Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
1 month old always congested

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:38 pm
What's causing his congestion and how can I help avoid it?

It is very annoying and probably uncomfortable for the baby.

I put him in a steamy bathroom and also squirt some breastmilk Hee hee in to his nostrils as per Google.

I'm substituting oat milk for my regular milk in my coffee.

It's not better. It's on and off.

Any other suggestions or insights?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:03 pm
Congestion is normal for a baby. Is his breathing ok?
Maybe ask your doctor about raising his mattress a bit at the head. Did you ask your doctor about a steam bathroom? It can be dangerous and suffocating for babies. Good luck

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:05 pm
My newborn was also like this. I used the nose frida and it was amazing. Helped him eat better too. I usually cleaned his nose out 1x a day for the first month or 2. I put a few saline drops in first, let it sit for a 2-3 min and then zooped all the junk out.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:20 pm
I use a nose bulb thingy to clean my LO's nose when she's congested. I also do a steam bathroom- highly recommended to clear out the sinuses. I see a big difference after doing it. I breastfeed her while in there, allowing her to clear out her nose, get everything running.

peekaboo

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 11:08 pm
One of my kids were always congested. When she around 10 months I took her to an ENT, turned out she had very enlarged adenoids that caused her congestion, and it cleared up up once we had it removed. I'm not sure if they would do the procedure on a baby that young tho

amother
Chestnut

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 1:55 am
We use saline a few times a day. Dr said her nose is just so small so any small mucus but clogs her up

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 2:29 am
Cut out all dairy , not just milk. For a full 2 weeks to see if it improves

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 2:43 am
One of my children had this as a baby. It was painful for me to hear his congested breathing, but didn't bother him. I was sure he had athsma. I tried everything from salt water up his nose to breastmilk up his nose, nothing helped a bit.

The nurses at Tipat Chalav assured me it was normal , and it finally went away at 7 weeks old!

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 3:13 am
Yes, enlarged adenoids can cause frequent congestion. Don’t know if that’s an issue in little babies though. Good idea to bring up with doctor.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 8:29 am
I feel you op. I could have written this post word for word. It’s so frustrating and difficult. I can’t use the bulb because he keeps turning away and twice when I did it and he swiftly turned away, he got a little boo boo. So no more of that. It makes him cranky and keeps him up at night.
I sometimes do the steam in the bathroom but I can’t keep doing especially since I know that it can be dangerous and needs to be done on and off.
I try to limit his dairy intake but he doesn’t eat that much and loves his cheese and yogurt, so that’s hard too.
What nose bulb works best?
Any other suggestions?

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 8:34 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I feel you op. I could have written this post word for word. It’s so frustrating and difficult. I can’t use the bulb because he keeps turning away and twice when I did it and he swiftly turned away, he got a little boo boo. So no more of that. It makes him cranky and keeps him up at night.
I sometimes do the steam in the bathroom but I can’t keep doing especially since I know that it can be dangerous and needs to be done on and off.
I try to limit his dairy intake but he doesn’t eat that much and loves his cheese and yogurt, so that’s hard too.
Any other suggestions?

Re the bolded- none of them do. Nose frida actually works. Highly, highly recommend.

momsrus

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 9:03 am
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
Re the bolded- none of them do. Nose frida actually works. Highly, highly recommend.

Nose freida is the best. It sounds gross but is really not and it works!

amother
Snapdragon

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 9:11 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Any other suggestions?

I use one from Walmart. I put the baby in my lap vertically, with her head hanging between my legs, and my husband cleans her nose with the bulb.
She likes looking at people upside down, so it makes it easier.

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 10:59 pm
momsrus wrote:
Nose freida is the best. It sounds gross but is really not and it works!

Based on Amazon reviews, mothers using this get sick from sucking on their sick baby’s nose.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics