Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Absence seizures ? Any experience?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 5:07 pm
Wow bluebonnet. Thanks for sharing
That’s so beautiful. I needed to hear this. Not dealing with seizures in a baby- but something else in a kid with what ifs...
very refreshing perspective.

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 5:21 pm
Didnt read whole thread just jumping on -
It’s highly genetic, I had it and my eldest had it. As our neurologist told us, it’s the “best sort of thing to have amongst all the things he treats”.
It’s basically a 30 second “total space out” that happens several times a day (or even hundreds of times a day though you may not realize it- an EKG will tell you how often it happens.) It usually goes away by itself when the child “ages out” of it - my daughter’s petered out when she was 7 or 8 BH.
Until that happened though we did toy with medication once we realized the dangers that her absence seizure (also known as petit mal seizures) were presenting - not in the seizure itself but

1. She would always walk into the street when experiencing one
2. She fell off her seat on the bus during an episode and hurt her head
3. We had to arrange a shadow during swim time in the pool in daycamp
4. It was (possibly) affecting her behavior and scholastic functioning because she was having seizures hundreds of times a day and losing minutes right left and center, losing the thread of conversation and getting frustrated (possibly not - this kid is ADHD so might just be that)

However the medication is a minuscule dose AND Has been studied for over 40 years, so there were great long term studies, and we at last felt comfortable giving it to her. It worked after a week. We only needed to use it a few months before she aged out of it anyway.

We used a neurologist in CHOP and were very happy BH. They will give your child EKGs while triggering the seizures with light patterns so they can observe them. It is completely harmless and not scary for your child as long as you prepare them that they will have electric leads attached to their hair. My daughter had a lot of fun actually :-) the hospital was very kid friendly and she still begs to go back for a “checkup” because it was “so much fun ma!”

Hatzlocha!!!

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:51 pm
amother [ Firethorn ] wrote:
Didnt read whole thread just jumping on -
It’s highly genetic, I had it and my eldest had it. As our neurologist told us, it’s the “best sort of thing to have amongst all the things he treats”.
It’s basically a 30 second “total space out” that happens several times a day (or even hundreds of times a day though you may not realize it- an EKG will tell you how often it happens.) It usually goes away by itself when the child “ages out” of it - my daughter’s petered out when she was 7 or 8 BH.
Until that happened though we did toy with medication once we realized the dangers that her absence seizure (also known as petit mal seizures) were presenting - not in the seizure itself but

1. She would always walk into the street when experiencing one
2. She fell off her seat on the bus during an episode and hurt her head
3. We had to arrange a shadow during swim time in the pool in daycamp
4. It was (possibly) affecting her behavior and scholastic functioning because she was having seizures hundreds of times a day and losing minutes right left and center, losing the thread of conversation and getting frustrated (possibly not - this kid is ADHD so might just be that)

However the medication is a minuscule dose AND Has been studied for over 40 years, so there were great long term studies, and we at last felt comfortable giving it to her. It worked after a week. We only needed to use it a few months before she aged out of it anyway.

We used a neurologist in CHOP and were very happy BH. They will give your child EKGs while triggering the seizures with light patterns so they can observe them. It is completely harmless and not scary for your child as long as you prepare them that they will have electric leads attached to their hair. My daughter had a lot of fun actually :-) the hospital was very kid friendly and she still begs to go back for a “checkup” because it was “so much fun ma!”

Hatzlocha!!!

I never heard of it being genetic. No one related to myself or my husband has any type of seizure disorder. I personally know two other kids with this and in those families too, it was a big shock as they did not have any relatives with any type of epilepsy. I don't think its typically genetic in that sense.
Also, these type of seizures are often induced by hyperventilating. My child did not have any reaction to the flashing lights although they do show them by the eegs.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics