Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
S/O Ali Shopping. What’s the truth?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 2:00 pm
Behind all those brand name stuff? Like the ferragamo shoes for example. Anyone bought it and has the same? Is it the same exact?? How
Do they do it? Someone once told they produce more of the real after hours. I wonder if that’s true.
Another point. I love designer, always did. Never was able to afford. At this point I would treat myself to an expensive shoe. But I feel like if I buy myself Chanel shoes now it lost it’s value. And everyone will think it’s fake! Anyone get me? (And no I don’t live for others only but if I’m buying designer I want to feel designer) hard to explain I’m sure a lot of u understand

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 2:22 pm
I think that fake items from China look fake. They will often take the picture of the actual item (these ridiculous "scotch" coats everyone seems so enamored with), and approximate the look. If I buy on AliExpress, a word to the wise is to only buy when there are real customers posting themselves wearing the item in their review. Make sure it looks real and not beautifully lit, model looks beautiful and super skinny, etc. Otherwise, it's all photoshop or fake pictures.

I also don't care to impress everyone with how much money I've spent, so I will sometimes buy a shoe that looks similar (think those spikes on the Valentino shoes, or a white band on the back similar to the J'Adore), but is clearly just the look instead of the actual real thing. So if that's what you like, AliExpress is for you. Those Ferragamo shoes will look plasticky.

If you love the tailoring of designer clothing, or the look of an authentic shoe, you can find lots of stuff at resale shops in person and online.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 2:24 pm
They are copies. Not same factory.
Some are good quality and some lousy quality.

To me it is stealing to buy it. I never asked a rav.
Once my son Asked me to buy him ferragamo belt.
And I spoke to him about it.
How would you feel if you built something and ppl copied and sold it with your logo and pretended to be you.
Secondly what is the point of wearing the logo - especially a fake logo. What are image are you projecting?

He agreed and didn’t want it to

To me it just feels like putting your self image above honesty.

And yes when ppl are carrying around 4000 bags it does look ridiculous.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 3:09 pm
amother [ Cadetblue ] wrote:
They are copies. Not same factory.
Some are good quality and some lousy quality.

To me it is stealing to buy it. I never asked a rav.
Once my son Asked me to buy him ferragamo belt.
And I spoke to him about it.
How would you feel if you built something and ppl copied and sold it with your logo and pretended to be you.
Secondly what is the point of wearing the logo - especially a fake logo. What are image are you projecting?

He agreed and didn’t want it to

To me it just feels like putting your self image above honesty.

And yes when ppl are carrying around 4000 bags it does look ridiculous.

There are great ferragamo belts for your son at resale shops. It seems to be the uniform for all these boys, and maybe he wants to fit in. They can be pretty cheap on resale.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 3:13 pm
The very high end designers, such as chanel, gucci, etc. generally don't look exactly the same, although a real good knock-off might look good enough to someone who's not an expert.

The lower end designers, such as kids' clothing louisiella, fub, etc. look identical and may be extra pieces off the run, such as the stuff from alivibes.

You can usually see customer photos at the bottom of the page. there, you'll see what the actual product looks like

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 3:17 pm
some kids clothing are THE identical to the original brand.
I.e. Wynken, bobo choses, tiny cottons, MarMar. I heard they take the leftover fabric and produce more of the same items.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 3:46 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
There are great ferragamo belts for your son at resale shops. It seems to be the uniform for all these boys, and maybe he wants to fit in. They can be pretty cheap on resale.

It’s not really a value I want for him

amother
Chambray

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 4:03 pm
I once bought knockoff Valentino rock stud shoes. So uncomfortable and they bent in a way that left a mark permanently. Junk.

The belts and bags look fake for the most part

Zehava

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 4:07 pm
They’re not the same quality IME

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 4:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Behind all those brand name stuff? Like the ferragamo shoes for example. Anyone bought it and has the same? Is it the same exact?? How
Do they do it? Someone once told they produce more of the real after hours. I wonder if that’s true.
Another point. I love designer, always did. Never was able to afford. At this point I would treat myself to an expensive shoe. But I feel like if I buy myself Chanel shoes now it lost it’s value. And everyone will think it’s fake! Anyone get me? (And no I don’t live for others only but if I’m buying designer I want to feel designer) hard to explain I’m sure a lot of u understand

No, the cheap fakes are not "made in the same factory after hours."

And, frankly, even if they were, the same factory can make cheap dreck and high-quality goods.

You have just described one of the many reasons that no frum person should ever purchase counterfeit goods. You are devaluing the product of someone else. Stealing. Think of it this way. You decide to send your children to a school because Rabbi So-and-So runs it, and all the teachers follow such and such interpretation, and have masters degrees and smicha and I don't know what else. First day, you find out that its not Rabbi So-and-So, its some other guy with the same hair cut using his name. And while the teachers all wear the levush, they're not even frum, just pretending, and don't have degrees.

Well, that's fake goods for you.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a pair of cap toes shoes, for example, and buying a cheap pair. There's something wrong with the Chanel tag on those cheap shoes.

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 4:17 pm
amother [ Lightgreen ] wrote:
I.e. Wynken, bobo choses, tiny cottons, MarMar. I heard they take the leftover fabric and produce more of the same items.

I come on.

Do you really think that brands allow their fabrics and designs to be used for counterfeit goods? "Oh, please, go ahead and steal money from us."

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 5:36 pm
amother [ Daylily ] wrote:
I come on.

Do you really think that brands allow their fabrics and designs to be used for counterfeit goods? "Oh, please, go ahead and steal money from us."

I’ve bought a lot from aliexpress over the past few years and compared many items to the originals. Obviously, the high end brands are not real, but you can buy high quality copies with beautiful leather. For lower end designers such as BASH or Zadig and Voltaire, or even brands like Zara and Massimo Dutti, my theory is they are selling imperfect items from the factory. I have compared these items and you are welcome to do the same.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 5:54 pm
It’s called trying to pretend you are wealthy when you aren’t.

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 6:00 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I’ve bought a lot from aliexpress over the past few years and compared many items to the originals. Obviously, the high end brands are not real, but you can buy high quality copies with beautiful leather. For lower end designers such as BASH or Zadig and Voltaire, or even brands like Zara and Massimo Dutti, my theory is they are selling imperfect items from the factory. I have compared these items and you are welcome to do the same.

Go ahead and buy knock offs without the brand name.

Putting the brand name on an unauthorized product is called counterfeiting. Its illegal. And your knowingly purchasing a counterfeit product is unethical.

mizle10

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 6:14 pm
Most of it looks like junk. Non brand name stuff for the same price of these knock off looks nicer.

I agree, everyone wearing fakes ruins some of the joy of splurging on something for yourself.

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 6:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They are not made by the same factory. I have friends whose stuff was copied. Some of them try to get the copycats to take it down, some threaten to sue. It's very hard.

People who put their heart and soul into what they produce, use quality materials, and then some cheap guy from China copies them and offers it at a price that they can never match. Just the quality control and making sure it meets standards costs more. And they start to lose business.

The Ali sellers even use their photographs from the owner's site, to sell the fake products. Then someone thinks that they bought the real thing and leaves a nasty comment about how the real person makes such poor quality goods.

It's stealing. Plain and simple. If you buy knockoff brand from Ali you are stealing from the people who created the product. Many of those people are Jews, btw. People who are yirei shamayim, who keep Torah and mitzvos. You're cheating them out of business.

One of my friends told me about how in China there are no real quality standards unless you force the issue. She said there is no way someone selling for that price on Ali is giving you safe stuff. There are carcinogens in the toys, in the plastics. She pays a ton of money to make sure her stuff (she manufactures in China) is quality and safe. She doesn't want to sell something and know that kids are getting carcinogens on their skin, in their mouths, etc.

Most of my friends understand that once they put a photo on the internet, sooner or later someone will steal their stuff and sell it on Ali. There's no way to earn a living and have a website without that happening. They try so hard to make sure it can't be done. Even putting watermarks on photos. Suing the Ali people. Reporting it to Google. Some of these efforts are successful. Some are less successful. The Ali guys are smart, they are techy, they work very hard to make sure customers think they are buying the real thing.

Plagiarism is not okay, stealing is not okay, copycats are not okay, selling stuff that doesn't meet safety standards is not okay.

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 6:25 pm
amother [ Lightgreen ] wrote:

No, the leftovers from the real brand end up in dumps. This is different stuff, with cheaper fabric and the leftovers also end up in dumps, but different dumps.

Amarante

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 7:08 pm
Morality and ethics aside, merchandise from Ali is NEVER the same as the authentic.

They aren't actually particularly good replicas - or not as good as the super high end replicas which aren't sold on Ali because it is too dangerous. I have examined the super high end replicas up close and they would be virtually indistinguishable from an authentic.

My friend was over and brought a knockoff of an extremely expensive bag she had bought. I am very familiar with the authentic and so I was able to show her how it deviated from the authentic and also from a high end more replica of the bag. The leather is not particularly nice although it is leather and not plastic.

It might pass muster if someone is just casually looking and isn't super well acquainted with the bag. On the other hand, my friend doesn't look or dress like someone who would carry a $8000 bag so I am not sure what the point is. Who is she fooling and why? I love beautiful leather bags and accessories but am particularly not fond of this high status bag because it is so impractical - it is heavy - it can only be carried in your hand or on your wrist because the handle is short and it is very cumbersome to close so you either wear it open like a tote or spend a lot of time opening and closing it.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 7:34 pm
I’m clueless when it comes to styles that are from luxury brands
I buy the style I like
That being said when I wentEretz Yisrael (a few yrs ago) I bought a pair of shoes at a regular shoe store
The heel was in a flower shape, copy of FURAGOMO
Is this illegal as well
Or is it only illegal in the US.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 7:59 pm
I agree to a degree.
I firmly believe many of these frum companies just buy of alibaba for pennies and resell for 100$
And the reason sometime people who "don't dress like they would have an 800$ bag" buy off ali items such as the scotch bonnet coats are because their kids are desperate to fit in and they can't afford it.
There is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't send a wrong message to say to the child you can afford a slightly different copy - most kids will be thrilled. And it IS a huge deal for kids to boost their egos and for some kids this means fitting in.

Also, I found the entire waterdale collection on alibaba. Obviously no one wants to buy 100 of each, but if you did, each item is about 9$ and then sell for 100 plus at least.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics