Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Being from a "weird place"
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

mindyme

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 10:38 pm
mizle10 wrote:
I'm sorry for nitpicking, it just came out funny that someone came trying to prove a point that they know geography and says that Canada is in the USA.

I had a "in town" shabbos guest once ask me after the seuda if they walk to Toronto can they be back in Montreal in time for shalosh seudos. LOL LOL

Oh yes this all the time from in towners, 30 years ago in camp and sem and still now with my daughters' friends.
For the record, Toronto and Montreal are 5 hours apart. By car.
And no, we dont know your friend Chani in Montreal (or Toronto). Yes even if she has brown hair and she's really sweet.
Nor do we live in igloos, have polar bears in our backyards, or ski to school. In July.
But it sure is fun telling people that! LOL

lkwdgirl

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 11:18 pm
applesbananas wrote:
I have a family member married to a Baltimorean and people were SHOOK at the Shidduch.
Like u listening to a name from there?!?
By the Sheva brachos I struck up conversation with a family member from the other side and they said Baltimore girls are known to have a hard time

My son married a truly amazing special girl from Baltimore. People should stop generalizing andnhavr an open mind

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 3:02 am
#BestBubby wrote:
I believe the Torah says it is preferable to marry someone from the same Shevet and same City.

Marriage is challenging enough, why add cultural differences into the mix?

Of course, if one is older, then one must be more open-minded.
Same city? Where does it say that?
Also, we dont live among our shevet anymore, so this really is just not always plausible.
And there are so many reasons why someone might marry someone from a different place or different culture.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 3:05 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Same city? Where does it say that?
Also, we dont live among our shevet anymore, so this really is just not always plausible.
And there are so many reasons why someone might marry someone from a different place or different culture.

In the original post, the criteria used to describe a "weird" (and hence, undesirable) location is not geographical proximity, but whether or not there is a large established frum community there (at least as known to the speaker).

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 3:11 am
DrMom wrote:
In the original post, the criteria used to describe a "weird" (and hence, undesirable) location is not geographical proximity, but whether or not there is a large established frum community there (at least as known to the speaker).
The poster I was replying to said that it said same shevet and same city in the torah. I have always heard about same shevet, but never same city, so I wanted to know where she found that.

thesoundofmusic

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 5:35 am
I find this whole thread so funny.
everyone got off on all these funny tangents. and married stuff.....
lets go bak to the begining.....
ok so here I am:)
I am from BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA!!!!!
very yeshivish- and I love to see peoples eyebrows shoot up when I say berkeley-
so..... any other landsman from berkeley here? or the bay area?????
oakland, marin, peteuma, san jose, santa cruz, albany......

chanchy123

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 5:51 am
#BestBubby wrote:
I believe the Torah says it is preferable to marry someone from the same Shevet and same City.

Marriage is challenging enough, why add cultural differences into the mix?

Of course, if one is older, then one must be more open-minded.

There is a concept of marrying daughters off within the shevet, we learn it from Bnot Tzlofhad - but the reason for this is to keep property/nachala within the shevet. This does not apply in our times.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 10:53 am
chanchy123 wrote:
There is a concept of marrying daughters off within the shevet, we learn it from Bnot Tzlofhad - but the reason for this is to keep property/nachala within the shevet. This does not apply in our times.

I should hope not, given that we don’t know our shvatim except for Levi.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 11:02 am
There's also a concept of marrying into one's own family, as learned from Avraham Avinu. But today's Gedolim (at least in the yeshivish world I'm familiar with) do NOT encourage this, due to genetic concerns.

I think familiarity has replaced this somewhat though, and people like to do Shidduchim within their geographic area when possible.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics