Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Loss of sense of Smell. When will it return?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 1:29 pm
I had a terrible headache over Shabbos. Last night, while taking a shower after Shabbos, I couldn't smell any of my soap, shampoo or body wash. After my shower I tried to smell vinegar, spices and some scented candles, and I couldn't smell anything!
I took a Covid test this morning and tested positive.
Aside from the headache (which on Shabbos I thought was just from it being a stressful week), feeling really tired and the loss of smell, I don't have any other symptoms.

How long will the loss of smell last? It's really strange not to be able to smell anything! I'm still able to taste. When will my sense of smell return?? I read somewhere it could be MONTHS!!!

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 1:40 pm
DD's came back gradually, but it did take quite a while. Refuah shlaima!

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 1:43 pm
Some people had it for a few days, some for close to a year and some did not come back yet. So it's hard to say! Hopefully yours will come back soon. Refuah shalaima.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 1:45 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ImhTahQTgfM

shnitzel

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 1:52 pm
Mine took a week to start coming back and the another week before it was normal. I kept sniffing things the whole time hoping that would help. It’s really hard to cook without your sense of smell.

My 8 year olds sense of smell actually took a lot longer. I was seriously worried but b”h it’s normal now.

Last edited by shnitzel on Sun, Nov 07 2021, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 1:54 pm
Mine only lasted like a week. I was hoping to lose weight if the loss of taste persisted but no such luck.

It came back gradually. First I could smell faintly, then could smell some smells and not others, then only if my nose was right up to it. I’m still only partially able to smell food cooking in another room.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 5:37 pm
It’s been 8 months for me. I barely smell. And many things smell weird and aweful. My covid was very mild bh

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 5:42 pm
There are essential oils you can smell that can help you get your smell back.
Many ppl I know saw success. For me worked very fast.

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 5:55 pm
Dhs isn't fully back yet. It's been over a year.

I had covid before covid. Lol.
It was in Jan before anyone dreamed covid will hit NY. I had an absolutely HORRIBLE cold. The worst I've ever experienced. My tiny baby had a nasty cold too what the doctor assumed was RSV. So I was worried about him. I was so weak and nauseous and shortness of breath and everything covid related. Then I finally started feeling better and one day I woke up without my sense of smell. I had used a yucky smelling mixture of essential oils in a diffuser to boost mine and my sons immunesystem, but suddenly I couldn't smell it. The thing was working, I saw, but I couldn't smell it. I freaked out that maybe I did too much, but I followed exact instructions.
My GP had never heard of something like that he was stumped too. After 2 weeks my sense of taste started returning then my sense of smell shortly thereafter. Then NY went crazy with covid, then USA......
And a few weeks later people started talking about covid and loss of smell.....

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 5:55 pm
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
There are essential oils you can smell that can help you get your smell back.
Many ppl I know saw success. For me worked very fast.

Which ones?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:40 pm
OP here: Thanks everyone for your replies. It's really stressing me out that I can't smell anything!!!

amother
Caramel

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 2:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here: Thanks everyone for your replies. It's really stressing me out that I can't smell anything!!!

When I had it I actually found it kind of cool. I paid more attention to textures of food that I didn’t notice before. My COVID was mild otherwise. But the loss of smell didn’t last long.

The funny thing is I always crave grapefruit juice when I’m sick and that was one thing I COULD taste.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 3:18 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
Which ones?

Lemon, eucalyptus, rose and clove. You're not supposed to smell it directly from the bottle as it is too strong.

sky

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 4:45 pm
We used eucalyptus oil, rose oil, and fresh lemon.
We smelled direct 3x per day - 10 seconds per nostril.
At first I did it to humor my dh but then saw every day my smell was improving slowly. First few times didn’t smell anything at all.
My smell could’ve come back without it.
I’ll never know.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 7:43 pm
Returned in about two weeks. Refuah sheleima!

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:28 pm
Got it may 2020 cannot smell alot, most things have a horrible smell

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 4:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Lemon, eucalyptus, rose and clove. You're not supposed to smell it directly from the bottle as it is too strong.

where do you buy these? (U.S) and does it help taste return too? what helps for that?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 5:06 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
where do you buy these? (U.S) and does it help taste return too? what helps for that?

https://www.amazon.com/Lemon-E.....r=8-3

Yes it helps with taste too, and the 2 are interconnected.

Cut out water color paper to line the bottom of 4 amber glass jars.

Drop 5 drops of one essential oil into a jar. Label jar and cover so you know which jar has which scent.

2 times a day, take small mindful sniffs of each scent (about 3 sniffs each), being curious about the smell, and conjuring up in your mind what the scent smells like. Continue to rest of the scents.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T.....PPNGC
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics