Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Training on the job to get the job. Would you do it?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 2:25 am
I have tried a few different jobs over the years that entail a training bit before you are actually given the job, by the company itself. In other words, the company is paying you to take their training course so that you can do their job.
Ive been let go from a few during the training, for various reasons and others just have not worked out.
I just saw another such training / job that looks very interesting to me.
I have not had good luck with finding work over the years.
Would you take such a job/training with my track record? Im always nervous to try, yet again, with something new. I am not young and cant stand how even though these things look great when I start, I seem to not have any luck.

Would you do such a training/job thing to obtain a job?

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 2:50 am
As long as they are paying you, I don't think it's a bad idea. Instead of thinking about it as another job to learn, reframe it that you are able to learn so many new things.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 5:00 am
Of course I would do the training if the job sounded interesting.

But, I would also try to fix whatever it was that made me not have a great track record of keeping jobs. What have your former employers given as the reason when you were let go?

Also be aware that the training period for these jobs is actually an extended interview, basically. They’re watching to see if you’re a quick learner, if you get along with others, if you arrive early and are conscientious, etc. So you’re being watched the whole time.

I would think that now, when so many places are desperate to hire, would be a great opportunity to try again at getting work.

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 5:12 am
Definitely!

I'd be suspicious of any job that asked me to pay for the training before they hired me, but if they're covering the costs, great.

At the worst, there's a little ego bruising, and at least something learned that you didn't know before.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:43 am
why not?

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 9:29 am
Most people have to pay to go to school and there's no guarantee of a job at the end. If I were currently not employed and someone was willing to pay me to learn, how could I possibly lose? If it works out, great, I've acquired a skill and a job. If it doesn't work out, I'm no worse off than I was before and I have a few drachmas more to my name.

But if you have not succeeded at multiple legitimate earn-while-you-learn programs , try to figure out why. What do you mean by "they just didn't work out"? You dropped out of the course because you were bored, or the travel was too much for you, or you disliked the instructor? If you completed the course but didn't pass, why did you not pass and what can you do to make sure that next time you do pass? If you did pass the courses but weren't hired, why not?

Do you have trouble following instructions? Do you resist taking directions from others? Are you a slower-than-average learner? Do you jump in to courses without considering whether the work interests you and then bail when you discover that it doesn't ? Or are the courses actually scams in some way?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics