Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do ppl afford overnight camp?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 7:44 pm
The question says it all.
We are middle class living in tristate area. We get help with tuition, can't possibly afford full tuition despite both of us working very full time. By now our older kids don't have friends around all summer long. but looking into overnight camps, I am sick to think about spending that much for 4 weeks (told my kids they'd have to work for half summer, but I do feel bad asking them to work all summer as young teens when almost all their friends are living it up at overnight camp).

How does anyone do it?
We've pushed it off as long as I think was possible.

amother
Eggplant

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 7:48 pm
Find a cheaper one.
And scholarships.

hodeez

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 7:48 pm
I worked every summer from 14 on. They'll be fine.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 7:49 pm
Hugs. Last girl who went to camp went as a mother's helper. She was ok with it. I think that some camps work the girls really hard and they don't enjoy as much

amother
Alyssum

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 7:51 pm
I never understand this question. Everyone has different incomes, different amount of kids, different tuition, and different house expenses. Also people prioritize different things. I don't get my nails done or eat out or even buy coffee, instead I might use that extra cash to put away to pay for camp. There is no blanket answer.

amother
Poppy

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 7:59 pm
How much does the camp cost that you want to send to?
I sent my daughter to overnight camp for the first time this past summer. I originally thought it would be extremely expensive. At the end one month was $2000. They easily gave me a scholarship for $1650. I’m sure some people had an even bigger discount than we did.
My daughter told me that some friends worked in a day camp for the first half of the summer and contributed their earnings towards overnight camp for second half.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 8:17 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
How much does the camp cost that you want to send to?
I sent my daughter to overnight camp for the first time this past summer. I originally thought it would be extremely expensive. At the end one month was $2000. They easily gave me a scholarship for $1650. I’m sure some people had an even bigger discount than we did.
My daughter told me that some friends worked in a day camp for the first half of the summer and contributed their earnings towards overnight camp for second half.

You paid $350 for one month?

amother
Poppy

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 8:37 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
You paid $350 for one month?

No… I wrote that I paid $1650 for one month

amother
Black

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 9:10 pm
I was wondering the same thing. Pushed off sending my boys as long as possible, and looking into it for this summer. The boys camps on average were at least $2,600 for 4 weeks! I'm hoping there are generous scholarships...

Window

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 9:26 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
I never understand this question. Everyone has different incomes, different amount of kids, different tuition, and different house expenses. Also people prioritize different things. I don't get my nails done or eat out or even buy coffee, instead I might use that extra cash to put away to pay for camp. There is no blanket answer.

This. It’s about your priorities. You can’t wake up in January and start searching for the money And wondering how everyone else affords it. If you decide that it’s important for your family, then figure out how to cut costs throughout the year. Save up for it. You can get your kids involved too. “Your coat from last year still fits and looks great, would you rather I spend $100 on a coat or put it aside for camp?” Then they won’t be resentful that they’re missing out on mid winter trip to Florida, chol hamoed trips, and the latest gadgets.

amother
Cherry

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 9:34 pm
1400 isn't too bad. if we couldn't afford it we wouldn't have sent him

6000miles

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:17 am
Growing up I went to camp as a mother's helper. I'm still upset at my father for it. Was extremely degrading for me. I know my father couldn't afford it then, but idk... glad where I live it's not a thing, don't have to send my kids.

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 1:02 am
Oy. A number of years ago here on imamother, there was an epic monster thread about affording camp.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 2:41 am
There are scholarships. Please ask around and ask the camp they can guide you.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 3:06 am
DrMom wrote:
Oy. A number of years ago here on imamother, there was an epic monster thread about affording camp.
Came here to post the same Smile
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....55115

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 3:07 am
hodeez wrote:
I worked every summer from 14 on. They'll be fine.
Same. ANd I actually think its great when kids work during the summer. They then get the satisfaction of being able to spend their hard earned money Smile

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 4:28 am
Well in my case we hope to send one child for the first time this summer and I've been saving up for a couple years already, putting a hundred dollars here and there for camp. I also sometimes take on an extra job in the summer to put money away for it and hopefully will do the same this Summer.

As a child, my parents could only afford to send two of us at a time and also pushed it off enough that they only had to pay for camp for 2-3 summers before we would be the age to work in camp already. And even those few summers we did have to work the other half and contribute to camp expenses.
Some siblings chose not to go at all under these conditions and some did
By my younger siblings my parents were doing better financially and were able to send them more easily without all the conditions.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 8:34 am
Its a priority. To me its equal to tuition, to give them a good healthy place where they can shine, develop, and grow in ways that go way way beyond school.

So I send for one half only. I request scholarship aid. And I wait until kids are a bit older, which is the norm for my community. They go both halves once they are staff and don't pay. One child became a life-guard so he got paid more when he went...

Its just an absolute priority. I have no problems whatsoever requesting a tuition break and sending kids to overnight camp. To me, its one and the same. Every child is different. And for those who don't shine in school or don't excel in the social atmosphere at school, camp is a haven. Our schools can be very narrow boxes for some kids. This is not a judgement statement. Its just our reality. I have never regretted overnight camp. I have watched my children literally blossom. Its a priority.

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 10:01 am
I didn't send my oldest to camp until she was in Hs I couldn't afford 2.5k. Bh I found a camp in Midwest for about 1,400. (Its not around anymore)

I send my boys to camp for a full summer. Even with scholarship it's alot of money. We pay the camp fees from May to December. I also work full time now, so we can somehow manage it. Its not easy.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 10:05 am
I paid tuition over 10 mos so I could devote more money to it in the summer. We didn't go on vacation or do anything extra when the kids went away.

Kids aren't that age forever. It was worth it to scrimp and pinch for a few summers for them of fun.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics