Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Suppers for vacation

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:19 am
Any idea of foods to bring along for vacation where no kosher food is available?
Also, what are good HEALTHY snacks to nosh on?
TIA

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:22 am
If you want real fancy meals, some restaurants vacuum pack food for you. But it’s not cheap.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:23 am
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
If you want real fancy meals, some restaurants vacuum pack food for you. But it’s not cheap.

Oh I’m kinda on a budget unfortunately though..

amother
Azalea

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:24 am
I would assume you could buy fruits and vegetables so healthy snacks shouldn't be a problem..

I stick to to foods you can make on a sandwich press or electric griller. Tuna/cheese toast, French fries, burgers, hot dogs, steaks...

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:27 am
Will you have access to cooking facilities? A burner, a microwave?

There is kosher food available in almost every place -- but it may not be cooked.

If you bring along (or buy an inexpensive) pot or pan, then you can make pasta, tuna salad, all sorts of things with eggs.

You can eat fruits and vegetables.

Peanut butter.

Cereal. Granola bars.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:27 am
Will you have kitchen facilities? Will you easily be able to buy fresh fruits and veggies? Are you flying or driving?

pause

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:28 am
Will you have access to a microwave? You can bring along double-wrapped individual meals of your favorite food to rewarm in a hotel microwave.

Can you bring along or buy there small appliances? A Betty Crocker pizza maker or a crockpot can give you delicious fresh meals if you bring along the components. I've brought along bags that were all ready as a crockpot meal, including spices, but frozen so easy to transport. For example, chicken nuggets, rice, sliced carrots for one night; chicken bottoms and quinoa for another night, and beef stew with lentils and assorted root vegetables for another. Just add water and let it cook overnight.

I've used a Betty Crocker in a hotel room to make grilled cheese sandwiches, eggs of all kinds, and eggplant parmesan.

You can also bring along a single electric burner and use disposable pans to rewarm or make fresh on the go.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:30 am
Flying- no kosher kitchen facilities.
We’re just staying in the hotel- not even renting a car so just want to have everything with me and not have to go out.
Besides that there are no kosher stores there. Actually there may be one or two but for a fortune

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh I’m kinda on a budget unfortunately though..

So we enjoy breads, wraps, packaged cold cuts, jerky, corn cakes

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:36 am
Ty all! Writing down all the different options here lol
Keep ‘‘em coming!

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:40 am
Tortillas/wraps take up almost no room in your luggage and are very handy.

I've even made grilled cheese sandwiches with tortillas, sliced cheese, aluminum foil, and a hotel iron TMI

Also, nuts and dried fruit make for a very filling snack when you need quick energy on the go.

There are plenty of kosher products in most regular supermarkets, esp if you will be in the US.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:53 am
Snacks

Whole wheat Pretzels
Rice cakes
Sliced cheese
String cheese
Peanut butter
Apples
Baby carrots
Granola bar
Oatmeal packets
Whole wheat crackers
Popcorn

Meals:
Can tuna
Pita bread
Can pickles
Deli
Whole wheat bread
Grilled chicken cutlets
Brown rice ramen noodles - cooked in hot water
Hard boiled eggs

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:56 am
Following. Ty!

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:14 am
Depending on where you are going, you can contact the local chabad for a list of acceptable items from the supermarket. For example, when I was in Spain I got a list that said which bread was okay. I made lots of sandwiches with other items I could find in the stores like peanut butter, canned artichoke hearts, fresh tomatoes, etc.

For healthy snacks you can get fresh produce of course or if you want to bring dried fruit (dried mango...yum!) and nuts, those are always good, healthy snacks.

SG18

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:27 am
I like bringing already made schnitzel for schnitzel sandwiches
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics