Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dribbling urine - 7 year old

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 9:30 am
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has experienced this with the daughter and what specifically the urologist does for it. Her pediatrician had nothing to add but just see urology. My daughter throughout the day dribbles urine. She is very self-aware and fully urinates but she says whenever she laughs/sits down etc some dribbles out. It is almost like a pregnant woman. I would hate to bring her to urologist if it isn't a big deal. I don't believe she is constipated.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 10:37 am
It is not normal for a 7 yo to have this happen from pressure.

Def need check out with peds urologist. An organ can be pressing on her bladder, might have an infection or a myriad of possibilities.

Most harmless and can prob be easily rectified but need a uro to check and it out and treat.

Best of luck.

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 11:05 am
You may want to consider consulting a pelvic floor PT. They can work with children too.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:45 pm
I'm confused. My 6 year old has this problem (she has three older siblings who never did), and two different pediatricians in our practice said it's totally normal and age-appropriate. They did test her urine for any infection first, and it came back clear. They said she'd outgrow it.

Has anyone else ever heard this? I'm not sure when it dribbles, so it could be that it's not when she laughs or something, and it's just randomly during the day. They did tell me to put her on a pee-ing schedule so that it's not from holding it in too long...

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:49 pm
amother [ Clear ] wrote:
I'm confused. My 6 year old has this problem (she has three older siblings who never did), and two different pediatricians in our practice said it's totally normal and age-appropriate. They did test her urine for any infection first, and it came back clear. They said she'd outgrow it.

Has anyone else ever heard this? I'm not sure when it dribbles, so it could be that it's not when she laughs or something, and it's just randomly during the day. They did tell me to put her on a pee-ing schedule so that it's not from holding it in too long...

I hate when doctors say they will outgrow it-they don't.

check for constipation and take her to a urologist.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 10:36 pm
amother [ Clear ] wrote:

Typical dr speak for “I have no clue what’s causing it or how to treat it”. And a cue for mom that it’s time to turn into a medical detective.

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 10:43 pm
Definitely should see a pediatric urologist. But Don’t lose sleep over it, as another poster wrote, most likely it is not an issue that will need a major fix.

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 11:16 pm
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
I hate when doctors say they will outgrow it-they don't.

Well, I mean, sometimes they do. Are you saying that kids never just outgrow anything? There’s plenty of weird stuff that goes on with kids that typically they just outgrow.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 4:50 am
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
Well, I mean, sometimes they do. Are you saying that kids never just outgrow anything? There’s plenty of weird stuff that goes on with kids that typically they just outgrow.

This.
My children outgrew quiet a few things ppl on here are busy need treatment asap....

And for, I was like this. It was super embarrassing as I had a bad relationship with my mother and I felt gross with none to talk to about it properly. My mother enjoyed taking me to doctors to find what's "wrong" with me. Lucky her I got that issue so she legit had an excuse. Top urologist just told her to stop stressing I'll outgrow it as I grow older. Which I did eventually.
As an adult and even after having multiple children, it never came back bh.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 12:28 pm
Thank you so much for responding. I'm wondering if there are other moms whose daughters had this issue and they outgrew it? Or others that found out that it was another problem? My gut reaction is to just wait it out -- one of the pediatricians told me that her two daughters had this and outgrew it.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 12:46 pm
It's a good idea to get an abdominal ultrasound, just to rule things out.

Can she wear panty liners so she won't be embarrassed by wetness and smell? Other kids can smell urine a mile away, and they may not be very nice about it. I remember a girl in second grade who always smelled, and the kids were merciless. Sad

geemum

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 4:05 pm
If it's something that started after she was completely dry, it could be chronic constipation / impacted stool, which affects senses in the area and blocks complete faecal and urinary output too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics