Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Infant ears pierced and now infected two months later
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:08 pm
Anyone have experience with this. I pierced her ears and last week one was infected I took the earring out and put bacitracin and every day put the earring through the hole. It was looking better and so I put the earring back on but now it doesn’t look so good so took earring off. My doctor said I shouldn’t do anything just use bactroban, don’t put earring in. Now I see her other earring hole is infected. So I haveto take that out. Does that mean the hole is gonna close and I haveto put her through the earring procedure again. What should I do? It could be one closed already

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:11 pm
Poor baby it must really hurt her. I would take them out and but speak to your pediatrician.

Mommy1:)

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:18 pm
could be inflammation or allergy to the metal? what about switching to a different material (ie plastic)?

bunchagirlies

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:22 pm
are you using real gold earrings? or good quality surgical steel? unless it was cross contamination, she may be sensitive to these earrings.
In my experience, if I know I'm using the right kind of earrings, I put bacitracin on the earring post and put the earring back in, and then keep putting bacitracin for a few days. It always worked for me. If you keep the earrings out it's pretty certain that you will have to re-pierce them.

SG18

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:24 pm
Clean with a little soap and water every day. Make sure to get it on the skin.

#Happymom

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:39 pm
I was told not to take out the earrings because the hole can just close up.
With both of my girls, they got infected shortly after piercing, I just applied bacitricin for a few days and then it was fine.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:41 pm
Switch from studs to 14k gold seamless hoops (also called "sleepers"). Posts are horrible for new piercings, and I don't know why on earth people still use them.

A lot more air will be able to reach the hole, and moisture won't get trapped. You can easily clean them, put in some medication, and rotate the hoops around in the ear every day.

It's really the very best way to deal with piercings of any type (on any part of the body. Wink )

Body Circle Jewelry is absolutely the BEST maker of piercing jewelry. The owners were very good friends of mine when they first started out, and were still making jewelry in their garage.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:45 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Switch from studs to 14k gold seamless hoops (also called "sleepers"). Posts are horrible for new piercings, and I don't know why on earth people still use them.

A lot more air will be able to reach the hole, and moisture won't get trapped. You can easily clean them, put in some medication, and rotate the hoops around in the ear every day.

It's really the very best way to deal with piercings of any type (on any part of the body. Wink )

Body Circle Jewelry is absolutely the BEST maker of piercing jewelry. The owners were very good friends of mine when they first started out, and were still making jewelry in their garage.

This! You can order on Amazon tiny gold seamless hoops and they are so much more comfortable for the baby. I would take out the earrings though until healed as it’s painful for the baby. If you are worried the hole will close just slide through a sterile post with bacitracin once every 24-48 hours or maybe more infrequently. Keep the area clean and put on bacitracin.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:54 pm
amother [ Ghostwhite ] wrote:
This! You can order on Amazon tiny gold seamless hoops and they are so much more comfortable for the baby. I would take out the earrings though until healed as it’s painful for the baby. If you are worried the hole will close just slide through a sterile post with bacitracin once every 24-48 hours or maybe more infrequently. Keep the area clean and put on bacitracin.

I disagree with this part. Change the earrings the day you get the new ones.

If the holes close they can cause scar tissue. Re-piercing through scar tissue is way more painful, and there is less blood supply so it will be even harder to heal the second time around. Better to heal the existing holes with the gold hoops. I promise, once you switch the jewelry it will heal up really fast.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 8:37 pm
I. Just tried it, one whole closed up already. I have a baby hoop from my other daughter that’s real gold so I put it through with mupirocin.I didn’t have a choice but to take the earring out as it was so bad . This other one wasn’t so bad so I’m hoping it doesn’t get worse being that I put this hoop through. Can anyone send me a link of baby earrings to get huggie. Or is real 14k better to just buy ?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:01 pm
Look on Amazon for Olivias collection 14k gold seamless hoops. They are a bit tricky to get on and delicate and flimsy but once on they are great and comfortable.

srbmom

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:04 pm
My DD can't wear 14k gold.
I've had no issues with sterling silver

Also, for the hole that's closed, try putting the post through the back. Sometimes there's pus that has built up in the hole (and it's not really closed up yet) and you're able to gently push it out that way.

bunchagirlies

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:18 pm
srbmom wrote:
My DD can't wear 14k gold.
I've had no issues with sterling silver

Also, for the hole that's closed, try putting the post through the back. Sometimes there's pus that has built up in the hole (and it's not really closed up yet) and you're able to gently push it out that way.

this.
I would NOT recommend letting the hole close completely. Try to insert the stud from the back gently, to see if you get save the hole. Don't use the hoop, as that is curved. Often it's just a thin layer of skin in the front that closes, but the inner part is still open.
Once you get it open, you can immediately insert the gold hoop coated in bacitracin.
I have extremely sensitive skin (metal zippers in tops irritate me too)and my girls take after me, so I have way too much experience with this...

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:41 pm
oh gosh let your poor baby have a break
take out the earrings, use saline water on the holes, use bacitracin... and repierce them when she's old enough to ask and take care of them herself.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 10:06 pm
amother [ Hibiscus ] wrote:
oh gosh let your poor baby have a break
take out the earrings, use saline water on the holes, use bacitracin... and repierce them when she's old enough to ask and take care of them herself.

Agree. I have sensitive ears that get infected easily and it can be painful and/or itchy. It can last a few weeks till the infection heals. I feel bad for a baby dealing with the discomfort. I've had my holes close up a couple of times. I got them repierced, no biggie.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 10:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone have experience with this. I pierced her ears and last week one was infected I took the earring out and put bacitracin and every day put the earring through the hole. It was looking better and so I put the earring back on but now it doesn’t look so good so took earring off. My doctor said I shouldn’t do anything just use bactroban, don’t put earring in. Now I see her other earring hole is infected. So I haveto take that out. Does that mean the hole is gonna close and I haveto put her through the earring procedure again. What should I do? It could be one closed already

Let them close.

OK, I confess, I hate the look of babies with pierced ears, but that's your call. In this case, though, she's getting repeated infections in both ears. Its not worth it. She can get them re-pierced when, and if, she decides.

FTR, I got mine pierced at 12. In high school, I developed a keloid that had to be removed. The doctor re-pierced. I was afraid I was getting another keloid, so I removed and let them close. Then I pierced them yet again as an adult, and they're fine.

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 10:37 pm
I agree. As for all the posters saying “You’re gonna have to repierce them” No. No you don’t have to. If your baby is having painful reactions then just give her a break and let her heal. Earrings are not a chiyuv

fmt4

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 11:34 pm
This whole post is so bizarre. Your baby is in pain and you’re worried about if her holes close up??? Who cares??? She certainly doesn’t care! Let her get earrings when she’s old enough to understand what they actually are and want them for herself instead of forcing her to be in pain because you think she looks cute!

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 11:38 pm
I'm very sensitive to metals, and I remember when I first had earrings (about 7 years old) when I had a reaction to the sterling silver ones I was wearing. It was agony! I called my mother to pick me up from school, I couldn't handle the pain.

Nowadays I can wear some 14K gold, but I usually just buy cheaper ones from Simply Whispers which are guaranteed hypoallergenic.

FWIW my holes never closed up, even when I went years without earrings.

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:53 am
Massage Vaseline around ears daily. Helps even if holes seem closed already.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics