Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can someone please explain to me... Re: SNAP

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 9:13 pm
I have been getting SNAP benefits for a year. Each month, my account has been loaded on the 6th of the month with X amount. Then, the last week of the month, I get ANOTHER deposit of a few hundred dollars. Every month. Strange.

Anyway, I re-certified in September. However, when October came, I got my first payment on the 6th and it was MORE than what they told me I'd be receiving each month. Then, I just got another payment at the end of the month.

Both payments this month said on it (when I looked online): "Previous month's payment."

So I'm confused.
Why did I get more in October?
What is this second payment of a few hundred dollars at the end of each month?
What does it mean "previous month's payment?" Does that mean that it's still part of last year's account and all the money I have on my account will expire tomorrow night? I recertified in September.

(I thought all the money would expire at the end of September, so I made sure to spend it up. But whatever I had left was still there in October. The letter I got this time around said my account is active through September 30, 2022.)

So I'm confused.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 9:14 pm
This is New York City.
Sorry, forgot to mention.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 10:05 pm
1) snap amounts went up in October

2) with snap, there is a maximum amount you can get per family size. Then there is the actual amount you receive based on income and other factors. Due to covid, they are giving the maximum amount per family size regardless of income. Chances are, the first payment is the amount you would normally receive based on income and other factors. The second payment is the extra amount due to covid so that you are receiving the max per family size.

3) as far as I know, the money you receive is good for a year from when you receive the payment. You shouldn't need to empty your account unless it's been inactive/cancelled for close to a year.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 10:09 pm
So how long is this covid bonus meant to last?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 10:26 pm
I thought that ended this October, and instead they raised the maximum allotment per person.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 8:34 am
So this is the last month?

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 9:34 am
The covid extra is a state by state, month by month decision. I think ny is still giving.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 1:16 pm
the governor said end of the year, at least.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics