Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Kitty Food

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 9:39 am
what do I feed kitties for pesach?!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 9:48 am
meow. our cat friend ate canned tuna, and turkey if there was any.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 9:52 am
these cats are finicky - one may eat but the other won't - just scoops up the dry food - learned how to open a big rubbermaid container and sits inside munching away ....

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 10:00 am
greenfire wrote:
what do I feed kitties for pesach?!

I think that Star K has a list of what's ok for Pesach. We bought food for my dog a month before Pesach and started mixing it with his regular food so he'd get used to it by the time Pesach arrived.

I know that my friend orders some type of catfood online, I'll ask her what it is.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 10:01 am
thanks defy

R&RMom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 10:18 am
I don't know if it changes from year to year but we used to give our cat science diet dry food...that was certified kosher for Pesach. Again, please double check to be sure and also. it might be limited to certain varieties.
Good Luck.

Last edited by R&RMom on Wed, Mar 07 2007, 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 10:18 am
Yeah, I think we use Science Diet for our dog also.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 10:20 am
the cat I used to know also ate that tuna for shabbos so they knew he liked it.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 10:22 am
I'm assuming that it's not healthy for a cat to eat tuna fish for a week straight.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 10:26 am
okay looked it up on line they actually carry in Petsmart - how do we know which are good for pesach and how does it differ from reg cat food - other than way cheaper

ssbarnes

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 10:40 am
Our dog is allergic to wheat and corn (as well as other things), so we keep her on chometz-free food all year.

The turtles get lettuce & apples.

The fish live on bloodworms for Pesach.

The cat is a new addition. Not quite sure what he will eat. Here is the cRc pet info:
http://www.kashrut.com/Passove.....S.pdf

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 10:54 am
thanks for website - totally kool

shanie5

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 11:36 am
I thought this was posted about in previous year, and wanted to post a link, but I cant find it. so im not gonna say "we had a thread about this already", but if somebody does find it, please let me know how they did.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 11:37 am
Right, Defy.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 8:45 am
that time of year again ... the kitties need some dry food and I buy it by the 18lb bag ... so does the list change from year to year ...

and we've determined *meow* they love tuna ... Mr. Green Drunken Smile

tovasmom

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 9:04 am
For the wet food, we are stuck with the ground food (Rabbi Blumenkrantz always listed the Fancy Feast) but you basically must look in the ingredients for wheat or gluten. There is no prohibition against getting benefit from kitniyos or owning it on pesach so corn would not be a problem. On the dry, we got the amway catfood for years which had no wheat or gluten, but they reformulated last year. So I am looking for a new dry brand for our kitty. Which science diet dry, or are all OK? Our kitty refuses to eat any kind of table food.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 9:19 am
I couldn't find any 2008 list ... but the kitties are moody too with wet food or real food - even liver What ... last year the science diet dry seemed okay ... and I gave them cans of real tuna Drunken Smile

catonmylap

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 9:25 am
usually science diet is okay because it's rice based (just kitniot), check the ingredients.

(It's wonderful here in Israel, they put it out in the pet stores, all labelled!)

tovasmom

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 9:35 am
OK, I just got the 2008 edition of "the Laws of Pesach, A Digest (Rabbi Blumenkrantz, ZTZ"L, which was edited this year by his sons) which lists the following dry cat food:

Hills Science Diet: Advanced protection feline adult, advanced protection feline senior, feline adult checken and rice recipe, feline adult hairball control formula, feline adult light, feline adult ocean fish recipe, feline adult oral care, feline indoor mature adult 7+ dry, original dry cat food, feline sensitive skin, diet kitten dry cat food.

I would still read the labels to look for chametz ingredients and meat and milk since I'm not sure how well this is updated and how often.

Zus

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 11:26 am
I can't ever find KLP dry cat food, and I gave up looking for it a few years ago. I give my cats canned tuna, but only on *water*. I made the mistake to give them tuna in oil once, and they threw it all up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics