Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Obtaining medical records-who is responsible???

Alexandra1

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 11:02 am
I am switching doctors. I called my new doctor and the new office said that the former doctor needs a release to send to them and when I call the former doctor they say the new doctor needs to send the release form. I can't pick the records up. Which office is the one to send the release?

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 11:16 am
I did this two years ago. If I remember correctly, the new office gave me a form to be completed by the old office.

I hope one of them gets around to helping you.

laylaleah

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 3:35 pm
I've dealt with this. They all behave different. So just try to adapt to what they're instructing you to do.

If they don't want to release your record or are giving you problems involve a third party to help advocate for you.

Once I had to involve my husband getting medical records from a scam dentist that used to be my dentist (unfortunately) when I asked for my record they refused to give it to me probably because they realized I would realize they scammed me and the insurance company. Eventually they gave me one piece of paper with barely readable scribbles on it. I didn't have the koach to fight anymore, just getting the records drained me enough. (I had done tons of research online on the law of obtaining medical records in NYC) My husband didn't care. No-one cared and I actually ended up being blamed for being "difficult". If I had had money I would've sued them easily, but then I would've never gone to that *hitty place to begin with!

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 3:45 pm
You need to go to the new doctor, sign a form at by you are you authorize the old doctor to release the information to the new doctor. It needs to include the new doctor’s name and information (maybe or may not include address, phone, fax, NPI…. To identify that it is the correct new doctor)
This gets sent to the old doctor who keeps it on record - the fact that you, the patient said to send it-ie that he did not dispense medical information inappropriately and violate HIPPA. Then s/he will send your info to the new MD.

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 11:23 pm
I ran into this problem recently with changing pediaricians for my dd. Her old Dr. left the medical association he worked in/under/for and I could not find where he moved to. (I'm sure he wasn't allowed to inform his patients or take their records). When I finally found a new pediatrician, they wouldn't make a well appointment without her records, and they faxed me the papers to sign so they could get dds records. 6 weeks later we were still waiting for the old office to send the records. The new office told me they were having that problem with the overall medical association and that office in particular.

I finally asked if her shot records would be enough-as she is BH a healthy kid and there really is no history besides well checkups and a few ear infections when she was a toddler. BH dh had her shot records in his computer and I gave those in. Her appointment has finally been scheduled.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics