Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Nontoxic Muffin Pans

N'sMom

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 1:40 pm
I am looking to replace my aluminum muffin pans with ones that are nontoxic. Does anyone have a recommendation?

N'sMom

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 6:18 pm
Bump.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 6:37 pm
Do you use cup cake liners? If so the aluminum might not be so bad. But stainless is what I buy for all my bakeware. I have a couple silicon pieces but don't love the way those bake.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 6:38 pm
What do you consider non-toxic? I like silicone for some instances but it can leach at high temperatures so it’s not the best for baking. Stainless steel is great if you can find a high quality product, but a lot of it is made with questionable source material. What about cast iron? It bakes a little differently but you can find nice items. If you clarified what you’re looking for, maybe we could help you find a good product. Also, with muffins, you can also just use liners of whatever quality you like so there’s no direct contact with your pan.

N'sMom

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 6:42 pm
I use my muffins pans most for challah rolls so cupcakes liners and silicone won't work. I have never seen cast iron muffin pans. Of they exist that's a thought. Brands names anyone? I would go for stainless steel but I don't know what brands are really safe.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 6:45 pm
N'sMom wrote:
I use my muffins pans most for challah rolls so cupcakes liners and silicone won't work. I have never seen cast iron muffin pans. Of they exist that's a thought. Brands names anyone? I would go for stainless steel but I don't know what brands are really safe.

If you’re using mostly for bread then cast iron will give you a beautiful crust (make sure you preheat it) and I think is your best bet. Lodge is reliable, made in America, and affordable:
https://www.lodgecastiron.com/.....D_BwE

N'sMom

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 7:29 pm
challahchallah wrote:
If you’re using mostly for bread then cast iron will give you a beautiful crust (make sure you preheat it) and I think is your best bet. Lodge is reliable, made in America, and affordable:

Noting your screen name. I clearly came to the right ima. Smile

The lodge one looks terrific and I like that the cups look a bit larger than normal.

Thank you!

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 7:40 pm
challahchallah wrote:

I took a look since I thought it might be something I'd like too. Surprised the price is so reasonable.

Question though. It's "seasoned" with vegetable oil. What does this mean in terms of kashrut?

challahchallah

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 8:18 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I took a look since I thought it might be something I'd like too. Surprised the price is so reasonable.

Question though. It's "seasoned" with vegetable oil. What does this mean in terms of kashrut?

You have to ask your own rabbi. We hold that it’s fine, but some people bake off the seasoning and re-season themselves.

Edit, here’s a link explaining why many hold that “the new pre-seasoned pan would not require any koshering, as the factory already heated the pan sufficiently”

https://www.cor.ca/view/873/ca......html

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 8:46 pm
challahchallah wrote:
You have to ask your own rabbi. We hold that it’s fine, but some people bake off the seasoning and re-season themselves.

Edit, here’s a link explaining why many hold that “the new pre-seasoned pan would not require any koshering, as the factory already heated the pan sufficiently”

https://www.cor.ca/view/873/ca......html

Ty!

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 8:59 pm
Just FYI, OP, there is absolutely no data that says aluminum pans are bad for you. Deodorant either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins