Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Calling all creative decorators!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 12:11 pm
I'm starting my own business which will require me to have a computer/office area (no inventory, just random office supplies).

I'm so excited to get out of the cubicle and into my own space and need your help decorating!

There is a room off the family room that we never got around to decorating. It's old and gloomy and no one really goes in there. I thought it would be a perfect place for an office.

I was thinking to add in windows (there are none!) and take down the old wooden panels and take out the horrible carpet.

My questions:
1. Wallpaper vs paint?
2. What should I do for the floor? I need partical but super chil, fresh and inviting so I'm happy to be there
3. Is it actually a really nice big room. would it be weird to be beds and use it as a guest room too? (im not concerned about having my office stuff in the guest room). would that look off? if you think it could work, then how? how do I divide the room to fit a desk and beds, while looking unbelievably appealing?
4. There is actually a bathroom next to the family room that shares a wall with this empty room. I would think about creating a door from the empty room so guests can use it privately (no it's not the main bathroom on the main floor so it in theory can be private)

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 1:37 pm
I would paint. Use a big area rug if you have nice floors, carpet if you don't.

It's totally normal to have an office double up as guest space. It will be away from the other bedrooms, so it will be private, which is really nice. Do make sure that you have enough space to put away all of your work papers at the end of the day.

I would get a daybed that opens into two twin beds.

Giving guests their own bathroom is wonderful.

Oldest

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 2:57 pm
The Family First actually had a feature on exactly this

https://mishpacha.com/small-space-conundrums/

Hopefully this helps!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:41 pm
thanks!

any other suggestions?

just want an awesome vibe, for both me and my guests. not sure how to create that

tigerwife

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks!

any other suggestions?

just want an awesome vibe, for both me and my guests. not sure how to create that

Will you have clients coming into your office? If yes, you can still use it as a guest room but niftily disguise the dst bed under cool decorative pillows and a throw.

Add a fresh plant in the corner. My dream is a bonsai tree.

Huge gallery wall with fun art you wouldn’t necessarily put in your living room and motivational quotes.

Your furniture itself can be a statement. I’ve seen beautiful desks in home goods. If it’s a guest room, make sure you have a closet you can lock your important items into.

Your office supplies can be kept in beautiful trays and containers.

If you have the funds, definitely add the window and door to the bathroom.

I prefer wood floors with a statement rug to carpets.

Make sure you try your desk chair before purchasing for maximum comfort!

Good luck and have fun!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 10:08 pm
love love these suggestions. im getting so excited. keep em coming!!

I'm trying to figure out the balance between office and guest room. its a new business, so obviously things may change, but im not planning on meeting with clients often in person. but I still want the office part to be awesome, just for me.

I love having a ton of throw pillows on the day bed, but then what happens when I need to use that bed? and pull out the bottom for a guest? where do all the pillows go? will the room still look cool?

anyone feeling a color scheme?!

momallhours

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 10:39 pm
Sounds exciting! Hatzlacha! Look on pinterest for a ton of ideas.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 11:00 pm
I would definitely paint, and put in vinyl wood look floors (my favorite color for this is white oak). For an office, I'd do a light feel with wood accents (desk, rattan armchairs for guests) and pops of color-like blue and terracotta.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 11:14 pm
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Li.....43440
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tr.....52118

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics