Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is this normal behavior for ground meat?

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 9:27 pm
Bought meat a few days ago - mixed ground beef and chicken. Sell by date is today, I figured I'm good to split it into smaller packages and freeze it if I do it by today.

I take it out of the fridge (has been consistently cold since purchased) and it looks a little greenish. Even weirder, when I took it to a different room, it looked more grayish/brown than green. It just looks green in fluorescent light and not green in incandescent light.

What is going on and is this meat safe?!

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 9:30 pm
The brown/ grey I think can happen from oxidation - and only happens on the outside. But green I never saw. Would not feel good about green meat.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 10:04 pm
Update: I opened it. It smells normal enough. Under where the labels were was fine and pink. All the inside is fine and pink, so I guess it's just discoloration - which I have seen before in brown/gray. The greenish tinge spooks me though and I want to know what's causing it. Meanwhile, I am freezing it and giving it to a friend who is not as squeamish as me - on account of it's within its best by date and smells fine and is pink inside.

SG18

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 4:17 am
It sounds normal. However, in the future- I always split up and freeze meat the day that I buy it. It preserves freshness the best that way.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 4:53 am
Meat like that can smell fine, but when you fry up a little bit of it you can tell if the smell seems a bit off, or if it tastes a tiny bit off. If that's the case, you can give it to the feral cats in your neighborhood, or throw it out.

I'm pretty frugal about my food, but I don't mess around with meat. Unless you have a perfect sense of smell, stay on the safe side. Even since Covid, I've had to be even more careful, because I can't smell nearly as well as I used to.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 5:55 am
Maybe it’s just the fluorescent lighting
Take to a window look at it with sunlight
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen