Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Should I move from Lkwd to Passaic? Anyone here did it?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 2:25 pm
Dh job is relocating. He has the option to travel or we can move. I’m very unsure what to do to. Will list my pros and cons

Pros of Lkwd:
-New construction Jewish home with cheap mortgage cuz of tenant (bought 8 years ago)
- tons of family in Lkwd
- love my kids school (only have 1 gender in school so far)
- home based business that maybe I can take with me. Not sure if I’ll have the same volume of customers
- cheap tuition
- frum and very safe neighborhood with shul close by and tons of friends for my kids etc ..
- very frum area with so many good role models around

Cons :
- THE TRAFFIC Punch Punch it’s maddening!!!
- the area around me is still being even more developed and it’s already sooo congested!!
- Peer pressure and standards of living
- one town is currently housing 3 towns worth of shopping so any busy here can give you a migraine just buying a bottle of milk .. in general I feel like I can have a better quality of life elsewhere but I’m def gonna miss out on a lot

Sooo if you’ve done this move - talk to me!!!

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 3:03 pm
I moved from Lkwd to Passaic, and can tell you that it is a breath of fresh air! The people here are so genuine and warm and simple! Also, they are well-balanced in general. Not too extreme in either direction. There is so much real ahavas hatorah and ahavas yisroel here. It has an out of town feel but it's very much in town too. I know other families that moved in and their kids were welcomed with open arms by their classmates! Hatzlacha with your decision!!

greenteaorange

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 3:35 pm
I don’t live in either but I know a lot of people in Passaic.
It is a very warm and growing community. Non materialistic. Very family oriented and torah oriented.
There are 3 supermarkets and I don’t find them to be crowded. I also do not find traffic such an issue there.
One thing to consider is the property sizes are usually smaller in Passaic

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 3:38 pm
What type of business? I live here and can tell you if I think you’d have customers.

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 5:27 pm
greenteaorange wrote:
I don’t live in either but I know a lot of people in Passaic.
It is a very warm and growing community. Non materialistic. Very family oriented and torah oriented.
There are 3 supermarkets and I don’t find them to be crowded. I also do not find traffic such an issue there.
One thing to consider is the property sizes are usually smaller in Passaic

Really? I find the houses in Passaic to be larger than the ones in Lakewood. I guess they're both big communities, with lots of variety. There's a big difference between Passaic and Clifton, just as there's many different neighborhoods in Lakewood. I certainly wouldn't let that determine the decision though, since it's definitely possible to find comparable housing.

It's a hard decision, OP. How do DH and your kids feel about it?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 6:37 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I moved from Lkwd to Passaic, and can tell you that it is a breath of fresh air! The people here are so genuine and warm and simple! Also, they are well-balanced in general. Not too extreme in either direction. There is so much real ahavas hatorah and ahavas yisroel here. It has an out of town feel but it's very much in town too. I know other families that moved in and their kids were welcomed with open arms by their classmates! Hatzlacha with your decision!!

R u in a more right wing part of the community? I’d love to pm someone about the neighborhoods, schools..

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 6:39 pm
How long will your husbands commute be?
To me sounds like you have many pros of where you live now and I wouldn’t be so fast to move but I don’t know much about passiac

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 6:45 pm
I live in Passaic and I go to Lakewood all the time, I have a lot of family there. I can tell you that you have the pros and cons pretty much down pat. It might come down to whether you consider yourself to be, or would prefer yourself to be, more of an in town person or an out of town person. The houses here are very old with tiny lots, though, that I also agree with. Plus real estate has gone crazy lately since COVID but it’s probably nothing compared to what’s happening with Lakewood real estate.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 6:47 pm
amother [ Mayflower ] wrote:
How long will your husbands commute be?
To me sounds like you have many pros of where you live now and I wouldn’t be so fast to move but I don’t know much about passiac

Yes there are very few cons. But hard to explain how much the traffic affects me negatively. The towns around Lkwd (Jackson TR and Manchester) don’t have Jewish infrastructure. They come to Lkwd for everything. It’s beautiful that people have an option to move out to nice areas with more affordable housing. (HA! Everything is crazy expensive now)
BUT my kids don’t have transportation one way this year and the stress and back pain I have from sitting in the car running their carpool with a baby in that back that can take an hour to an hour and 10 mins is crazy!!! The roads are packed!!! I never knew the extent of it till this year but it’s really miserable!
Eventually the other towns will have schools and supermarkets but till then....

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 6:57 pm
Op, I could’ve written your post minus my husbands job situation. The quality of life in Lakewood is down the drain! But we don’t want to move because the pros are overwhelming

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 7:01 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
Op, I could’ve written your post minus my husbands job situation. The quality of life in Lakewood is down the drain! But we don’t want to move because the pros are overwhelming

I knowwww!!! Hardest thing is my entire family is here. I’m not sure if I’m gonna know what hit me if/when I leave

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 7:06 pm
I grew up in brooklyn and I moved to pasaiv after I got married and I LOVE it!! I dont know what lakewood is like, but people in passaic are so warm and down to earth. Its genuinely frum and not too fancy - the chesed here is amazing
But it did get very expensive recently so I think it's hard to find a decent house

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 7:08 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
I grew up in brooklyn and I moved to pasaiv after I got married and I LOVE it!! I dont know what lakewood is like, but people in passaic are so warm and down to earth. Its genuinely frum and not too fancy - the chesed here is amazing
But it did get very expensive recently so I think it's hard to find a decent house

We would probably rent in the beginning and figure out where we want to go. Our home here has probably doubled in value. We paid 500k 8 years ago...

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 7:13 pm
I live on passaic and lived in Lakewood a long time ago. So not completely able to compare. .

Passaic housing is not easy unless you have the money to redo.
Compared to lakewood I would say housing is far more expensive in Passaic and you get far less for your money.
The advantages of passaic have been specified on the thread. It is a great place to live BH. imho. For everything but the housing. And the broader neighborhood.
Since this is the case , the people living in passaic are not here for the gashmius which makes it a lovely community.
I say this irl all the time

mommy2x

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 7:13 pm
Personally I would say he should commute for about a year.
1. You/he can see how draining it is for him or if it's doable. (both with commute and his availability at home)
2. Once you sell your house and move, moving back to Lakewood won't be as affordable so it's probably worthwhile to keep it for now as see how it goes.

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 7:24 pm
Since you mentioned lack of bussing bothers you, I should mention that Passaic has no bussing. Ever. It’s all carpools all the time. I find it to be one of the biggest negatives of living here.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 7:25 pm
amother [ Sunflower ] wrote:
Since you mentioned lack of bussing bothers you, I should mention that Passaic has no bussing. Ever. It’s all carpools all the time. I find it to be one of the biggest negatives of living here.

Does it take an hour plus mins to get the kids to school?

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 7:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does it take an hour plus mins to get the kids to school?

No Smile

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 7:40 pm
It takes about 5-10 minutes to take my kids to school:)
I actually like carpool here!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 7:59 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
It takes about 5-10 minutes to take my kids to school:)
I actually like carpool here!

This morning my GPS put me on the garden state to get home after dropping off my kids. U understand how bad traffic is?
Driving kids is a nice thing. The bus is a stress in the morn. Of course I would rather drive if the drive wasn’t bad..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating