Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Vegan subsitutes like cheese, sour cream and mayo

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 11:48 am
Are these things actually healthier than the dairy versions?
I would like to switch to a plant based diet. I don't think dairy is good for my cholesterol levels. But it seems like these things are made with a lot of artificial ingredients like coconut oil. etc.
Do people use this when they are allergic to dairy or when they go vegan due to cruelty to animal reasons only?
What would be best option if trying to improve cholesterol and overall health ( some say dairy has hormones)? Seems like the vegan options may not be healthier though.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 11:51 am
Processed food is processed food.
It might be healthier than other processed foods with 47 ingredients, half chemicals. But it's not whole food.
If you are willing to invest the time you can make vegan sour cream, mayo, etc. at home with very few ingredients and a good quality blender. They are largely nut based and still should be used sparingly if weight is an issue.

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 11:52 am
I think the vegan options are not meant for health more like you said more for allergies or someone who is vegan for ideology reasons.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 11:53 am
Natural and whole food vegan options.
Vegetables and legumes.

Processed substitutions are great for “ethical”, allergies, and pareve reasons.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:21 pm
Read dr gregor (how not to die and how not to diet cookbook) and dr furman books. A lot of delicious healthy , vegan recipes

amother
Geranium

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 6:08 pm
Please do your research
New research is saying that high bad cholesterol comes from a high sugar diet
If you switch to a plant based diet and eat bananas and dates all day this will not help

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 11:49 am
Tofutti and Soy Delicious have good products. Not perfect replacements on their own, but good in recipes.

Gaia brand vegan cheese is surprisingly not horrible. The orange cheese tastes like a blend of cheddar and American cheese, and it melts very nicely. I had a hamburger with "cheese" on it the other day, and it was yummy. It also works well in grilled "cheese" sandwiches.

The white cheese is drier, and tastes like a cross between mozzarella and mild parmesan. I'll probably crumble it over a bolognaise pasta. Neither of them tasted like artificially flavored wax, so it's a huge improvement over earlier attempts at vegan cheese.

I've found that parve substitutes are a bit more expensive than the real thing, across the board. Keep that in mind if you are doing your food budget.

Any type of "mock food" can have it's place as long as it's used in small amounts, and only on occasion. I don't think anyone should be living on soy burgers and tofu hot dogs.

Teomima

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 4:49 pm
Switching to a plant based diet for health reasons works if you eat the plants. Any food alternatives, such as fake dairy or meats, are processed foods, often highly so.

If you take the time to make your own alternatives, from scratch, that can be balanced and healthy (for example I make a nice vegan cheese sauce from soaked cashews, garlic, salt and nutritional yeast. Plant based and healthy). But for many of these items there's nothing wrong with the original foods (assuming you're not avoiding them for ethical reasons). The fats from things like cheese and sour cream are essentially good fats (and it's healthier for you to eat the regular, full fat version, verses the more processed low fat or fat free versions).

I don't know how plant based diets became a health fad. I find it really irritating how food companies have jumped on the trend and market so many new products as "plant based" and trick people into thinking veganism=healthy.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 7:54 pm
Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking