Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Please tell me about Oros HS

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 6:37 pm
If you went or sent your daughter. What was your experience? What does the school focus on, what is the atmosphere like?
TIA

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 7:08 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Sat, Nov 13 2021, 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Birch

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 9:06 pm
My daughter is there. She is very happy. The girls are nice cute fun and regular frum normal girls not ultra yeshivish. It’s academic but not so so pressured. They have extra curricular like melava malka, a breakfast, Yom iyun. Mrs oratz the English principal is warm and gets to know all the girls. The teachers are wonderful, experienced, and dynamic. The girls are from every elementary except maybe bnos Melech and tehillas chaya sara

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 9:07 pm
How many classes are there?
Which camps do the girls go to?

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 9:14 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
How many classes are there?
Which camps do the girls go to?

4 classes per grade with 30-35 girls per class.
Girls go to Bais Yaakov, Naaleh, Malka, MTM, some Maarava and BRC, some Bnos

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 9:24 pm
Thanks.

Don't take this question the wrong way, but is it 1 step to the left of Shiras Devorah ? And is it very similar to Aderes?

I really dont know anyone IRL that sends to any of these schools. And my siblings - relatives that live in lakewood are younger then me or send to dif type of schools..

amother
Birch

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 9:28 pm
It’s more similar to aderes than shiras devora. My daughter wanted oros or aderes
Shiras Devora is more into the latest things and peer pressure. Oros girls don’t need a tiffany necklace, Michelle watch or London kids shoes like shiras devora.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 9:29 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Thanks.

Don't take this question the wrong way, but is it 1 step to the left of Shiras Devorah ? And is it very similar to Aderes?

I really dont know anyone IRL that sends to any of these schools. And my siblings - relatives that live in lakewood are younger then me or send to dif type of schools..

Shiras Devorah has a significant "Heimish" crowd. So they have a significant parent body with bekishes, some up-hats, etc.
Oros and Aderes seem very similar. Down the middle, mainstream. My DD was in Bais Faiga. 6 girls from her elementary school class went to Oros.
Her high school class is comprised of Bais Faiga, Tiferes, Bnos Yaakov, Bnos Devorah, Bnos Orchos Chaim, an occasional Bais Tova and Bais Rivka Rochel girl.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 9:36 pm
I appreciate your responses.
I - my daughter , am planning to apply to shiras devora, oros and aderes.
(Daughter is also my oldest and my other girl is a baby..)
We would be happy to get into either.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 9:57 pm
Thanks for responses!

How does it compare to Bais Yaakov?

amother
Birch

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 9:57 pm
You need to apply to one more school
Maybe Bais Yaakov, bais kaila, or meiras
The vaad won’t help u if u don’t apply to 4 schools

amother
Birch

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 9:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for responses!

Bais Yaakov had academic and peer pressure. The girls are pressured to get good grades and to have the latest things

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 10:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for responses!

Academic level is similar to Bais Yaakov as I see with my daughter and her friends. The difference is the pressure.
Bais Yaakov, there is pressure to excel, there's a huge stigma in getting a tutor or modified, and top grades are a prerequisite for GO or a main part. There's also more of a "brand pressure" in Bais Yaakov. And huge classes with 45 girls.
Oros has high academics but it's not the only thing. A C student can be GO Head if she's a good role model, modified is common and brands are not a pressure.
But Bais Yaakov has a "name" for those who care about those things (if you can get in).

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 10:06 pm
amother [ Oatmeal ] wrote:
Academic level is similar to Bais Yaakov as I see with my daughter and her friends. The difference is the pressure.
Bais Yaakov, there is pressure to excel, there's a huge stigma in getting a tutor or modified, and top grades are a prerequisite for GO or a main part. There's also more of a "brand pressure" in Bais Yaakov. And huge classes with 45 girls.
Oros has high academics but it's not the only thing. A C student can be GO Head if she's a good role model, modified is common and brands are not a pressure.
But Bais Yaakov has a "name" for those who care about those things (if you can get in).

Are you hearing this from girls currently in the school? Or is it the name on the street?

Also how would you say the crowds compare?

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 10:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are you hearing this from girls currently in the school? Or is it the name on the street?

Also how would you say the crowds compare?

My daughter is CURRENTLY in Oros. She has very good friends on our block CURRENTLY in Bais Yaakov.
BH my daughter is a good student but it's ok if she gets an 80 in Math, she can still try for a big part in play. And getting a school bag from Target or Center of Town is just fine. Her coat is from Burlington. Her shoes were on clearance at Royal Family. Her tshirts in the summer were mostly from Target.

Her good friends in Bais Yaakov NEED to get a 90 on their tests or they won't get a good part in the play. The NEED specific school bag brands, they NEED Montcler coats and London whatever shoes (I don't do name brands) and they are desperate to buy a hardtail shirt for school melave malka (true story, neighbor dragged my daughter Thursday night to the store so she can have the right "top".)
But Bais Yaakov does have a more yeshivish crowd, old-time Lakewood.
Oros is more central middle of the road.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 12:22 am
I am not from Lkwd. I have a relative who married an Oros girl. She and her sisters(all have been in Oros HS in the past 1-8 years) Are all tznius, sweet, smart, friendly down-to-earth girls.
The family is absolutely lovely, normal, yeshivish, torahdig.
They are not super stylish
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries