Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Book on puberty "The care and keeping of you"

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 10:30 pm
I saw this book recommended a lot and read reviews on Amazon. It seems like they put a lot of emphasis on how one may be ashamed of their bodies. My 9 year old is showing some breast buds and I wanted to read the book together with her but I don't want to instill any negative body feeling where the are none. Should I rip out those pages? Read a dif book? Wonder of becoming you is good too but not so light heated, is it? Any other recommendations?

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:18 am
I'm not sure what that means - I guess because it tells girls not to be ashamed of their bodies, that suggests that shame was an option? Seems like overthinking; I think girls naturally feel awkward and need to hear that all body types are fine. Why don't you read the book first to see how you feel about it. I felt comfortable giving it to my girls.

Wonder of Becoming You has an old feel, I thought it was a nice book but kids these days are not as easy to draw in, whereas the American Girl book is all colorful and cutesy.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:36 am
There’s a new frum book out there that I like.
It’s a mother writing letters and her daughter writes back
I forgot the name.

But I have heard about the body image issues with the American girl book and that’s why I stayed away
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics