Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Anyone run a home lending library? Need advice please

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 3:34 pm
I am thinking of starting a home library l'uli nishmas my mother who loved reading and children. I have the space and some finances.
Just not sure how best to make it work, for the patrons and for my sanity. I would be so sad if books got ruined or lost all the time. And not to be too much for me or my family.
So if you have or help run such a library, can you please share with me your tips and advice, what to do, what not to do, how best to set things up and run them.
I'm thinking about
-how often to be open/how long at a time
-how to catalogue books
-how to "check out" books (I dont want to invest in a scanner and barcodes yet)
-fines? If yes how much and how to keep track
-how to deal with damaged books
-focus only on kids books? Adult too?
-how best to set up the books, what works, what doesn't
-how to protect or cover the books if you do that
-free or a yearly fee?
-how many books per kid/family for how long?
-anywhere to get Jewish books cheaper? Will stores or publishing houses give a discount to a home library?
- etc etc etc!

hanna2010

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 3:44 pm
You can pm me

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 7:36 pm
I patronize our local libraries and have been in the schools as a parent. Here are my answers:

-how often to be open/how long at a time
Your call. I would do one night a week.

-how to catalogue books
Color code. You can do older, younger and then within each side, fiction, biography, anthologies, cookbooks. Non fiction depends on what you have - history, divrei Torah, parenting, etc. And comic books. Then put them in alphabetical order of the author. (Biographies go abc order of the subject.)
You might want to have a spreadsheet with the inventory, or do it on index cards. Keep them in order of how you shelve them, and have the info on the spreadsheet or in a box - author, title, section.
I'd put tape and a label with the letter on the spine. You might want to invest in a stamp and stamp the front.

-how to "check out" books (I dont want to invest in a scanner and barcodes yet)
Go to library supply catalogues like Demco. You can put a card pocket, card, and date due slip in the back of each book. Then stamp the card and the date due slip with the same date. Get a long skinny box and file the cards in abc order of author, and by due date.

-fines? If yes how much and how to keep track
It's not just fines, it's dues too. Dues are easier. But whoever the librarian is should be able to note if the books are overdue and ask for fines.

-how to deal with damaged books
This is a heavy question. I know one well-funded community library that has all their books bound before they hit the shelves. They will fall apart, particularly the comic books. I don't know what to say. Say someone brings back a book in terrible shape but she was allowed to take it out in pretty much the same shape. This is beyond my pay grade.
Now if a book is say,water-damaged, that's another story. You should ask for replacement.

-focus only on kids books? Adult too?
How are you defining adult books? HS kids will want to read the same novels you do.

-how best to set up the books, what works, what doesn't
Get a bunch of bookshelves and shelves as suggested above.

-how to protect or cover the books if you do that
Some libraries will prophylactically bind books, especially the vulnerable ones, before they hit the shelves. And put clear tapes on the edges of paperback books.

-free or a yearly fee?
There has to be a fee.

-how many books per kid/family for how long?
I think our local libraries have two tiers of membership. Individual and family. Maybe 2 books apiece.

-anywhere to get Jewish books cheaper? Will stores or publishing houses give a discount to a home library?
You might want to wait for the publishers sales. Right now, get on the mailing lists of all the publishers, especially with Chanukah coming up. It would be nice if you could get a discount, doesn't hurt to ask. Some kiruv connection, or "only library in the community" or maybe the story behind the library might help.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 7:58 pm
Public libraries are doing away with late fees because the people who need the library most are the ones who can't afford to buy their own books and who find it hardest to pay fees.

I used to long to join the frum libraries but my parents saw no point in paying because I could borrow from neighbors, friends, etc.

I'm not saying you shouldn't charge people membership fees or fine them for overdue books; obviously you need some kind of accountability system. I'm just suggesting you keep your clients' needs in mind, especially if you're doing this as a chessed/leilu nishmas thing.

Perhaps have a program where people (who can afford it) pay someone else's dues/fees?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 8:00 pm
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:
Public libraries are doing away with late fees because the people who need the library most are the ones who can't afford to buy their own books and who find it hardest to pay fees.

I used to long to join the frum libraries but my parents saw no point in paying because I could borrow from neighbors, friends, etc.

I'm not saying you shouldn't charge people membership fees or fine them for overdue books; obviously you need some kind of accountability system. I'm just suggesting you keep your clients' needs in mind, especially if you're doing this as a chessed/leilu nishmas thing.

Perhaps have a program where people (who can afford it) pay someone else's dues/fees?

I think she can use her discretion. But running a library is very expensive.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 8:05 pm
We had one growing up liluy nishmas my grandmother. We were pretty lax with it. We didnt have specific times since it was mostly neighbors who came and they just knocked. We had stickers on them saying they were ours and we had some sort of card system, dont remember what.
Personally I wouldnt charge. I also probably would not patronize a library that charged and only let a couple books since it would definitely not be worth it to me..... run a gemach and have thought about charging but I dont. I want to do it with my whole heart and not for the money.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 8:07 pm
My neighborhood has a free library that is open 24/6. It's in his double parking space underground. He just got a bunch of book shelves, and people started donating books. He doesn't keep meticulous records or coding systems.

You are on your honor to write in the ledger your name, phone number, and the titles that you are taking. If someone else wants the book, and they see you've had it for a while, they can call you to see if you are done with it or not. If you give the book to the next person who wants it, either she or you need to go and update the register to show the current location of the book.

People drop off books all the time, there's no shortage of them!

This is an English library, but other people are starting their own free libraries in Hebrew, French, Spanish, and Russian.

You can also drop off unwanted books at any of the book kiosks at the train stations. Not all stations have free book displays, but most of them do.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 8:08 pm
I go to Mrs shanik's library in lakewood. It's a huge home library(in a tiny basement! Wink )
She doesn't charge anything but has a box for donations on a desk where you can put in any amount you want. She let's you take out 4 books per person and you can keep them for 4 weeks. It's all based on a trust system. Nobody checks anything out.
Before pesach the library is overflowing as I imagine ppl find all the books they had misplaced during the year.
I personally think it's too hard to keep tracks of library books during 4 weeks, I think 2 weeks is a better idea. Also 4 per person is fine but there should be a maximum of 15 per family(again less chance of misplacing books!)
Hatzlacha! A library is a great idea!! Tizku lemitzvos!!
ETA: every single book is bound with thread and tape before going out!
She has hours Thursday night and Friday afternoon, you can call for an app if you want to go any other time!

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 8:38 pm
Everyone gave great advice but I just wanted to say if you're attached to the books, you would have to get over that in order to start a library. Unfortunately most people will not take care of the books as well as you would, and it could be upsetting for you if they come back damaged (especially children's books, but really, all books). If you can accept that there will be some carelessness, and some lost books, and some books damaged beyond repair (and possibly not replaced), it can be a really nice thing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:15 pm
Thank you everyone for your ideas and encouragement. Lots to think about.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:21 pm
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
Everyone gave great advice but I just wanted to say if you're attached to the books, you would have to get over that in order to start a library. Unfortunately most people will not take care of the books as well as you would, and it could be upsetting for you if they come back damaged (especially children's books, but really, all books). If you can accept that there will be some carelessness, and some lost books, and some books damaged beyond repair (and possibly not replaced), it can be a really nice thing.

THIS.

The most responsible adult in the world can turn their back on a toddler with a crayon. It only takes about 2 seconds to destroy a book. Unless the person promises to keep it up on a high shelf at all times, you really have no control over the book once it leaves your hands.

When I loan out books, I never expect to get them back. When they come back, I'm thrilled, but when they don't, I shrug it off.

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:27 pm
Our local Agudah has a library and its a great great service. They run it very professionally. Its not free but its worth every penny. It ends up being about $5 a month. Any book my kids wreck we replace. We can take 12 books per family each visit. Books are due two weeks later. They are open 3 times a week. Sunday afternoon, wed night and thurs morning. Its a lot of work the librarian is a paid position.

If its too much work for you you can donate books in your mothers memory to all the school libraries in your town. Ours puts a nice sticker in the books saying who donated and whose honor. They always need books.

dmum

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 1:15 pm
I run a community library as a chesed and also work in another library - best is to pm me because I have a lot of experience.

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 1:31 pm
It's a lot of work. If you're doing a home free library, be prepared for people to want to come at all times of day/night.
If you have kids books, you should plasticate them before lending them out as they wear out very fast. tbh even the adult books don't seem to be bound well and the spine breaks easily.
We used to have index cards for each book and would write down the name of the borrower on the card. We usually said approx 2 weeks, longer for an old book but ideally only a week for a new book that everyone wanted to read.
At some point I tried to make a spreadsheet/database to keep track but it was a pain. I think there are software out there that can do it for you.
The main reason it fizzled out was that the books went much more expensive and it wasn't worth buying them. I don't normally read the books more than once and it's cheaper and easier for me just to borrow them myself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics