Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What are the possible services in an IEP
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 9:27 am
If my child is in a private school is anyone from the school supposed to attend the meeting IEP. Is it bad if they don’t attend or good if they do?

octopus

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 9:47 am
They can participate over the phone. It's good if they participate.

Rose80

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 1:56 pm
Hi, Can anyone provide information how to get transportation services for special needs kid?
This child is going to school daily with Chesed Drivers

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:05 pm
Rose80 wrote:
Hi, Can anyone provide information how to get transportation services for special needs kid?

Did the child have an IEP meeting Yet?

Rose80

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:34 pm
Yes, the IEP is from years ago and Transportation is not included

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:45 pm
Rose80 wrote:
Yes, the IEP is from years ago and Transportation is not included

IEP needs to be reviewed yearly!
Please call Juby schapiro from tafkid to guide you on how to get it added.

Goldie613

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 2:57 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
extra time on tests, preferential seating, small group testing, and all that other back of the IEP stuff on the test page for those not on alternate assessments.

Placement in a self contained classroom
Placement in a self contained school

If we are on testing modifications, I would include a reader for exams. If a child has visual issues or trouble processing what they read, someone reading them the questions could make the difference between them doing well on the test vs failing it.

Separate location for testing is also an option if a child would do better not being in a crowd or needs absolute silence/no distractions in order to do better.

Goldie613

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:04 pm
Rose80 wrote:

That can get added at an IEP meeting. Make sure to ask for whatever transportation modifications you need at the same time (for instance, if your child can't be on the van for more than an hour because of medical reasons or if he needs a para on the van with him). It's usually easier and quicker to get everything added at once than to have another meeting later.

Make sure to bring any medical documentation you need to the meeting!

If you are really getting the run around you may need to get an advocate, but transportation is basic enough I would hope they wouldn't give you too much trouble about it.

Mothers

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:22 pm
Rose80 wrote:

Here is the info. from the DOE:

https://www.schools.nyc.gov/le.....ation

You will need to submit the following forms to the C.S.E. along with a request for Special Ed. Transportation:

-Authorization for Release of Medical Information Pursuant to HIPAA: This is completed and signed by you.
-Request for Medical Accommodations: This is completed and signed by your child’s doctor. It must explain the need for door-to-door busing and any other medical accommodations your child may need.

(You can get these forms at the above link.)

If you would like the IEP team to consider additional medical documentation, you should provide it as far in advance of the IEP meeting as possible. A physician from the Office of School Health (OSH) may review your request for specialized transportation accommodations, which can take some time. (The OSH physician may participate in your child's IEP meeting, but that is unlikely.)

If there is a Special Ed. Coordinator at child’s school, perhaps that individual can help you.

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:27 pm
Get medical documentation stating the need and reason for bussing .

Rose80

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:30 pm
Thanks for the info, Can a child request specialized transportation even if they don't have a IEP?

Mothers

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:34 pm
Rose80 wrote:
Thanks for the info, Can a child request specialized transportation even if they don't have a IEP?

Why would a child only need specialized transportation, but not an IEP?

In a public school, a child can receive accommodations through a 504 Plan, but I don’t think that’s available in a private school.

Rose80

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:47 pm
Mothers wrote:
Why would a child only need specialized transportation, but not an IEP?

In a public school, a child can receive accommodations through a 504 Plan, but I don’t think that’s available in a private school.

A child that is unable to walk but doesn't have a learning disability.

Mothers

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 3:56 pm
Rose80 wrote:
A child that is unable to walk but doesn't have a learning disability.

IEPs are not only given for learning disabilities. A child who is unable to walk can classified with Orthopedic Impairment and might get PT , Adaptive Physical Education, and/or a 1:1 para at school (in addition to specialized transportation).

If the child is truly independent (despite not being able to walk) and just needs specialized transportation, that would be handled by a 504 plan in a public school, but I don’t know how it would work in a private school. I’ve never heard of an IEP only for transportation. . .

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:52 pm
Mothers wrote:
IEPs are not only given for learning disabilities. A child who is unable to walk can classified with Orthopedic Impairment and might get PT , Adaptive Physical Education, and/or a 1:1 para at school (in addition to specialized transportation).

If the child is truly independent (despite not being able to walk) and just needs specialized transportation, that would be handled by a 504 plan in a public school, but I don’t know how it would work in a private school. I’ve never heard of an IEP only for transportation. . .

Right, because most likely the child needs the PT or adaptive accommodations at school.

But Rose80 you possibly get transportation with access a ride if that’s a thing in your neighborhood. I’m not so familiar with access a ride but had a neighbor that would come/go daily with them (not sure if she’s in a day hab or job bit I believe she’s past school age).

Do you need an ambullette for the transportation?

Does this child have Medicaid waiver- opwdd eligible? With self direct you can allocate funds toward transportation too. I don’t know how that works if it’s to/from school. But just giving you this idea if you ant to look into it & see if that’s something that can perhaps work.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Oct 28 2020, 4:58 pm
Rose I would add that above suggestions maybe for temporary.

If the child has no IEP then please contact cpse (3-5) or cse if child is older. If you need help getting the process rolling on getting evaluated I’ll be happy to help you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 5:54 pm
Anyone know if there are services related to allergies? Ive heard of a shadow, what do they do, how to you qualify or obtain allergy related services? Are there other services for allergies?

cnc

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 6:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone know if there are services related to allergies? Ive heard of a shadow, what do they do, how to you qualify or obtain allergy related services? Are there other services for allergies?

Health para

Mothers

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 7:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What kind of services are you looking for? What does your child need?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 8:02 pm
Mothers wrote:
What kind of services are you looking for? What does your child need?

My daughter’s current school is very good at keeping food separate, and asking before activities of my daughter is allergic to certain craft material. Not confident her new school or morah will do the same. Every morah is different. So I dont want rely on the morah
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics