Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is This The Right Class For My Son Or Not?

shopaholic

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 12:07 pm
Hi,

This is my first post & I'm wondering if anyone out there has any advice for me.

My 5 year old started in Pre 1A today (a "Rebbi class" as he likes to call it). There are 4 Pre 1A's in his school & out of the 17 kids from last year's class, only he & 1 other boy, (a friend), were put in this class. I'm not sure how or if the rest of the class was split up among the other 3 classes. I've already spoken to the principal who isn't giving me the choice to change him. I'm just worried because a lot of the kids were in a day care last year & I've heard that thay come out of there on a lower level than boys who have been in yeshiva for 2 years. Any advice?

Mommy912

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 12:14 pm
Hi there, welcome!
Me too, today was my first P1A day. My son is also in a new class - he knows 1 boy. I don't know your son, but I saw from daycamp that boys this age make friends at the drop of a briefcase, our sons will probably come home today with new best friends.
The morahs are experienced and should be able to balance out any learning differences between Yeshiva and daycare, although it may take a bit of time. I have no idea if daycare means lower level - what do you mean by that? A child going into P1A in NY should know his Aleph-Bais - not reading but recognizing each letter, and generally knows parsha and Yom Tov information. If your son knows more then some other kids it will make him feel proud - an advantage in a new class.
Let me know how it goes!

elisecohen

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 12:21 pm
I wouldn't worry too much at this point. At this age, many children are very scattered in background and ability. Any experienced teacher and administration will manage to work with them all. It's not uncommon to have children come into one class with very different backgrounds (including some who are multi-lingual and some who have only one language--English, Hebrew, Yiddish, or others) which may not be the language in use in the school), but within a few months they will all be working at about the same level.

I would worry only if your child seems intellectually gifted and is truly unchallenged and bored in his setting. If it is just a matter of a bright child with a more enriched background than the class average, the teachers will be able to keep him challenged and engaged.

lucy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 8:42 pm
momof3 what is it that you mean by daycare? The truth is you should speak to the Rebbe of the class and ask him the level of the students where your son is holding. Also keep note it is very healthy for children to not be with the same kids constantly throughout the acedemic yrs. You mentioned that there are 3 classes so that will probably continue throught his cheder yrs, every yr he'll probably have his class switched and not always be with the same group exactly!

shopaholic

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 9:39 pm
Day care here is like a regular school except its from age 2 - 5. The 2 year old classes are coed but after that they are separate. It starts early in the day & ends early evening (to accomodate working parents). They learn, but not as structured as a regular school. Although they learn, it's a little "hefker" & a lot of playtime.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics