Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Son joined US military
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 11:27 am
This is the post I wish I had when he first started with his recruiter etc. Speak to aleph institute. They are very helpful and informative. Bh he is still frum. Has his teffilin etc. They worked out kosher and shabbos. I did hear that it's easier to be frum in bootcamp than further on in the career. I know this. If we didn't encourage and help his dream I don't know where he would be later on. People go otd for all different reasons. Frum then drop everything later on in life. I am so proud of him. No it's not my dream for him at all. But I see what he means by if not this than a cop or firefighter. Working with him had him want to go to yeshiva until he got his ship out date. Bh his family is very supportive.Thanks for listening.

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 11:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is the post I wish I had when he first started with his recruiter etc. Speak to aleph institute. They are very helpful and informative. Bh he is still frum. Has his teffilin etc. They worked out kosher and shabbos. I did hear that it's easier to be frum in bootcamp than further on in the career. I know this. If we didn't encourage and help his dream I don't know where he would be later on. People go otd for all different reasons. Frum then drop everything later on in life. I am so proud of him. No it's not my dream for him at all. But I see what he means by if not this than a cop or firefighter. Working with him had him want to go to yeshiva until he got his ship out date. Bh his family is very supportive.Thanks for listening.

Bh! The army is a good place for a kid who needs structure. He'll be okay IYH. You sound like an amazing amazing supportive mom!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 1:41 pm
if you post his jewish name we can daven for him. I'm from an army family and keep our boys and girls in the military in mind all the time!!!

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 1:48 pm
My father has a close friend whose son was in the military and fought in Afghanistan. He remained frum throughout.(Was a regular boy from Toras Emed who always wanted to be in military) After a few years he became a chaplain. Currently he lives in Baltimore with his family.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 1:50 pm
I always wonder if my son wanted to join the army if it would be better to encourage him to join the idf instead. Where is it more likely to stay frum.

octopus

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 3:55 pm
This must be so hard for you, op. You must be so worried about everything (safety, spirituality)! I will keep your son in mind in my tefillos.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 4:04 pm
amother [ Peachpuff ] wrote:
I always wonder if my son wanted to join the army if it would be better to encourage him to join the idf instead. Where is it more likely to stay frum.

I have a close relative who joined the idf as a lone soldier and it really did help him work out his issues. He's not frum today though but is a solid person.

bobeli

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 4:24 pm
I’m not so sure the idf will be better, depending on many factors

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 4:25 pm
amother [ Peachpuff ] wrote:

Not neessarily.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 4:51 pm
bobeli wrote:
I’m not so sure the idf will be better, depending on many factors

That was my question

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 5:00 pm
His name is yishai Yisrael Ben zissa gittel blima.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 5:07 pm
Probably IDF if he gets into a dati group.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 6:55 pm
Update. Bh he is doing well almost halfway there. He got chanukah candles to light. He passed something I was nervous that he might have a hard time with. He has some more things up ahead please keep davening thanks!

gr82no

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 7:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update. Bh he is doing well almost halfway there. He got chanukah candles to light. He passed something I was nervous that he might have a hard time with. He has some more things up ahead please keep davening thanks!

Bh thanks for sharing the good news!

IsraeliSoul

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 7:08 pm
Just wanted to say your son is a lucky boy

mom!

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 7:27 pm
You sound like a wonderful, caring and devoted mother! Your son is lucky to have you!

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 7:49 pm
I'm also from a US military family - grandfather, father, uncles, cousins. Thank your son for his service!

CPenzias

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 8:08 pm
Tell him thank you for your service please. My bil was in the military but not frum. Didn't want to be frum. Military had nothing to do with it. (He even married a wonderful woman who's not Jewish so my nephews are technically not Jewish) it makes me sad but it is what it is

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 8:19 pm
I grew up with my father in the military. While it was difficult my father was frum. It is definitely doable. That's great that you are supporting your son.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 9:04 pm
davening for him
thank you for posting this name
wishing you much nachas from all your children
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children