Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Taxi driver singing Jewish song
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 6:15 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Am I the only one that was seriously disturbed by this? A non-Yehudi singing such beautiful heilige words with such geshmack? I did NOT find it funny or cute. Just - yuck. Stick to your own music.

I'm seriously disturbed that you find non Jews yuck.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 6:18 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:

Did she say that?

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 6:29 pm
Amother coral, at the end of days the non Jews will be davening to Hashem along with us.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 7:11 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:

Read my post? I said I found this video - of a non-Yid singing a Jewish song - yuck. Not the people themselves. Nor did I say anything about his color, which I think was being referenced by someone else posting a video of Nissim Black singing, in response to my post? He is a Yid so an entirely different issue.
Ok everyone calm down. I'll go away. I forgot the #1 rule on imamother - go along with main opinion or get majorly harassed.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 7:45 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Read my post? I said I found this video - of a non-Yid singing a Jewish song - yuck. Not the people themselves. Nor did I say anything about his color, which I think was being referenced by someone else posting a video of Nissim Black singing, in response to my post? He is a Yid so an entirely different issue.
Ok everyone calm down. I'll go away. I forgot the #1 rule on imamother - go along with main opinion or get majorly harassed.

Yup I agree with you.
And every thread is different so it’s hard to predict which audience you will have.

You can get harassed for going on birth control.
Then later you see someone else in literally the same situation being harassed for not taking birth control.
It’s hilarious actually.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 7:51 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Am I the only one that was seriously disturbed by this? A non-Yehudi singing such beautiful heilige words with such geshmack? I did NOT find it funny or cute. Just - yuck. Stick to your own music.

It’s always that one poster who turns a very nice thread downhill Can't Believe It

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 8:11 pm
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
It’s always that one poster who turns a very nice thread downhill Can't Believe It

Nope I still think the clip is cute but I respect her opinion.
We don't need to harass her for having and expressing an opinion.
I found it funny.
She cringed.
I can understand that, eventhough I still think it's cute.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 8:14 pm
To me the clip reminded that when Moshiach comes Hashem will be One, to all the nations.
Keser yitnu , not just the jews, but everyone.
So I found it heartwarming.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 8:18 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
To me the clip reminded that when Moshiach comes Hashem will be One, to all the nations.
Keser yitnu , not just the jews, but everyone.
So I found it heartwarming.

Me too. I've been watching it over and over.
And apparently, the fact that it went viral - and all the comments it received- shows that many other people found this endearing.

I also think I want to buy this CD.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 8:28 pm
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:

Those that attack and bash her for merely stating her opinion are the one's that turn a nice thread downhill.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 8:59 pm
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:
Those that attack and bash her for merely stating her opinion are the one's that turn a nice thread downhill.

Exactly. She is entitled to state her opinion about the clip.

Ftr, while I thought it was cute, there something a bit cringeworthy about a non-Jew saying the holy words of kedusha.

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 10:12 pm
Years ago, one of the workers in my brothers yeshiva used to sing “ei yidala, ei yidala, shtark zich, shtark zich yidala”....

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 10:15 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

What is the issue with Nissim Black?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 10:27 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
What is the issue with Nissim Black?

Nothing. Coral was simply saying that if anyone thought her unease with this singer had to do with his being black, color had nothing to do with it.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:54 am
Anybody have links? I’m so curious lol

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 2:45 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
But why yuck? What about him singing this song is yuck?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 8:07 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Anybody have links? I’m so curious lol

Both videos were posted on page one

amother
Amaranthus

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 8:28 am
https://youtube.com/shorts/CrT.....share

I found this funny

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 9:20 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
But why yuck? What about him singing this song is yuck?

There is a sensitivity* I'm sensing that holy words shouldn't be sung by gentiles, certainly not as some sort of arbitrary stringing together of syllables. And when the holy words are words about our unique connection to Hashem as the Jewish people, I can especially respect this sensitivity. Personally, this was not my reaction. If anything, yeah, maybe it's a glimpse of the future of yaida kol p'ul etc. as was mentioned. And as I said, I'm glad driving a bus of our kids everyday is an uplifting experience for the driver, because if it wasn't, he wouldn't enjoy the music as much.

*which is a useful but dangerous word to use because it implies heightened awareness that the rest of us would only have if we're holy enough. But people who have "sensitivities" are not axiomatically condescending and holier than thou.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 9:50 am
Ok I did come back. Bravely trying to explain my position here.
Firstly, thank you to all those kind ladies who defended my right to have a different opinion, especially Pink Fridge.
I would like to apologize for using the word "yuck". It is juvenile and uncalled for.

I want to specify that I have zero problem with this gentleman. He seems kind and friendly and cheerful, and clearly has an enormous amount of patience since he not only drives a school bus of boys (!) but enjoys it. The boys have a friendly relationship with him, which is great. He likes Jews. He learned the words to a song he hears many times a day and can sing it perfectly. All fine.

What I object to is the glorification of this. Saying that it's funny. I don't think it is. At all.
Especially davka this song! The heilige Kedusha that melachim sing!

Many ladies on here clearly exist on a higher plane than me, and see Yemai Mashiach in this clip. When that wonderful day will come b"eh, do you really truly think it will look like this? Do you really think the men who noticed him and filmed him had that in mind? Or the many many people who shared this around with the tagline "hysterical!!!!"?

For the record, I also am appalled by Jewish people dressing in blackface or minstrel clothing, singing and talking like they imagine they would.

(As for the reference to Nissim Black, I have no clue. Someone sent it in as a response to what I wrote. You can ask her to clarify if you like.)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics