Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DS8 sometimes makes no sense

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 7:59 pm
DS8 is very smart. He does really well in school in Hebrew and English studies, good at math, reading.

BUT very often he says things that just don't make sense.

I.e. dh says story or a dvar torah on shabbos and he'll interrupt with a long winded ending/answer that just makes no sense. His face is all smiles and he feels like he hit the nail on the head and I can't help but worry.
another instance, His rebbi in school gives them challenging questions regarding the current chag and the boys go home and ask their families for help. it's a fun program. DS comes up with "pshetl" style explanations and it's plain gibberish.

I come from a large family and have a large family of my own and I never experienced such a thing.
should I worry or chalk it up to age?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 8:06 pm
Is his reading comprehension good? Does he follow instructions? Is he socially ok? Just throwing things out there.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 8:09 pm
Sounds like he might have a slight language delay.
I'm a school based SLP and I work on things like this with my students.
This does NOT mean he is dumb. Some kids need tools to critically think, analyze, and inference.

Please get him evaluated for speech

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 8:23 pm
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:
This does NOT mean he is dumb. Some kids need tools to critically think, analyze, and inference.

this sounds right. when he talks he comes across bright. if I'd talk to his rebbi he probably wouldn't know what I was talking about. who do I reach out to? and they may not see anything either cuz it's not often.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 9:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
this sounds right. when he talks he comes across bright. if I'd talk to his rebbi he probably wouldn't know what I was talking about. who do I reach out to? and they may not see anything either cuz it's not often.

Rebbeim often dont look at the deeper meaning behind why a boy is struggling. they just think he is struggling. but when you have a language delay, things that are easy for you to process, are challenging for someone who struggles with it.

if you speak to his rebbe ask him how your son is doing with gemara learning. thats a good indicator of recall, inferencing, higher cognitive thinking...
im not sure how it works, bc im on the other side of things where I have boys already approved.

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 10:13 pm
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:

I wish I had known this for my 13 year old. I chalked it up to him being young for his age all this time. Can you recommend workbooks or games I can work/play with him at home?

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 10:23 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
I wish I had known this for my 13 year old. I chalked it up to him being young for his age all this time. Can you recommend workbooks or games I can work/play with him at home?

How old is your son now?

Rubies

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 11:01 pm
I think at 8 it can still be very much age appropriate more so when they're smarter than the norm. Sometimes the other parts of development need to catch up to the brain.
I wouldn't be concerned yet. He's trying to share and make you proud. Just keep an eye on this and gently guide at other times.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 11:10 pm
Look up NVLD and see if it resonates.
https://www.understood.org/art.....ities
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children