Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
If you always wear glasses how often do you buy new frames?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

shanie5

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:22 pm
I get my eyes checked yearly and almost always need a new perscription. My kids too. So we get glasses yearly. I wear progressives and the cheapest in my area are $220. Thats with a very limited choice of frames. And when we had insurance for kids glasses, it still cost me over $100 a pair.

Then my son in law told me where he gets his glasses in Brooklyn. And we started going there. It's worth the 2.5 hour drive for us. We go in for other reasons too and make a day of it. My progressive glasses cost me $125-$150 a pair. My kids get 2 pair each for a total of $89-and thats with upgrades. DH too. We choose the glasses and he ships them to us when they are ready.

The best part is that with this new place I get constant compliments on my glasses. I never did before.

nicole81

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:49 pm
I have a very high rx as well. I've been buying from warby parker over the last 8 years. My last pair from them, which cost $95 at the time, lasted almost 7 years until I fell asleep with them. I loved them and didn't want a change.

My rx changed recently so I bought 2 new pairs in August. Even with the high index lenses and other options, they cost $135 and $195 for the "limited edition" pair. I'm probably going to purchase a third pair in a different style because I like changing my glasses based on my outfit and sheitel😃 but it's not going to be more than $140 and I expect them to last a long while.

I used to buy into that garbage that my prescription required a much higher price, and I remember my mom spending hundreds of dollars on glasses for me in the eighties. After spending over $700 on a pair in which I never could quite see correctly, I tried WP and was hooked.

shanie5

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:04 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I have a very high rx as well. I've been buying from warby parker over the last 8 years. My last pair from them, which cost $95 at the time, lasted almost 7 years until I fell asleep with them. I loved them and didn't want a change.

My rx changed recently so I bought 2 new pairs in August. Even with the high index lenses and other options, they cost $135 and $195 for the "limited edition" pair. I'm probably going to purchase a third pair in a different style because I like changing my glasses based on my outfit and sheitel😃 but it's not going to be more than $140 and I expect them to last a long while.

I used to buy into that garbage that my prescription required a much higher price, and I remember my mom spending hundreds of dollars on glasses for me in the eighties. After spending over $700 on a pair in which I never could quite see correctly, I tried WP and was hooked.

I keep getting emails from them that they will send you frames to try on at home. Do you do that?

coloredleaves

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:49 pm
I will be the less frugal voice. I see this as almost important as a Sheitel bc it glasses are part of how you look and not liek shoes that u any not notice.
I wear progressives and can only wear contacts maybe once a month or my eyes get irritated. I recently bought two at once. 400-500 each. I hope they last 2-3 years. Once was covered about half by insurance. I decided not to feel guilty bc I wear them virtually every day and it needs to look good on my face and also is a bit of a fashion accessory. I got one dark frame and one light almost clear frame so they are very different looks. It makes me feel less and for myself that I can't wear contacts very often. I thought of the extra one like the cost of two shabbas outfits. I can afford to still buy a new shabbas outfit or two but if I couldn't I would prefer the glasses instead bc they are on my face and part of how I look all the time, day in and day out. I'm in my forties and a professional and I just think it isn't worth scrimping. I feel so good having two pairs and deciding which look each day. It makes me feel less and about not being able to wear contacts much.

nicole81

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 11:15 pm
shanie5 wrote:
I keep getting emails from them that they will send you frames to try on at home. Do you do that?

I did that before my last visit to the store so I could narrow down what I looked at. I still ended up trying on every frame in the store lol. But the whole try on process was very easy. I just recommend looking carefully at the dimensions of the frames to get a feel of what would look best. Might be useful to measure your current frames and stick to sizes near that, even if a different shape.

Also, I returned a pair a few weeks after purchase and exchanged them for a different pair. They have free returns, no questions asked, and tell you to hold onto the original frames until you get the new ones so you can see in the meantime.

amother
Almond

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 7:20 am
shanie5 wrote:
I get my eyes checked yearly and almost always need a new perscription. My kids too. So we get glasses yearly. I wear progressives and the cheapest in my area are $220. Thats with a very limited choice of frames. And when we had insurance for kids glasses, it still cost me over $100 a pair.

Then my son in law told me where he gets his glasses in Brooklyn. And we started going there. It's worth the 2.5 hour drive for us. We go in for other reasons too and make a day of it. My progressive glasses cost me $125-$150 a pair. My kids get 2 pair each for a total of $89-and thats with upgrades. DH too. We choose the glasses and he ships them to us when they are ready.

The best part is that with this new place I get constant compliments on my glasses. I never did before.

What do you do if you have a problem with the glasses? If they break or need to be readjusted? Do you have somewhere locally that doesn't mind helping you even if you didn't buy them there? Do they charge? I can see that being very awkward.
I guess the same would apply when you order online.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 7:30 am
I skipped to the end.

Adults are supposed to get their eyes checked every 3 to 5 years, and then over 40 you should get your eyes checked every 2 to 3 years.

At 50, my prescription suddenly changed drastically, and I ended up needing transition lenses. It took me a while to get used to them, and now I don't even notice.

If you are in the US, Costco is the best thing ever for glasses. Great prices, and very accurate doctors.

If you have a simple prescription, you can't go wrong with Zenni. Sometimes they make mistakes with more complicated lenses, so take your Zenni glasses to an optometrist to check and make sure that it matches your prescription. Check them every time, because even if you order a bunch together, sometimes things happen.

shanie5

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 9:11 pm
amother [ Almond ] wrote:
What do you do if you have a problem with the glasses? If they break or need to be readjusted? Do you have somewhere locally that doesn't mind helping you even if you didn't buy them there? Do they charge? I can see that being very awkward.
I guess the same would apply when you order online.

We haven't had problems except once when DDs glasses broke. We were going in to ny anyway, so we stopped by. In terms of adjustments, there are many places that will adjust glases-some for a nominal fee, others for free. If they provide a nice/good small service its good advertisement for them. their thought process is that maybe next time I will shop by them. And who knows? Maybe I will.

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 10:31 pm
I wear progressives, prisms, and have a high prescription. I’m very satisfied with Costco and the quality is great. With insurance I think I paid $60 last time and that included transition lenses and anti-glare coating. I get glasses every year or so. My prescription changed a lot when I discovered I needed prisms. I love my frames, however some of my family members don’t like the frame selection at Costco.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:47 pm
singleagain wrote:
My mom gets progressive and transition and she is a really heavy prescription and she just got from Zenni if you have any specific questions I can ask her

Hi- I started this thread a few months ago. I’ve been shopping around in many local stores and can’t find anything nice for my face. Actually I did find one pair but they were $600!! Probably a brand name but I wouldn’t even know… so I keep coming back to zenni and tonight I decided based on everything you said that I should just order and whatever happens, happens! However because I need progressive lenses it’s not just a few dollars. It’s $99 a pair. I know if I would be buying from a regular store I would have to pay a few hundred so this is definitely cheaper. But what if they don’t look nice? What if they don’t fit well? I don’t mind chancing it up to $30 but this is about $100. What do you think?

singleagain

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi- I started this thread a few months ago. I’ve been shopping around in many local stores and can’t find anything nice for my face. Actually I did find one pair but they were $600!! Probably a brand name but I wouldn’t even know… so I keep coming back to zenni and tonight I decided based on everything you said that I should just order and whatever happens, happens! However because I need progressive lenses it’s not just a few dollars. It’s $99 a pair. I know if I would be buying from a regular store I would have to pay a few hundred so this is definitely cheaper. But what if they don’t look nice? What if they don’t fit well? I don’t mind chancing it up to $30 but this is about $100. What do you think?

So they have a quiz for what style looks good ok your face.
https://www.zennioptical.com/g...../quiz

Also they have a virtual try on.
https://www.zennioptical.com/tryon

Also they have a 30 day return policy
https://zenni.zendesk.com/hc/e.....licy-

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:56 pm
Wearing the same ones for over 2.5 years. Was about 10 years before that, and 8 years before that... My prescription hasn't changed in many years...

singleagain

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:56 pm
Also. You said you found a frame you liked.. look for similar styles on Zenni

And I forgot to mention. Free shipping for return.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:04 pm
singleagain wrote:
So they have a quiz for what style looks good ok your face.
https://www.zennioptical.com/g...../quiz

Also they have a virtual try on.
https://www.zennioptical.com/tryon

Also they have a 30 day return policy
https://zenni.zendesk.com/hc/e.....licy-

Thanks for responding!
I just checked their return policy. It’s store credit or 50% back. Okay, that’s better than being out a pair completely.
It feels better to place the order.
Wish I could find those $7 frames!

singleagain

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for responding!
I just checked their return policy. It’s store credit or 50% back. Okay, that’s better than being out a pair completely.
It feels better to place the order.
Wish I could find those $7 frames!

https://www.zennioptical.com/p.....aw.ds

6.95.. but kids. And it does come in other colors.

singleagain

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:08 pm
Hers the list of women's 6.95 glass

https://www.zennioptical.com/b.....57837

singleagain

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:11 pm
These are the frames I have
So lightweight and comfy

https://www.zennioptical.com/p.....57736

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:17 pm
Just a point to consider: I have found that it takes at least a few minutes to adjust to another pair of glasses, even if they are both the same prescription. I would not buy 2 pairs at once and switch off every day.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:34 pm
I am ready to order from zenni but there doesn’t seem to be free shipping. Is there a coupon code I need to enter?

singleagain

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:38 pm
https://www.latimes.com/coupon.....tical

https://www.couponcabin.com/co.....ical/

https://couponfollow.com/site/.....l.com

Here are some.websites with coupons codes
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics