Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
The scariest thing... (leaving children in car alone)
Previous  1  2

square_peg

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 6:14 am
Quote:
The main source of the problem is all the side by side double strollers not allowing a/o to enter the store aisles. That's why only tandem was an option for me.

The main source of the problem is the irresponsibility of these women. At one point my kids were both under the age of 2. (and I guess lots of women in bp have that at some point) Guess what? I just could not go shopping with them.

There should never be the "option" of leaving your children unattended.

There was once a bp store who had taken her little girl of maybe 8 or 9, stationed her outside of the store, and told the mothers her daughter will watch the kids. That was also a no go for me. She already had approximatley 12 strollers there already.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 7:27 am
Quote:

The main source of the problem is the irresponsibility of these women.

Well, yes, like I said, some even leave their SINGLE strollers outside of roomy stores.

But there are women who normally wouldn't leave their kids who would rationalize if the stroller doesn't fit and they really want to go in.

Quote:
At one point my kids were both under the age of 2. Guess what? I just could not go shopping with them.

I didn't want that, so I got a tandem.

mammala120

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 9:23 am
ss321 wrote:
what you did is truly laudable. I wish more people would act so selflessly.

If I were in that situation, I wouldve called the police. like the last poster said, the only logical reason any sane person would leave their young child + baby alone in a running car is if there were indeed some sort of emergency and she ran in to find a phone. So im sure police help would be warranted. and if not, maybe seeing the police there would scare her enough (and perhaps cost her enough monetarily and time wise as well - I hpe you get a hefty ticket for such an offense), and would be embarassing enough, that shed never do something so dangerous ever again.

OMG

your story left me w/ my mouth open

she would not get a ticket for leaving her kids alone in teh car, but she would risk loosing them to foster care until case gets settled for child neglect and risk of endangerement of children left in car. police might of also arrested her. best thing todo in such cases when jewish families are involved is to call hatzalah or shomrim if it is available in your area, but if not then police call would be warranted to save children especially the crying baby wiht not enough oxygen in car and running engine (carbon monoxide endangerment).
What do people use , centainly not their brain. Banging head

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 9:41 am
The non jews do it too, I regularly see kids in cars or the shoplady tells me "just leave the stroller outside, don't be annoyed by dragging it along"... errr sorry, I drag it along anyway...
If the stroller don't fit, maybe you're in a mall where you can get caddies and you just put the kid in it - of course this is not before what... 4 or 5 months?

If you're just browsing and it's a small kid, you can hold it.

Of course the risk is tiny! but why take it??

Prison I disagree it's not a danger! it's full of dangerous violent people, and many may be of ethnicities that often hate Jews. Who cares if you get kosher food and rabbi visits if you're beaten up or more??
Also, don't you know prisons are 3 or 4 times too crowded, dirty, and there are cases of torture??

mumoo

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 12:46 pm
mammala120 wrote:

she would not get a ticket for leaving her kids alone in teh car

she would in Chicago:

Quote:
CHICAGO - Treffly Coyne was out of her car for just minutes and no more than 10 yards away.

But that was long and far enough to land her in court after a police officer spotted her sleeping 2-year-old daughter alone in the vehicle; Coyne had taken her two older daughters to pour $8.29 in coins into a Salvation Army kettle.

Minutes later, she was under arrest — the focus of both a police investigation and a probe by the state’s child welfare agency. Now the case that has become an Internet flash point for people who either blast police for overstepping their authority or Coyne for putting a child in danger.

The 36-year-old suburban mother is preparing to go on trial Thursday on misdemeanor charges of child endangerment and obstructing a peace officer. If convicted, she could be sentenced to a year in jail and fined $2,500, even though child welfare workers found no credible evidence of abuse or neglect.

On Dec. 8 Coyne decided to drive to Wal-Mart in the Chicago suburb of Crestwood so her children and a young friend could donate the coins they’d collected at her husband’s office.

Even as she buckled 2-year-old Phoebe into the car, the girl was asleep. When Coyne arrived at the store, she found a spot to park in a loading zone, right behind someone tying a x-mas tree onto a car.

“It’s sleeting out, it’s not pleasant, I don’t want to disturb her, wake her up,” Coyne said this week. “It was safer to leave her in the safety and warmth of an alarmed car than take her.”

So Coyne switched on the emergency flashers, locked the car, activated the alarm and walked the other children to the bell ringer.

She snapped a few pictures of the girls donating money and headed back to the car. But a community service officer blocked her way.

“She was on a tirade, she was yelling at me,” Coyne said. The officer, Coyne said, didn’t want to hear about how close Coyne was, how she never set foot inside the store and was just there to let the kids donate money, or how she could always see her car.

Coyne telephoned her husband, Tim Janecyk, who advised her not to say anything else to police until he arrived. So Coyne declined to talk further, refusing even to tell police her child’s name.

When Janecyk pulled up, his wife already was handcuffed, sitting in a patrol car.

already went to trial, she was not convicted

justanothermother

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 12:49 pm
I was reading about this. She has sued the police department.

While she was sitting in the police car handcuffed, her two older children were left sitting alone inside Walmart.

mumoo

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 1:19 pm
yeah, that makes sense- Rolling Eyes

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 1:58 pm
Did anyone read the letter in the BInah this week about the woman who left her kids with a monitor at the neighbors? I am 1000% anti monitor, and just dont leave my house if there isnt an adult present IN MY HOUSE. when I read this letter, I cried!

GAMZu

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 2:00 pm
I didn't read it. Can you summarize?

MahPitom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 2:35 pm
Step number one: if people won’t start walking around the block with strollers as a scare tactic, mothers will continue to leave their kids in the front. Ever notice how they take their pocketbooks and leave their babies? I wonder what’s more of a priority.

Finally, I know the original story was about an 8 year old, but I know of an 11 year old who was left in the car for just a ‘minute’. He wanted to yell after the father for a second so he got up and rested his knees on the armrest of the door so he can see over the half/opened window. When he was in that position, his knee bumped the window button and the window went up, strangling his head. His father was greeted with a gruesome site 4 minutes later when he came out of the store. A blue head hanging out.

Need I say more?

Blossom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 5:33 pm
Quote:
Step number one: if people won’t start walking around the block with strollers as a scare tactic, mothers will continue to leave their kids in the front. Ever notice how they take their pocketbooks and leave their babies? I wonder what’s more of a priority.

I actually wanted to do that today when I saw 3 strollers with babies inside outside a store and the street was not so busy. I was just scared of being arrested for attempted kidnapping. Rolling Eyes

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 5:38 pm
Quote:
Ever notice how they take their pocketbooks and leave their babies? I wonder what’s more of a priority.
yes, it's absolutely wrong to leave your kid!! they take their purses bec 1. they need them in the store to buy something and 2. it's more likely and easier for someone to snatch a purse than a baby.

Cdlf

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 5:43 pm
My own husband left my 2 year sleeping in his car today! She fell asleep and he was on his phone while exiting the car. I should also mention that he has never taken the baby anywhere without any other kids in the car. He didn't even notice until I got to his store and asked where the baby was. She was B"H fast asleep and it's B"H cold outside. She was alone for close to 1/2 hour, from 6:00-6:30. We are both still shaking.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics