Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Yaakov curriculum and expectations

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:34 am
My husband and I are BTs and have elementary age girls in a BY style school. We are comfortable with our ability to assess their progress in general studies and we also have standardized testing for additional data points, but we don't know what expectations should be when it comes to the Jewish subjects. What is typical for this type of school to expect of girls at different grade levels for Chumash, davening, and other Jewish subjects? Assuming no special learning challenges.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 1:22 pm
I find that unfortunately, the expectations can greatly vary school to school. I think some common benchmarks are:
1st grade- reading
2nd grade- Chumash- basic translating- prefixes and suffixes
3rd grade- reading Rashi
4th grade- start learning Navi
5th grade- mi amar el mi/ al mi neemar

Davening- shmoneh esreh in 3rd grade.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 1:27 pm
Thanks amother Whitesmoke, that is exactly the kind of concrete answer I am looking for, even if it is high level.

Understanding that the schools vary widely, I would love to hear from different imas about what their daughters' schools do.

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 1:36 pm
Hebrew alphabets aleph thru yud-nursery
finish hebrew alphabets, parshah stories-kindergarten
review aleph bais, nekudos, introduction to Hebrew reading-pre 1A
full hebrew reading, davening in siddur-1st grade
chumash-2nd grade
shmoneh esrei, rashi letters- 3rd grade. (some kids may find this very tricky, as they already know Hebrew block letters, and Hebrew script letters, this is yet a third variation)

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 1:57 pm
We do as the above posters, but start Rashi reading in fourth grade.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 2:59 pm
Thanks. It sounds like what my daughters are doing is pretty normal then. The first graders begin their year with prefixes and suffixes and memorizing vocabulary, as well as kriah and kesiva. They get their Chumashim in the winter of first grade and that is when they begin translating pesukim. The second graders continue to review and build proficiency in vocabulary, prefixes/suffixes, and translation with Chumash. Rashi script is introduced in third grade.

keym

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 3:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. It sounds like what my daughters are doing is pretty normal then. The first graders begin their year with prefixes and suffixes and memorizing vocabulary, as well as kriah and kesiva. They get their Chumashim in the winter of first grade and that is when they begin translating pesukim. The second graders continue to review and build proficiency in vocabulary, prefixes/suffixes, and translation with Chumash. Rashi script is introduced in third grade.

The average curriculum will also have aleph Bais script in 1st grade.

In third grade, in addition to learning Rashi script, they'll start learning a few select easy Rashis.

4th grade is Navi. Usually emphasis on the story. Rashi is really worked on. What's the Rashi's question? What's his answer? Why?

Also, most schools will have Hebrew vocabulary and Yidios Klalios programs that are cumulative.

Ivris- they'll start off in 1st grade with basic Shulchan-table, kisei-chair. Working up to 8th grade, girls writing basic 2 paragraph compositions in basic Hebrew.

Yedios Klalios is basic knowledge of Yiddishkeit that gets taught and added. Example like names of the 24 books of Tanach and who wrote each, important Jewish dates and years, who wrote the Shulchan Aruch, who wrote the Mishna Brura.
So in 1st grade, they'll learn the Avos, imahos, shvatim and add on information each year.

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 3:44 pm
My 8th grade daughter needed a mikraos gedolos chumash this year.
They learn lots of meforshim, not only rashi.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:20 am
Very curious what a 7th and 8th grade Kodesh and Chol curriculum should like in an out of town Bais Yaakov? I have daughters in both grades - and truly want a clear pic of what curriculum should be.
So teachers and Moros----plse share!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics