Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
How do you make chanukah special?
Previous  1  2

tothepoint

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 1:52 pm
Last year there was a similar thread and someone wrote she wraps little gifts for the kids for all 8 days. I adopted this idea and my kids were beyond thrilled!

I only had 2 little kids so I didn’t break the bank. I bought most stuff at amazing savings. Chanukah tablecloth that can be colored, chanukah themed cookie cutters, 99€ paint crafts, stickers etc.

amother
Jean

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 11:25 am
Here's a great game that we play every night of Chanukah - good for adults and kids over 6. On the first night you do things in Torah/Jewish Life that are 1 (I.e Torah), on the second night 2, third night 3..it gets more challenging from the 5th night. You go from the youngest to oldest. Sometimes a younger kid might need a clue. If someone doesn't have something they just pass. After a couple of rounds when it's getting hard we say "open floor" and then anyone can shout out any ideas. If anyone wants I'll post a list.

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 11:54 am
I wrap little gifts and they can choose one every night.
We also have a ton of parties as we have many grandparents b"h!

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

SuperWify

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 12:12 pm
Every night we have a special dinner.

One night is presents from us and one night from grandparents A and the other from grandparents B.

On his day off from school, I make a Chanukah party for my kid and his friends. We decorate donuts and and play a game together.

Sunday we go on a family trip.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 5:04 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
Sounds fun! Where can I buy a giant inflatable donut?

https://www.target.com/p/straw.....aw.ds

amother
Springgreen

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 5:52 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
Here's a great game that we play every night of Chanukah - good for adults and kids over 6. On the first night you do things in Torah/Jewish Life that are 1 (I.e Torah), on the second night 2, third night 3..it gets more challenging from the 5th night. You go from the youngest to oldest. Sometimes a younger kid might need a clue. If someone doesn't have something they just pass. After a couple of rounds when it's getting hard we say "open floor" and then anyone can shout out any ideas. If anyone wants I'll post a list.

I would appreciate a list
Thanks!!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 6:12 pm
hodeez wrote:
We play this one chanuka cartoon that my husband watched when he was growing up. I think it's called Lights or something. First night kids get pekelach, and every night after lighting they get to pick one treat from it to eat. We make latkes and buy doughnuts.

Omg. I grew up watching Lights! I forgot all about it. Definitely gonna put on for my kids. Thanks for reminding me.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 6:40 pm
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
Omg. I grew up watching Lights! I forgot all about it. Definitely gonna put on for my kids. Thanks for reminding me.

Can yoU post a link or some descriptive words so I can find it online?

amother
Lightpink

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 6:49 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
Not to start a spinoff or anything, but how can I make Chanukah special for me? This is the first year that all of my children will be out of the house, and this year and no one can come home at all during Chanukah. My parents will be out of the country, My in-laws are still social distancing, and will not let anyone vaccinated or not vaccinated, in their house and it’s too cold for them to be outside.
Our siblings are all either far or busy with their own kids/grandchildren. I’m really not complaining. I’m loving this empty nest and BH I have wonderful SB.I’m just not sure how to make Hanukkah into something special. I can’t imagine frying donuts for me and DH (as then I will eat 15 of them and that is not going to help with weight loss for upcoming chassunahs.) and 2 almost 50 year olds playing dreidel for chocolate coins sounds silly.

Search online for date night activities. Do a painting together. Go out to eat. Visit an interesting location. Switch off cooking meals/ setting the table elegant. Buy yourself a new book. Allow yourself to do something you usually don't do.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 6:54 pm
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
Can yoU post a link or some descriptive words so I can find it online?

Search for lights Nemoy (he narrated it)

amother
Kiwi

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 6:57 pm
Another Chanukah thing we do is every night I have another treat. Like giant chocolate coins, taffy coins, candy filled dreidels, dreidel pops, store bought donuts, homemade donuts, etc.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 7:00 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
Search for lights Nemoy (he narrated it)

Thank you!

mra01385

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 7:31 pm
I love the ring toss idea with the inflatable donut. Also, last year I did a chanuka trivia game where my kids got tickets for answering questions about chanuka and made Chinese auction out of it where they got to win different prizes like going out for pizza, ice cream, buy a pastry from bakery, extra time on iPad, play game with me or my dh. Etc.

amother
Winterberry

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 11:56 pm
Amazing Savings has lots of easy, fun activities/projects for the young set. We are enjoying foam stickers, color-on placemats and tablecloths. Stickers, in general, are great for this age.

You can do easy food decorating. For example, thread big or med white marshmallows onto skewer, and add a candy corn or Twizzler nib on top to look like a candle and flame.

Turn on Chanuka music and sing and dance!

Toddlers don't need very much to get them excited. (and infant probably doesn't need anything at all)

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:20 am
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:

It's such a beautiful movie! I love it as an adult Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics