Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Not happy with alterations

Flip Flops

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 7:40 pm
I gave something to a very expensive dressmaker to fix up. Paid her $170!!!! (No, the repairs were not that major.)
When I came to pick it up I noticed it wasn't the way I wanted it to be. I asked her to fix it. She said, "yes, my bad" and gave it to her worker to fix while I waited. When it was done, I looked at it again, and said it was still not correct. She said, your right and the worker fixed it again. When I got it back after that (they did the repairs on the spot) I realized she simply didn't understand what I was saying. It was still wrong. I mentioned this to her and she said, "oh that? Don't worry nobody will notice". I said ok and left (my kids were waiting and I was in a huge rush).
I came home now and I feel really upset. It is not the way I wanted it and after all that $, at least I should have it done correctly!!! I feel so stupid to go back to her though. I feel like I'm driving her nuts.
What's the normal thing to do in this situation?

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 8:36 pm
for $170 it sounds like you made a whole new dress!!! She should definitely fix it!

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 8:44 pm
Truthfully if I were you I would just make peace with the fact that I lost money and either keep it the way it is or have it done by someone else.
She tried fixing it 3 times, she obviously doesn't know how, I would be scared to have her totally ruin the dress!
(Maybe you can ask for some of your money back. Never heard of alterations costing that much!!!)

Flip Flops

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 7:43 pm
I called her and she said I could come back tonight and she'll look at it again. I just hope she doesn't charge me a penny more.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 7:48 pm
Can’t imagine what she did for you for that money. Did she do many things and most were good except for 1 part or none of it is good?

Flip Flops

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 7:51 pm
She did a few things but one main thing, which is what isn't right.
I only went to her because she is known to be the best out there and I wanted it to come out perfect. Jokes on me. You live and you learn Smile.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 7:53 pm
Flip Flops wrote:
She did a few things but one main thing, which is what isn't right.
I only went to her because she is known to be the best out there and I wanted it to come out perfect. Jokes on me. You live and you learn Smile.

It’s disappointing and these things can happen even with the best seamstresses. Some dresses can’t be fixed to perfection. I hope you either get it fully fixed or part of the money back.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 7:57 pm
Tell her you want her to do it herself and not hand over. Is English her second language ?

Flip Flops

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 10:16 pm
I went back to her. She said she could fix it but will have to charge me more.
I pointed out to her that the work doesn't look professional and she says nobody will notice.
Who cares if nobody will notice (which btw, others who were there agreed with me that it totally is noticeable)?
I paid her $170!!! It should be perfect!!!! She is known to be a top notch seamstress. I am so upset.
Now it won't be ready until 2 days before the wedding. Never mind that it has a stain and now I don't have time to send it to be cleaned. I cannot deal with this, I am so so upset.

amother
Mayflower

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 10:22 pm
Ha! You said the word wedding. People think they can charge outrageous prices anything wedding related. Alterations, hair, makeup...say the word and prices go up! Sad
It's really not fair to charge you more at this point. It wasn't ready on time, they had to redo the work 3 times...
Sorry OP sounds really frustrating!

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 10:24 pm
If it's a gown with a lot of material and it needed to be hemmed, I can't say that the price is justified, but that's $50 right there.

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 10:28 pm
Very uncomfortable situation. For the future - always ask prices before. Don’t leave until it’s perfect, when u come back they are tempted to charge like a new job..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette