Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What do you think of…

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 8:53 am
This as a gift for a friend of mine hosting me for shabbos. (I would get 2 sets so she’d get 8).

Acrylic Lucite Set of 4 Square Beveled Napkin Rings by Sparkle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q.....4HF1F

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 8:56 am
its really nice but I would give minimum 12

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 8:59 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
its really nice but I would give minimum 12

Really? She’s a young family with 3 little kids k’h. So she has plenty extra for guests (even if she gives her baby a napkin ring lol)

happy chick

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 9:05 am
they're beautiful, but do you know her well enough to know that she'll enjoy something like this? I would never use such a gift, but I have a friend who I know would def love them.

It's a beautiful gift idea, but you have to know that she'll appreciate it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 9:07 am
happy chick wrote:
they're beautiful, but do you know her well enough to know that she'll enjoy something like this? I would never use such a gift, but I have a friend who I know would def love them.

It's a beautiful gift idea, but you have to know that she'll appreciate it.

Would it be weird to give with gift receipt? She’s a very close friend of mine but I’m not so good with picking up on people’s styles. I know she likes when things look nice and I know that lucite everything is very in now lol

SG18

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 9:32 am
I think 8 would be enough. As a new couple, I have 8 dishes, glasses, etc.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 9:38 am
The original purpose of napkin rings was to identify who each napkin belonged to, as they were not washed after each use. One reason I don't use them.

But the question is, does your friend use cloth napkins on a regular basis?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:36 am
SixOfWands wrote:
The original purpose of napkin rings was to identify who each napkin belonged to, as they were not washed after each use. One reason I don't use them.

But the question is, does your friend use cloth napkins on a regular basis?

I don’t know but I see people use napkin rings with disposable napkins 🤷‍♀️

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:38 am
You have to know her. To me, this is just more clutter. Whats wrong with flowers and candy?

mindyme

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:39 am
Can use them with pretty floral napkins, would look gorgeous. Even with heavy duty white would be pretty. If she can exchange easily even better. I think this is the kind of thing people may not use often esp with little kids around but so nice to be able to pull out when needed and not the kind of thing one may buy themselves. Love that they dont roll! You're such a thoughtful friend OP

SuperWify

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:44 am
These are very pretty. I have them.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:46 am
I happen to love napkin rings and 8 is plenty so I'd say yes, but on the other hand they are a very specific style. I use napking rings every shabbos, usually with cloth and sometimes with fancy paper, but I would not use these because I'm not a fan of Lucite. So as long as it's her style, great gift

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:58 am
I think they're really pretty.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:58 am
Ok thanks everyone!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:59 am
watergirl wrote:
You have to know her. To me, this is just more clutter. Whats wrong with flowers and candy?

Flowers and candy don’t last. I personally wouldn’t appreciate that (though I would the gesture of course) 🤷‍♀️

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 12:03 pm
watergirl wrote:

This. I’d regift.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Flowers and candy don’t last. I personally wouldn’t appreciate that (though I would the gesture of course) 🤷‍♀️

Right. So you know your friend and the gift is for HER, not you, so you have to give her what you think SHE would like, ya know? I am not the type to want someone to pick out something for me that "lasts". I don't like clutter and extra stuff and if I am going to accumulate something that "lasts", I want to pick it out myself. That's me, obviously. You just have to know her.

Lucite is one of those things... you love or not. Napkin rings also... you love or not. Why not ask her if it's something she would use before you buy it?

There is a couple who comes to me often for shabbos meals. The husband recently asked me what kind of hostess gift I prefer. I told him no gifts at this point! But it makes them feel better not to come empty handed, so he said, are you candy people or wine people? I really appreciated it. You have to know what the recipient likes, ya know?

You are very thoughtful to even consider this and even more thoughtful to open a thread asking opinions! Even if she does not like these, the sentiment won't go unnoticed by your friend.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics