Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
What are insurance options for children not on jerserycare?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 4:14 pm
I am the OP of the other threa (I didn't think this would happen so fast.)
That thread is making my blood pressure go way too high, so I opened this one to get some pratical advice.
One poster advised to look into CHIP. In NY, CHIP is offered for children who do not qualify for Medicaid. Even relatively high incomes qualify for CHIP plans, although they need to pay the plans full premium.
Is there something similar in NJ? What are the options for children not on Jerseycare?

I checked my options on the marketplace (getcovrerednj), but any of the plans that have affordable premiums have insanely high deductibles. Is that my only option?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 4:19 pm
https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/1315

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 4:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am the OP of the other threa (I didn't think this would happen so fast.)
That thread is making my blood pressure go way too high, so I opened this one to get some pratical advice.
One poster advised to look into CHIP. In NY, CHIP is offered for children who do not qualify for Medicaid. Even relatively high incomes qualify for CHIP plans, although they need to pay the plans full premium.
Is there something similar in NJ? What are the options for children not on Jerseycare?

I checked my options on the marketplace (getcovrerednj), but any of the plans that have affordable premiums have insanely high deductibles. Is that my only option?

My husband left yeshiva and took a job that offered health insurance. That’s the only way we can financially make it. I did switch my hours to be available for drop off and pickup up but it works...I fill in hours at night....

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 4:29 pm
If you are in lkwd call lrrc
They have good advice.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 4:49 pm
The only option is to go private. The marketplace is worse than private if you can't get the subsidies.
I'm going to post this here again - if you're just over the limit (around 10k over or less) it's worth it to move some of your income to your 401k, FSA and HSA so you are eligible.
Jersey Care checks your MAGI (adjusted gross income) so those things are not included.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 7:23 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
The only option is to go private. The marketplace is worse than private if you can't get the subsidies.
I'm going to post this here again - if you're just over the limit (around 10k over or less) it's worth it to move some of your income to your 401k, FSA and HSA so you are eligible.
Jersey Care checks your MAGI (adjusted gross income) so those things are not included.

Fwiw at one point I thought we weren’t eligible for any marketplace subsidies so I reached out to a broker to see what I could get privately and guess what? He had the exact same plans as the marketplace had to offer. Nothing more nothing less. Same crappy high deductible plans. (And then I realized that even though I only needed insurance for my husband cuz I was pregnant and my kids and I were eligible for NJFC I still need to put in the dependents onto the marketplace calculation to see what subsidies we would get for him. And Bh Bh we got a subsidy.)

AFAIK the only option after NJFC that has potential for decent plans is an employer policy.

Op, can I suggest you just not take the raise? Tell them to give you benefits instead. Or more time off. Or both. 😈
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries