Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Tell me about non academic high schools

busymother

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 11:57 am
Anywhere in US. Desperately looking for my daughter. Academics are really hard for her, she needs another way to shine.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:22 pm
In addition to being a good fit for DD, you also need a place with a dorm, which narrows your options. Temimah in Atlanta has a reputation as being extremely warm, and I believe OOT'ers go there, either dorming or boarding with local families. You could also try Mesorah in Dallas and BY of Denver, and closer to home - BY of Scranton. My info on all these isn't from personal experience, so you'd need to check the academic level and see if it's what you're looking for.

busymother

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 7:24 pm
Ok thanks. Does anyone know if those schools focus on academics? I have family in Flatbush and Lakewood that she can dorm by if needed

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 7:31 pm
busymother wrote:
Anywhere in US. Desperately looking for my daughter. Academics are really hard for her, she needs another way to shine.

What level of frumkeit?

nicole81

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 7:34 pm
busymother wrote:
Ok thanks. Does anyone know if those schools focus on academics? I have family in Flatbush and Lakewood that she can dorm by if needed

NYS has regents exams that your daughter will have to pass in order to graduate. I don't know how much she struggles, but if passing 5 culminating exams (not terribly hard, but high stakes) sounds like something that might get in the way of her success, definitely look into NJ as opposed to NY.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 7:35 pm
amother [ DarkPurple ] wrote:
In addition to being a good fit for DD, you also need a place with a dorm, which narrows your options. Temimah in Atlanta has a reputation as being extremely warm, and I believe OOT'ers go there, either dorming or boarding with local families. You could also try Mesorah in Dallas and BY of Denver, and closer to home - BY of Scranton. My info on all these isn't from personal experience, so you'd need to check the academic level and see if it's what you're looking for.

Pretty sure that Atlanta, while an amazing school, is extremely academic.

2 that come to mind are BY of Passaic and BY of Miami.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 9:36 pm
Providence RI
the girls high school has two track for this purpose--- one track is more standard, and one is slower, more remedial for girls who need it.
the girls from outside of Providence who attend tend to be solid girls who struggle academically. They are usually from NY/NJ, but there are always a few from other places. The girls board with local families and they are very much integrated into the school.
In the past, the school would take anyone with two legs. They have become more selective in the past few years and really only take solid girls who don't have major issues with frumkeit/observance, but need a slower pace, warmer environment, etc....

busymother

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 11:35 am
My email doesn’t send to me anymore, didn’t realize more people responded! Thank you all! I will b”n look into all suggestions.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 11:52 am
busymother wrote:

You would need serious pull to get into a Lakewood high school. Assuming you are related to the principals or something like that and have that pull, I would mention that there are high schools in Lakewood that work with solid frum girls who aren't academic. Both Bais Kaila and Chedvas have tracks.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 1:09 pm
Yotzer Ohr in North Miami Beach, FL. They have a dorm and sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

They focus on bringing out any natural talent a girl may have, as not everybody is cut out or has the ability to go through the mainstream school system.

https://www.yomiami.org/

busymother

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:39 am
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
Yotzer Ohr in North Miami Beach, FL. They have a dorm and sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

They focus on bringing out any natural talent a girl may have, as not everybody is cut out or has the ability to go through the mainstream school system.

https://www.yomiami.org/

This is actually the place that’s pulling me the most… do you send there? Can I pm you?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children