Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Social Skills Help

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 3:50 am
My 12 year old son is struggling. He's having a hard time with other kids bothering him and him overreacting. He always laughs when it happens or reacts strongly by hurting and therefore either its not always clear to the other kid that my son really doesn't like it or my son gets in trouble for hurting.

His teacher just strongly recommended that he get help for his social skills.

I want to get him help ASAP because he's already stopped going out after school and spends a lot of time in his room by himself. (He tries to keep the door closed but I generally don't let because I want him to feel part of the family and not alone).

I'm a little helpless though. Does anyone know someone really, really good in the Jerusalem area who helps with social skills? (I don't know who this would be - a social worker? psychologist? counselor?)

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 6:40 am
Usually, social skills help is offered as a group. Which makes sense, if you think about it -- being in a group enables you to practice social skills in a real setting.

Did you ask the teacher/school if they have any recommendations?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 5:49 pm
One of his teachers recommended someone, who recommended someone else. We went but he only told my DS that he had to shower every day, eat well, and make sure to stay put together. My DS actually needs someone to teach him social skills.

tree of life

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 5:58 pm
Hakishiva run programs like this

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 8:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I want to get him help ASAP because he's already stopped going out after school and spends a lot of time in his room by himself. (He tries to keep the door closed but I generally don't let because I want him to feel part of the family and not alone).

He might need that time alone to be able to relax and let ho of the stresses of the day. Forcing him to keep the door open all the time might be counterproductive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions