Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Help me find a new for MYSELF
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 4:47 am
My father doesn't like zeidi he thinks it sounds old but my mother doesn't like saba..so as of now he's zeidi and I think he's getting used to it Yes

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 4:49 am
my brother called my grandmother some nick name when he was little and that's what stuck till today(he's 25)

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 4:52 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:

I love this!!!!sending it to my grandma LOL

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 5:01 am
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
I love this!!!!sending it to my grandma LOL

Sending it to my mother - my baby's 5 months old and she hasn't chosen a name yet! LOL

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 5:17 am
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:
Sending it to my mother - my baby's 5 months old and she hasn't chosen a name yet! LOL

I sent it to my mother too..

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 5:27 am
Savti a young spin on a regular name

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 5:41 am
The Queen is known to her (great) grandchildren as Gan-gan.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 6:42 am
I'm a happy Savta (and any name, when pronounced by adorable grandchildren, becomes precious), but one of my particularly youthful machatanistas chose Noonie.

Posting anonymously because it's distinctive.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 6:47 am
Does it need to be Hebrew or Yiddish?

I had a Grandma Alice on one side, and a Grammy on the other. My great grandma was called Macca for some reason. I don't think anyone remembers why, though.

In the UK, a lot of people shorten it to "Gran", and I like that. "My gran lives in Manchester."

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 7:03 am
How about “Ba” , just like those that say “Ma” for Mommy.

My kids call their grandparents “Bobby (Last name)” .

advocate

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 7:43 am
While I love Bubbly (!), I think Greenteaorange and Copper gave great advice!

Mazel tov!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 9:32 am
My father’s Mather said that Bubby is too old, so she chose Gandma.
My mother’s mother said Grandma is for old ladies, so she chose Bubby.
My parents go by Bubby and Zaidy.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 10:04 am
I know a Gaga.

Our is Babushka but I'm pretty sure that's not what your look for Laugh

wiki

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 10:28 am
The Ladino term for grandmother is "Nona," and I knew some people who had Nonas as a kid. It's pretty.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 11:36 am
I’m the oldest in my family and when I had my first, my dad wanted to be Zaidy but my mom just couldn’t chose anything she liked, everything felt to “old” to her and she was practically still a mom of toddlers herself.
When my oldest was old enough to talk, hearing all the little (and big) uncles and aunts calling her “Ma”, began to call her that too and she loved it. My kids still call my mom “Ma” now, years later. Some of my siblings kids call her bubby tho because some of my siblings in law didn’t like the idea of “Ma”.
I think my mom should have chosen “Oma” which sounds similar enough to “Ma” that it doesn’t feel old and so that she wouldn’t have half the grandkids call her Bubby which she doesn’t like at all.
My advice is to Chose something u can tolerate now, before it gets chosen for u down the line and u may not like it. And congrats on becoming a grandparent!!

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:04 pm
wiki wrote:
The Ladino term for grandmother is "Nona," and I knew some people who had Nonas as a kid. It's pretty.

I like This

I’m Abuela but we are a Latin family eventhough my grandkids areNot 1 parent yes one no

My parents are Yeyo and Yeya because when my oldest was 1.5/2 that’s how she pronounced Abulo/Abuela and ir stuck even the great grandkids call them that
As a present one year we bought them monogrammed towels Yeyo Yeya

Syrian it’s Teta or Tita (Teeta)
I don’t like using the first because in Spanish it means breast

I also heard Meme amongst French speakers

amother
White

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:07 pm
I like "Baba." Fun sounding and easy to pronounce.

For a long time we called our grandmother "Tata" because my younger brother couldn't pronounce Savta and it came out "Tata". It was so cute that we all adopted it.

A good friend of mine used to call her grandmother "Ma dear" because that's how her mother used to address her on the phone, "How are you feeling, Ma dear?" etc.

In Israel some grandmothers are called "Savtoosh" or "Savta'leh".

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:49 pm
My grandmother was Gaga, a great grandmother was Bebe, and a few others were Grandma Firstname.” Another great grandmother was Nana. My kids call my mother Grandma and my MIL Nana.

Personally, when I’m a grandmother I want to be Nana or Bubby.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 8:00 pm
Definitely have to go anon for this:
My grandmother named Gloria, we called GloGlo. It was very sweet and unique.
My mother is Grandma to my son, and my aunt, her identical twin sister, is Granty! Like Aunty. She's a bonus grandparent.

rowo

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 9:38 pm
I say embrace being a Bobby! It doesn’t mean you’re old, it means you’ve reached a new beautiful stage of life ❤️
Just like becoming a ‘mommy’ felt weird at the time.

My husband thinks I’m a bit nuts but I’m so excited to become a grandmother. It’s such a special relationship. My oldest is still a young teen so I have a while to go Smile

In my wider family we have Bobby, Bubba, Bobe, Oma, Nana, Nanny and Deedee. Funnily enough though pretty much all the men are just Zaida (often with their name added to differentiate, Zaida Chaim etc)
Over time the grandmothers names have also evolved and each is individual to them. Bubba Chana for example is called that by many people, not just her grandchildren.

In any case, Mazal Tov!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names