start!
It was the easiest pregnancy I had, physically.
After pregnancy my hormones are again out of whack, so my weight is still an issue, but that's just me.
Recovery was a bit harder for me than many others. It took me a full 2 weeks to get back to functioning in my house, and another week or 2 to be really back to myself.
I haven't regretted surgery for even a minute!
I would say definitely make sure you listen to the advice of the nutritionists! If you adopt healthy eating habits, even if it's hard, it really can work well for you!

Fox

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 3:52 pm
I had the sleeve gastrectomy procedure six months ago. I've lost 115 pounds total -- about 30 during the six months prior to the procedure and 85 since the surgery.

Although I was in great shape immediately after the surgery, I got severely ill approximately a month afterward. We're not certain it was directly related to the procedure; it might have been an opportunistic virus. But I wound up severely dehydrated and nauseated, and it took me a full month to recover.

The truth is that everyone's "normal" seems a little different.

But here's what I experienced that I think is important:

I, too, considered myself an "emotional eater."

I had two states: having just eaten or being ravenously hungry.

After the procedure, I experienced for the first time in my entire life what it was like to eat and not feel hungry until several hours later. And when I felt hungry, I could eat something rich in protein and not feel hungry for another few hours. What a mechaya!

I mentioned this to the nutritionist I am required to see post-op, and she said, "Oh, yeah. The part of the stomach that's removed is where almost all the grehlin is produced. The surgery changes the whole leptin/grehlin equation." Gosh, you'd think someone would be interested in that finding!

What I discovered was that I was NOT an emotional eater. Rather, when my emotions ran high, I was less able to exert the discipline needed to override my body's insistence that I was starving to death.

OP, you will hear lots of people talk about the fact that bariatric surgery isn't a panacea or an easy fix. From their point of view, that's correct. You'll still need to watch calories and protein intake. You'll need to develop a so-called "healthy lifestyle."

But what those people don't understand is the literal war that obese people must wage against their bodies every waking moment. Imagine holding your breath for a number of minutes. No matter how great your willpower, your body will not allow you to hold your breath for too long. You'll pass out and begin breathing again. The same is true with dieting. If your body is truly fighting you on this, you'll never win.

Bariatric surgery gives you a chance to reset your body's physical and hormonal responses to food. Over the Yomim Tovim, like most of us, I overindulged a bit. I decided to calculate the calories I'd actually consumed: my huge, out-of-control feast added up to 1500 calories or so for the day. Sure, my stomach was smaller, but my appetite had changed even more. What seemed like a lot of food was probably half of what everyone else was eating.

The truth is that we know very little about the science of obesity. I've mentioned this article in the past, but I think it's a critical read for anyone with an interest in the subject. It also explains why bariatric surgery is sometimes such a game changer.

https://aeon.co/essays/blaming.....wrong

While there are certainly downsides and hassles associated with it, if bariatric surgery seems like it would help, I recommend pursuing it.

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:45 pm
Fox you are lucky to have experienced that.
At 7 months out my appetite returned full force
8 months I got cravings, my mind was taken over as it was before.
I had the honeymoon. Now it’s over and the battle of the mind is intense.
I eat smaller portions, so I’m not gaining weight.

I was a very slow loser, I lost 50lbs. I’m close to healthy BMI, but I’m struggling to lose the last 6 kilo to get me into the healthy range.

I don’t have the freedom you talk of.

Fox

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:53 pm
amother [ Mayflower ] wrote:

8 months I got cravings, my mind was taken over as it was before.

Lol! I did get cravings! But for the strangest things! For example, I was obsessed with mushrooms for about a month. Right now, it's milk.

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:55 pm
Fox wrote:
Lol! I did get cravings! But for the strangest things! For example, I was obsessed with mushrooms for about a month. Right now, it's milk.

Lol enjoy your milk and mushrooms!

My cravings are for sugar, carbs and handbags.

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 7:17 pm
I’d like to hear from those of you post surgery 7 years or more. Everybody I know starts regaining after 5 years.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 8:39 pm
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
I’d like to hear from those of you post surgery 7 years or more. Everybody I know starts regaining after 5 years.

I would also be interested in hearing from people that have made it past the 5 year mark.

thank you all for your answers, I appreciate the time you take in answering them.

nicole81

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 8:43 pm
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:

Exactly what everyone should be doing as part of their research. I gave my doctor recommendation above based on myself and 4 other patients I know who went there. I sent my coworker there 6 years ago and she's also maintained more than 100% of her excess weight loss.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 9:07 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Exactly what everyone should be doing as part of their research. I gave my doctor recommendation above based on myself and 4 other patients I know who went there. I sent my coworker there 6 years ago and she's also maintained more than 100% of her excess weight loss.

He does a different procedure then others?
Whether there are complications post op or even down the line might depend on expertise. But how does long term prognosis depend on the doctor?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise