Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Relative making a wedding and Covid vaccine required
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:27 am
I think people are so illogical about this. I was in a shul where vaccination is required. Someone came in without a vaccine and sat down far away from anyone else. Big shul with lots of space. Someone complained, and I had to laugh because the person who complained was sitting next to 2 other people (all the other people in shul were sitting socially distanced from each other).

ora_43

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well not one person cared about the vaccine. No one checked most were not wearing a mask. And the grandmother who they were so concerned about wasnt social distancing ok had a mask on but was in the middle of everyone.
I cant believe that everyone was vaxxed but even so they were not wearing a mask and it is known that the vaccine is not 100% so there could of been people there who had covid and spread it because very few were wearing masks.

Not trying to argue which policies do/don't make sense, but I don't see any of this as meaning the vaccines-only rule wasn't serious or well-intentioned.

I'm guessing they didn't check because they trusted people not to lie.

Requiring vaccines doesn't mean you have to require masks, or distancing. I'd even say the opposite, vaccine requirements are often used as a substitute for mask/distancing rules. Eg many restaurants require immunity instead of masks. I'm not saying that's the best way to do it - but this isn't an idea they made up, it's a fairly common approach. So again, doing the best they could with the knowledge they had.

skyeblue

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 8:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think what is bothering me is that my relatives are making the simcha also and the other side is not willing to compromise at all.
Have people test 24 hours before or have their elderly grandparents come and then leave so the non vaxxers could come wish Mazel tov, something to show they care about the other side.
My kids won't be able to go (1st cousins) because they are too young to get vaxxed plus they have antibodies.
Nieces and nephews won't be there for same reason.
Funny thing is that my relatives will be staying in my house when they come so I really don't see any different if I go there and stand outside.

Yeah, that's really nutty. You'll be hosting the relatives, but won't be able to go to the simcha.

The mechutanim have clearly been overly influenced by mainstream media and are in fear mode. Your relatives are in a difficult situation. They don't want to argue with the mechutanim and jeopardize their child's marriage. Everyone is doing the best they can.

I guess it's an opportunity for you to be a giver. Release any choice that's not within your control (the mechutanim's choices, your relatives' choices, etc.) and focus on doing good, doing Hashem's will with what you can control: being a loving, accepting, forgiving, understanding, gracious hostess; adding joy and positivity to the simcha. That's how I see it.

skyeblue

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 8:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So my nephew had his wedding. I didnt go because I am not vaxxed.
My son got the shot in order to go to the wedding even though he wasnt planning on it.
My husband kept telling me to get it because no family was coming because they live far away and it would be a nice thing for me to do.

Well not one person cared about the vaccine. No one checked most were not wearing a mask. And the grandmother who they were so concerned about wasnt social distancing ok had a mask on but was in the middle of everyone.
I cant believe that everyone was vaxxed but even so they were not wearing a mask and it is known that the vaccine is not 100% so there could of been people there who had covid and spread it because very few were wearing masks.

That's so disappointing Sad

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 8:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am just really looking to see what everyone’s thoughts are. I know I am probably opening a whole can of worms but I am just curious.
I live in a place where most people are not so concerned about Covid. We don’t wear masks and we go to simchas.
My close relative lives in an area where Covid rules are very strict and they listen and follow what ever they are told to do.
They are planning to make a wedding for their son close by to me (they live a plane ride away).
They just informed me that the other side insists that everyone be double vaxxed and wear a mask and will need to show their vaxxed card in order to get in.
They have elderly grandparents who will be there. Who are vaxxed and will be wearing a mask.
So now my whole family won’t be able to go.
We had Covid and antibodies and our doctor said we don’t need to get vaxxed.
One of my kids got one shot but that is not good enough for them.
So my question is is the other side being unreasonable?
I told them I will stay out in the hall not go in and I will wear a mask. But that is not good enough.

Unreasonable in my opinion but it's not my simcha. It's also not yours. I would never get vaxed for any other reason than for my health benefit -- not to travel and not to attend a simcha. So if I didn't want/need the vax, I'd tell my relatives sad to not attend, but oh well.

amother
DarkRed

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 8:49 am
Good luck Op.

Skyblue Ive noticed some of your posts and they are all well thought out and nuanced. Welcome!

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 8:59 am
ladYdI wrote:
So easy to buy a vaccination card!
You think all the people carrying cards for work Broadway or flying are all legitimate cards?!
Think again!

I'm not sure if you are the person who had advocated this on other threads, but please stop advocating illegal activity. It is a federal crime to make or use “any materially false writing in any matter involving a healthcare benefit program.” It may also be considered counterfeiting a government document.

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 9:02 am
ladYdI wrote:
So easy to buy a vaccination card!
You think all the people carrying cards for work Broadway or flying are all legitimate cards?!
Think again!

I'm anti-vax but I could never do this.
I'd be scared of getting caught.
Plus, it's one thing to decide you're going to deceive the government because the mandate is immoral. But to lie to my family and friends to get into simchas and such? I couldn't feel good about that.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 9:03 am
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
I think people are so illogical about this. I was in a shul where vaccination is required. Someone came in without a vaccine and sat down far away from anyone else. Big shul with lots of space. Someone complained, and I had to laugh because the person who complained was sitting next to 2 other people (all the other people in shul were sitting socially distanced from each other).

You had to laugh that someone was willing to openly flout the rules?

What other rules do they flout?

skyeblue

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 9:07 am
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
Good luck Op.

Skyblue Ive noticed some of your posts and they are all well thought out and nuanced. Welcome!

Thank you! Smile Glad to be here!
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics