Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Couscous with Lemon, Scallions, and Feta

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 1:29 pm
A nice side for dairy or fish dinner. A plus is that it is made ahead of time and served at room temperature so perfect for Shabbos lunch.

Excerpt From: America's Test Kitchen - Menu Cookbook

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS: Couscous is an incredibly easy side dish, and great for a crowd because it can be served either warm or at room temperature. Though it may look like a grain, couscous is actually tiny pasta made from semolina. During our testing, we found that toasting the couscous for a few minutes before adding the liquid gave it a deeper, richer flavor. The toasted couscous can then simply be soaked in boiling water to hydrate and turn tender.

For an accurate measurement of boiling water, bring a full kettle of water to a boil, then measure out the desired amount. This dish can be served warm or at room temperature.

2¼ cups couscous
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups boiling water
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest plus ¼ cup juice (2 lemons)
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (2 cups)
½ cup pine nuts, toasted (see "Toasting Nuts and Seeds")
12 scallions, sliced thin
½ cup chopped fresh mint

1. Toast couscous with 2 tablespoons olive oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes; transfer to large bowl.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in now-empty skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl with couscous. Stir boiling water and ¾ teaspoon salt into couscous, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let sit until couscous is tender, about 12 minutes.

3. Fluff couscous with fork, breaking up any clumps. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, lemon zest and juice in small bowl. Add lemon mixture, feta, pine nuts, and scallions to couscous and gently toss to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Couscous can sit at room temperature for up to 2 hours and be refrigerated for up to 1 day. If refrigerated, bring to room temperature or microwave, covered, until hot, 3 to 5 minutes.) Before serving, fold in mint.”

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 26 2017, 1:32 pm
delete

yiddishmom

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 7:27 pm
Old thread, but I wanted to let you know that I made it for supper last week. It was delicious.

My husband's comment: "restaurant style".

Thanks for sharing many of your delicious recipes.

Amarante

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 8:09 am
yiddishmom wrote:
Old thread, but I wanted to let you know that I made it for supper last week. It was delicious.

My husband's comment: "restaurant style".

Thanks for sharing many of your delicious recipes.

I am glad you enjoyed it. It certainly delivers flavor beyond the effort it takes to make it.

I am adding a recipe that I have made for many years which people love. Like the couscous recipe, it is made ahead of time and served at room temperature. It is a perfect complement to a simple roasted chicken or fish. This one is parve if you make it with vegetable stock.

Wild Rice Salad from The Silver Palate

yield: 4 - 5 prep time: 30 MINUTES cook time: 25 MINUTES inactive time: 30 MINUTES total time: 1 HOUR 25 MINUTES

Nutty, crunchy, sweet, a little salty with an orange/olive oil dressing.

Ingredients

Inredients

1 c (1/2 lb) raw wild rice
5 1/2 c defatted chicken stock
1 c walnut halves or pecans - large chop works well
1 c yellow raisins
Grated rind of 1-2 oranges
1/2 c chopped fresh mint
4 scallions, thinly sliced
About 2 tbsp olive oil (add one and adjust to taste)
1/3 c fresh orange juice
1 1/2 tsp salt (taste as you add to make sure proper balance)
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Place rice in a strainer and rinse well in cold water to cleanse. Put into a heavy medium saucepan and add stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, cooking uncovered for 45 minutes. After 30 minutes, check to see if it is done. Drain in a towel-lined colander and transfer to bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and toss together gently. Adjust seasonings and let sit at least 2 hours (I like to let it sit overnight) to let flavors develop. Serve at room temperature. Excellent with grilled lamb or beef and roasted vegetables and a hearty green salad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics